Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

Offtopic: I was in Manhattan this week for the first time in a few years and a trip to that city always sees to help me appreciate Boston a whole lot more.

Boston also just ranked #5 overall happiest US city and #1 overall major city, unless you count Honolulu:

http://www.menshealth.com/best-life/frown-towns

NY ranked #39 behind Buffalo

If you get a chance check out the new wire cut bricks on mass ave in the south end. They are built to be handicap accessible.

http://www.friendsofthepublicgarden.org/BostonCommonMgtPlan1996.pdf

http://fopg.wordpress.com/#!/cover

There use to be an extremely ornamental gate by Park St and an ornate entry way for the T across the street, sort of a smaller version of Copley. It would be great to restore these someday.

Paul -- the Friends of the Public Garden / Boston Common who are the drivers for these improemets / restorations are:

1) well connected
2) have lots of taste
3) have lots of money which they are willing to contribute (I think that they bought the wooden benches)

Not brick, please. It looks great but causes real problems for disabled and even less-than-sure-footed folks, especially as it gets old and starts to loosen.

I agree, but I do like brick or stone accents, which should not particularly interfere with accessibility.

#1 Nay.....Tremnont St just needs to redevelop it's ground floor retail to be more welcoming to the park.
I also think this is more important than what is done to the sidewalk. There are examples in cities as diverse as New York, L.A., and even elsewhere in Bostson where a plane jane normal width sidewalk works fine for high levels of pedestrian traffic. The issue is attracting pedestrians.
#4 Get rid of the zombies and the strip will have a much more positive vibe. Move them to Roxbury in Gooseberry hood.
You are going to have to explain why the residents of Roxbury should be more obliged to live with the "zombies" than are the rest of us. And what is this Gooseberry term? Please explain that to me, because otherwise I'll just assume it's some sort of veiled racism.

Offtopic: I was in Manhattan this week for the first time in a few years and a trip to that city always sees to help me appreciate Boston a whole lot more.

Boston also just ranked #5 overall happiest US city and #1 overall major city, unless you count Honolulu:

http://www.menshealth.com/best-life/frown-towns

NY ranked #39 behind Buffalo

Bub -- this is just a ratification of the old adage sepparating Boston from NYC and Philly on meeting a new acquaintance at a party

In Philly they ask -- who are his parents?
in NYC they ask how much is he worth?
in Boston they ask what does he know?

If you are concerned about the first two you will forever be disatisfied as someone has better pedigree or better bank account

But if you are concerned with knowledge - - you are part of a global fraternityan engaged in an unending quest -- and thus Boston is the HUB of the Knowledge Economy (well OK Cambridge ausi)

Paul -- the Friends of the Public Garden / Boston Common who are the drivers for these improemets / restorations are:

1) well connected
2) have lots of taste
3) have lots of money which they are willing to contribute (I think that they bought the wooden benches)

So what, who cares. You should be happy some one has taked the lead, the city won't.

You are going to have to explain why the residents of Roxbury should be more obliged to live with the "zombies" than are the rest of us. And what is this Gooseberry term? Please explain that to me, because otherwise I'll just assume it's some sort of veiled racism.

Gooseberry Term was a joke because he took Whighlander post to heart calling him an asshole for transporting the druggies to Roxbury. I just thought he might be from that area. So I threw out a dig specifically at Gooseberry. Never meant to offend anybody since I grew up in the inner city. Whighlander could have said to ship the Druggies to Newton I would have made the same dig at Gooseberry. There is no difference to me where you send the druggies..........Just get off the BOSTON COMMON.

Racism is unexcusable on this board and will not be tolerated from me.

So what, who cares. You should be happy some one has taked the lead, the city won't.

Paul -- my point exactly

in my neighborhood of Lexington there are a number of us who walked with our dog friends in a local but minimal park area -- a little leauge field, basketball court, some kiddie swings, sandbox, jungle gym, drinking fountain and a wooden bench

several of the canophiles were also avid gardners such as my wife -- the combination led to the gardners taking on the responsibiility of beutiication of the park

An eledrly gentleman, one of the most active canophiles suffered the loss of his long time canine companion -- the gardners proposed planting a dog wood tree as a memorial behind the wooden bench to provide shade to the mothers watching their kids

That was more than 10 years ago -- today -- there are shrubs and flower beds (hundreds of tullips and other bulbs) that have been planted betwen the kid's area and the edge of the surrounding forest all carefully tended by the gardners

Now:

even non gardening canophiles and even some others even non-canophiles in the neighborhood participate in a couple of annual clean-up and planting projects
and
the town public works department actually provides some support in the way of refuse pick-up and mulch delivery

Last edited:
Gooseberry Term was a joke because he took Whighlander post to heart calling him an asshole for transporting the druggies to Roxbury. I just thought he might be from that area. So I threw out a dig specifically at Gooseberry. Never meant to offend anybody since I grew up in the inner city. Whighlander could have said to ship the Druggies to Newton I would have made the same dig at Gooseberry. There is no difference to me where you send the druggies..........Just get off the BOSTON COMMON.
Okay, thanks for explaining.
Racism is unexcusable on this board and will not be tolerated from me.

