Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

How about suggesting that a super-tall be built and the shelter be relocated within the new tower.

I don't get this out-of-sight out-of-mind viewpoint. If poverty and/or homelessness exists, why shouldn't it be completely evident in our day-to-day lives?

We don't have a like system, but your post gets one from me. The more we usher blight into the corners, the more we fail to see a need to address the route cause. St. Francis house has been there for several decades,I see no reason for it to leave until there is no longer a population to serve.

I'm actually not worried about the drunk homeless guy.
I'm worried about the desperate Heroin junkie desperate for a quick fix who has HIV.
It's not a very positive scene on the Boston Common edge near Tremont St.

Another area that has a drug rehab in the center of the city is Lynn Ma. The city of sin. Lynn has the bones to becoming a cool downtown area to live near a especially when the blue line extension reaches Lynn. Will Lynn ever succeed? probably not.....Also during the day their are so many zombies roaming that area because of the rehab center. It's just very sad.

It's similar situation like Baycove near Northstation.

Took another walk in DTX tonight.

A nice touch...

Lambert's outdoor market at Summer & Washington is open 24/7. The guy told me if they do well over the holidays they will operate the market 24/7 through the year. It's not a premium quality market, but it's got character and so do the employees.

Happy World AIDS Day!

What exactly is your fear about this desperate heroin junkie? Do you plan on having anal sex with him?

I'm actually not worried about the drunk homeless guy.
I'm worried about the desperate Heroin junkie desperate for a quick fix who has HIV.
It's not a very positive scene on the Boston Common edge near Tremont St.

^Lurker

I questioned the idea that the homeless should be moved to Roxbury out of sight of Bostonians and in sight of Roxbury denizens rather than co-existing here.
Me too. That's why I called that whats-his-face an asshole.

There are consequences for being a screw up and to not penalize failure is a recipe for disaster.

Wait, you're talking about Wall St bankers, right?

I think it was a reference to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac...

Happy World AIDS Day!

What exactly is your fear about this desperate heroin junkie? Do you plan on having anal sex with him?

I would be worried taking a walk at night and getting jumped by one of them for whatever change I had in my pocket. Those people are so desperate they might actually kill you for 10 bucks.

You sell your soul when you start to do those types of drugs.

^ So why did you insert HIV into the description?

ehh, n/m

Lambert's outdoor market at Summer & Washington is open 24/7. The guy told me if they do well over the holidays they will operate the market 24/7 through the year. It's not a premium quality market, but it's got character and so do the employees.

This is honestly some of the best news I've heard about DTX in looong time. The fact they feel DTX can support this kind of venture speaks volumes about the area. Let's hope that it is the start of a trend rather then an aberration.

^ So why did you insert HIV into the description?

ehh, n/m

Because what happens if he stabbed you with his needle? Enough with the Junkie stuff. I just happened to walk around the area last weekend and I saw alot of drug addicts just sitting around like zombies.

It's funny about the uproar over OWS about selling drugs to each other but the drug addicts have been hanging out at the Boston Common everyday since my birth.

Thats it.

So everyone agrees that widening the retail side of Tremont street would be a good idea?

What about adding the row of tree on each side of the street? yea/nay?

Every agree that those planters do have to go, right?

What about the idea of extending the wrought iron fence along Tremont St?

Top notch ideas.

Plus: Minimum of concrete sidewalks on all ladder streets, no more sloppy black tar sidewalks.

Less critical: On Tremont, quality sidewalks (pavers? cobbled?, brick?) instead of concrete. At least in some areas, maybe fronting the Tremont on the Common tower.

Not sure about this one: A median with plantings, maybe three lanes on one side, turn right on Boyston on the other? Just for traffic calming. Disclaimer: I am an amateur about the traffic issues here.

Not brick, please. It looks great but causes real problems for disabled and even less-than-sure-footed folks, especially as it gets old and starts to loosen.

So everyone agrees that widening the retail side of Tremont street would be a good idea?

#1 Nay.....Tremnont St just needs to redevelop it's ground floor retail to be more welcoming to the park.

#2 Not sure what you mean about the planters. I don't think they bother me

#3 Nay..... the wrought iron fence is a bad idea in that area. I like the open feel to the park connected to the street. So I can cross anytime in that area to get downtown.

#4 Get rid of the zombies and the strip will have a much more positive vibe. Move them to Roxbury in Gooseberry hood.

It's been said before, just as classless, that "if you turn the lights on, the rats scatter", and it's true in this case....

I have run the perimeter of the Boston Common a couple hundred times during the past five or six years and I dread the path from the State House to Park Street and from Park Street to the corners of Tremont and Boylston because of the "derelicts".

Which Paul Rudolph monstrosity do you speak of? The Lindemann Center?

The Lindemann is the the Paul Rudolph monstrosity -- talk of landscapers -- I would rather have a nice big precast concrete garage than the Lindemann on that block

John -- I think we should properly care for those who through no fault of their own can not care for themselves -- thus re-institutionalize the insane and those mentally defficient unable to care for themselves

Druggies, bums and wnos who are quiet and civil can stay where ever they are -- But:
parks, sidewalks and city streets must be free of agressive, violent persons -- that is the primary role of the city or town

That means no living on the streets, sidewalks or on the paths and lawn of the parks

@Rifleman Really? Those planters are hideous!

@Sicilian I was going to add a suggestion about the median as well. As a rule I'm opposed to medians but it might work here?

@Ron Yeah, unless the brick is maintained like it is at P.O. Square it just doesn't work as a sidewalk material.

If you get a chance check out the new wire cut bricks on mass ave in the south end. They are built to be handicap accessible.

The Tremont Street edge of the Common needs to be softer and greener. Restoration of lawns along Tremont Street with fencing and gateways, will clarify and formalize this edge. Lawn areas should be broken frequently to allow easy entry and exit. This generally follows the treatment shown in the 1901 plan of the Common.

Along Lafayette Mall benches, trash receptacles and signs at entrances (according to the 1986 sign plan) should return the mall to a gracious promenade. An allee of trees, planted in the large setback lawns, should be brought as close to this edge of the Common as the underground subway will allow. Priority should be given to opportunities for improvement that would accompany MBTAor other projects which will affect the Tremont Street area.

http://www.friendsofthepublicgarden.org/BostonCommonMgtPlan1996.pdf

Come springtime 2012, the Brewer Fountain Plaza will include folding chairs and tables-some with umbrellas- a reading room, a gourmet food truck and, an additional perk, live piano music during lunch. In phase two, more hardscape and landscape improvements are scheduled. These changes will match improvements made to the Common along Tremont St and in front of the Lowes theaters and Ritz Carlton. New fencing and a green strip will separate the park from Tremont Street. The original fence that provided a barrier between the Common and the street was taken down at the turn of the 20th century while the subway was being built. Today the park and street seem to bleed into one another; the addition of a green, grassy strip will restore a sense of separation, defining the Common as its own space and an escape from the city streets. The pathway improvements will enhance the connection from Park St. station to the Brewer Plaza and help define the alignment of the Liberty Mall pathway. This final phase should be complete sometime in spring 2013.

http://fopg.wordpress.com/#!/cover

There use to be an extremely ornamental gate by Park St and an ornate entry way for the T across the street, sort of a smaller version of Copley. It would be great to restore these someday.

Last edited:
I hope the green strip will be in a raised, curb bed, otherwise the edges will be worn to dirt almost immediately.

Back