Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

Hancock Building is 35 years old. Will there ever be a new "Boston's tallest"?

Tommy's Tower probably would have been Boston's tallest if the fiancing was available. I'm not crazy on the location but you might see 800FT there?

The problem is LOGAN AIRPORT.

I don't think the developer was capable of building a project this big. He struck me as nothing more than a blow hard.

Tommy's Tower probably would have been Boston's tallest if the fiancing was available. I'm not crazy on the location but you might see 800FT there?

The problem is LOGAN AIRPORT.

Nope TT was also stopped by the FAA.

Best location for new tallest? Over the Pike.

Today seemed unnaturally quiet in downtown. We went out for a walk down the Greenway and into Faneuil Hall and things were quiet. You'd think with a long weekend for many that there'd be a lot of tourists, visitors, etc., but I think the weather, etc., kept people inside.

We had a couple-three $1 drafts at Sissy K's and a snack. Worth visiting if you're down that way. The Hong Kong next door has $1 beers, too.

Red Auerbach was keeping warm.

I work at a restaurant in the marketplace and business has been miserable since Christmas. A lot of it has been the weather the past few weeks, but I think now that the college kids are back and going to the bars over the weekend Faneuil Hall will pick up.

The Marketplace is actually putting up a small skating rink where the "holiday" tree was, including a rental kiosk to bring business back. I think it would've been better to put it on the Greenway where it would benefit the parks and the Marketplace, but alas. I would've plopped it right were the merry-go-round was all summer - the spot their squeezing it into now isn't really any bigger too, so the logistics match up.

I know but I don't think that's what is preventing it from being developed now.

I never said it was, lol. It hardly makes sense to say it does. Don't know where you got that from. All I said was that the parking lot was originally courtesy of LP.

Hayward Pl needs a building. I do think that it should be set further back for better sidewalk space/street views but leaving it as a parking lot or building a park is too much of a waste. There are other places in downtown which deserve a small park more than this lot.

Not sure about that. While I agree that a parking lot isn't so good, it is actually kind of a nice space when you consider the buildings around it. It very much has the look of a classic square. As is always the case in such matters, I vote for a beer garden.

Borders Books filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection this morning. They will close about 200 of their stores, but I haven't yet found a list of these. Bankruptcy allows a company to immediately terminate any lease that they don't want to keep.

Locally, Borders is in Downtown Crossing, the Newbry building in Back Bay, and the Cambridgeside Galleria. They're already in the process of closing at the Atrium in Chestnut Hill -- or maybe they've already finished closing it, but it's still listed in Borders' Store Locator.

(This is following up an earlier discussion here. If this turns out not to affect Downtown Crossing, we may want to move the discussion elsewhere.)

Last edited:
I really hope the DTX location stays, ugh.

Unless books go to 70% off because their closing. Then I'll be satisfied with buying every Images of America book they have of the Boston area.

Are there any other tenants in this building? Just some offices I assume?

I know some people like it, but I find it atrocious and would like to see a new development here. Perhaps to compliment 45 Province.

edit: Actually I like the Province side. The front side sucks.

At Borders DTX, the up-escalator was entirely disassembled last week, and remains untouched. Only a fraction of visitors go to the 2nd floor on the elevator. The escalator may just be awaiting repair, but one can't help but see it as a stark symbol of the company's condition and possible liquidation.

At Borders DTX, the up-escalator was entirely disassembled last week, and remains untouched. Only a fraction of visitors go to the 2nd floor on the elevator. The escalator may just be awaiting repair, but one can't help but see it as a stark symbol of the company's condition and possible liquidation.

A couple weeks ago it was the down escalator, I think. The other was stopped so you could walk down if you wanted, but I think everyone took the elevator to go down.

If that happened, the building would be reverting to its original purpose. But that would be a shame for the plaza and the shopping area.

it's such a complicated space...really only a giant chain could move in or, it would never happen, but i'd love to see a NYC Diamond District style for jewelry and art dealers with dozens of booths. We already have some shops like that on Washington but nothing really grand

Back