Agreed.

These are the only two pics I could find, they are click-able

http://rfi.bostonhistory.org/boston...oston/details.idc,SPECIFIC=4699,DATABASE=ITEM

http://rfi.bostonhistory.org/boston...oston/details.idc,SPECIFIC=4661,DATABASE=ITEM

don't forget that there have been record opium productions in Afganistan.

I live in what I call the golden triangle of the south end - 7-eleven, Hites, and Pine Street Inn, all on Washington St. The Pine St Inn on Washington St has a huge problem with drug dealing, not to mention an unsolved murder.

And what is this Gooseberry term? Please explain that to me, because otherwise I'll just assume it's some sort of veiled racism.

Great instincts there. "If I don't understand it, it must be racist." That's very broad-minded of you.

Great instincts there. "If I don't understand it, it must be racist." That's very broad-minded of you.

There's also the insistence on Roxbury, but what part about asking for clarification led you to believe I was making a blanket assumption? His comment could be read a certain way without context, I pointed that out. Be sure you don't jump to your own "broad-minded" conclusions.

[W]hat part about asking for clarification led you to believe I was making a blanket assumption? His comment could be read a certain way without context, I pointed that out. Be sure you don't jump to your own "broad-minded" conclusions.

Your words speak for themselves: "And what is this Gooseberry term? Please explain that to me, because otherwise I'll just assume it's some sort of veiled racism."

What he said looked out of line to me, I asked him for clarification. Is that so difficult to understand? "Please explain that to me," should be easy enough to comprehend.

I then accepted his clarification and thanked him for it. What exactly is your problem?

Sorry, Henry, I don't mean at all to argue with or antagonize you. I find the ubiquitous refrain of "that's racist" to be one of the more unfortunate hallmarks of contemporary American society and couldn't help but call out that instance of its abuse.

Chopping a lane out of Tremont street along the Common on the Downtown Cross side could work really well in improving the pedestrian experience. Hell it would be an opportunity to squeeze in a cycle track too. It's unfortunate that what should be a prominent street facing the parkland is full of crummy fast food joints and convenience stores. Added space for actual cafes and restaurants could dramatically transform the character of that stretch.

Re-landscaping the Common and restoring the perimeter fence will do much to improve the aesthetics of the area as well.

One can only hope that something serious can be done about improving the Park Street and Boylston Street MBTA head houses soon too.

The sidewalk is too narrow on the Downtown Crossing side to allow any other retail or restaurant uses beyond what currently exists. Partially foot traffic is reduced on the business side due to the narrowness of many areas around Winter Street because of the head houses and frequency of panhandlers.

As far as the head houses, cleaning them up, fixing the smell, leaks, chunky paint, cheap doors, lack of decent lighting, and no really well structured bus area could improve the commuter experience dramatically. A semi-permanent newsstand similar to Harvard Square and upgraded food carts/trucks could be quite enjoyable as well. There's no reason for the entrance to a major transportation hub to be a filthy run down concrete swath of pigeon detritus.

Oh, ok. For some reason I was thinking you meant replacing them.

As you consider "what if?" options that relate to the sidewalks and retail storefront options on Tremont, bear in mind that retail is as low-key as it is because that's the way that ToC residents want it to be. Historically, the ToC condo association has kicked up a fuss about any potential usage in their building that they believe would create trash or noise or require off-hours deliveries, etc. This most definitely includes restaurants and any retail tenant that might have late hours. In fact, they've been pretty vocal about retail uses they don't like even a few blocks away. Historically, their priorities have been pretty much mirrored those of Charles River Park residents. (An additional problem with anti-urban bunker-towers-in-park of the '50s and '60s is that they were marketed to and appeal to residents with a fundamentally suburban mindset, and that mindset may ultimately be more street deadening than the architecture itself).

Has their headset changed? If not, you might be surprised to find that your good idea to expand the sidewalk and encourage more streetlife there, even if fully funded, will be greeted with a chorus of disapproval. If the interest of the building owner is purely economic, then there is often some effort to mitigate the Corbusierian sins of the architectural past: see, for example, incremental efforts of the Radisson hotel, a few blocks away, to try to wrestle with the facade of their concrete bunker so that they can actually monetize their streetfront. That hasn't been a priority for ToC, and that's a big reason why the limited hours hat shop and the shoe repair shop are there and the effort spent on spiffing up the storefronts has been minimal.

Back