Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

223-1.jpg

When did they open the base of the Paramount? I'll have to walk over to take a look this week. Looks great.

Does anyone feel that the old Filenes is better than the current Macy's?

Does anyone NOT feel that way? I don't understand why they kept Jordan's instead of Filene's once the merger happened.

223-1.jpg

When did they open the base of the Paramount? I'll have to walk over to take a look this week. Looks great.

It just happened in the last 10 days. I can't find a link, but read about it.

Did you get into the Paramount lobby or are these shot through the glass doors from outside?

Boston Business Journal - May 6, 2010
Menino pushes for city's first BID

by Mary Moore

Downtown business leaders and Mayor Thomas M. Menino kicked off a signature drive Thursday to draw as many property owners as possible into the Downtown Boston Business Improvement District, which, if created, would be the city?s first.

During a press conference held at 101 Arch St. that had the feel of a pep rally, Menino urged property owners in the area to sign a petition in favor of creating the improvement district. So far, about 200 property owners have signed on and the BID is about halfway to its goal, said Menino.

Fidelity Investments and State Street are among the two most recent property owners to sign on. Jerry Rappaport, CEO of New Boston Fund, which has its offices on State Street, and Mark Weld, managing partner of ING Clarion, which is at 101 Arch St., were on hand at the press conference.

In order to be approved, the BID needs 61 percent of the owners within the boundaries of the district to sign on. John Rattigan of DLA Piper and chairman of the BID Board of Directors said he hopes enough signatures will be gathered by summer to bring the BID proposal to the Boston City Council for approval.

?They?ll probably act on this before they act on my budget,? Menino quipped.

Menino acknowledged that Boston has tried, and failed, to create a BID in the past. ?But we?ve never been this close,? he said. ?It?s time to pick up the ball? and take it across the finish line, he said. He noted the changes in downtown Boston, particularly near Downtown Crossing. Menino predicted new restaurants would open downtown, adding that the proposed BID is happening ?at the right time? for the downtown.

The signature-gathering process so far has been ?methodical? and has required talking to property owners one-by-one, said Rosemarie Sansone, president of the BID.

The BID, which will be managed and governed by the property owners in the district, will provide additional services to the downtown area, including a team of 35 street workers who will work from 11 a.m. until 7 p.m., seven days a week, Sansone said. The workers will answer questions for the public and respond to needs within the BID area.

Menino promised a ?special prize? for the person who gathers the most new signatures on BID petitions, bringing laughs from the crowd. Asked after the press conference what that special prize would be, Menino smiled and said, ?It?s my secret.?

Menino said:
?It?s time to pick up the ball? and take it across the finish line, he said.
It was time for that years ago.

The fans have gone home.

What changed the Mayor's mind on this subject? I thought he had opposed it in the past.

Maybe he should offer tax cuts to restore a lively downtown rather than to keep a ginormous well-off corporation that wants out.

The workers will answer questions for the public and respond to needs within the BID area.

E.g. herding the sheep back into the Filene's hole.

The BID will raise funds through self imposed taxes to pay for all the streetscape improvements, security, and maintenance which the city neglects to do with regular tax revenue.

Back