Downtown skyline around 1980

^Around 1990. 125 High Street being built.

I'm just going to link to this. It was published in early 1987, so probably drawn in mid 1986. I recognized Boston as soon as I opened the book, before I ever saw the text on the page.

I'll be honest; a slightly later version of this skyline is what I remember from occasional trips down in my youth. So much so that, when I first came to this forum, I thought the abbreviation BBT meant, in reference (or comparison) to a lot of these early towers, Big Brown Turd.

is it just me or does anybody else get an unsettling feeling in their stomach when they see an iconic building like the Fed or the Hancock Tower in a state of being constructed? I can't really explain it because I love seeing pictures of big stuff that recently went up like MT.

Not going to lie, but the skyline back then was hideous.

Tragically hideous. Boston would have had a better skyline without one. Unfortunately those buildings are still most of the skyline.

is it just me or does anybody else get an unsettling feeling in their stomach when they see an iconic building like the Fed or the Hancock Tower in a state of being constructed? I can't really explain it because I love seeing pictures of big stuff that recently went up like MT.

Just you. Why would you get an unsettling feeling? I think it's really exciting seeing the greats under construction.

Tragically hideous. Boston would have had a better skyline without one. Unfortunately those buildings are still most of the skyline.

When one designs buildings like bellbottoms, they never go out of style.

No matter how much one carries their life's regrets around like a ball-and-chain.
eyetwitch1.gif

Boston had the misfortune of starting to build towers at the wrong time in history. Towers from the 60's-70's are, with few exceptions, shit.

Just you. Why would you get an unsettling feeling? I think it's really exciting seeing the greats under construction.

I'm not saying it isn't interesting to see, just unsettling. I think it's because those building are such landmarks and feel like they've always been there, long before I was born or aware. This differs from seeing something that I saw get built because I got to see the subtle progress. When you didn't see that process it's jarring to suddenly see a big building in a partial state - a reminder of how quick things change.

I had a similar feeling viewing pictures of Lower Manhattan after 9-11, though that might of been a bit different given the context in which those towers were destroyed.

Back