East Boston Infill and Small Developments

Read the comments in that Globe article. One commenter lamented the changes that are unraveling an Italian American neighborhood. East Boston has not been "Italian" for over 20 years. It is a mixture of Hispanics and millennials with the odd Italian hold out here and there.

East Boston has not been "Italian" for over 20 years. It is a mixture of Hispanics and millennials with the odd Italian hold out here and there.

Agreed. With that said, any newspaper's comment section isn't a reliable cultural barometer.

And for those of us who trace our family history back over a century, we don't self-identify as hold-outs. We just like living here...

Agreed. With that said, any newspaper's comment section isn't a reliable cultural barometer.

And for those of us who trace our family history back over a century, we don't self-identify as hold-outs. We just like living here...

By "holdout" I meant few and far between. Perhaps "remnant" would have been a better term.

I totally understand what you're getting at, Tom -- and I don't mean for this to turn into an argument over semantics.

Chris Rock once astutely observed that "a man is as faithful as his options." I'll ask you to extend that line of reasoning to matters of socioeconomics and ethnic communities. Italian, Irish, and Portuguese East Bostonians of my generation have had educational, travel, and employment opportunities that are synchronized with changes in broader American culture. As a result, I've never "dated the girl down the block." And the kids that I grew up with, many still in the neighborhood, have had similar experiences. This isn't cultural dilution -- it's evolution.

Neighborhoods like Jeffries Point and Eagle Hill have gone through accelerated demographic shifts, due in the larger part to the expansion at Logan (footprint and capacity) and other malignant land uses. The infusion of newcomers in those enclaves is transformative. These are new voices to demand better, from elected officials, state agencies, corporate land-owners, and developers looking for a fast buck.

A similar demographic shift is just beginning in Orient Heights. Some people of my dad's generation are selling out (at a tidy profit); the more thoughtful among them see these changes as a net loss for the sense of community. But trust me when I tell you, this isn't about ethnicity, but the texture and vibe of the community. It's about actively seeking to know your neighbors, and the feeling of connectedness and shared fortune.

My greatest concern is the condo-ization of two- and three-family homes, and the effect on the housing market. An investor can purchase a three-decker for $800K, put in $200K in improvements, and sell off each unit for $600K. That's an attractive margin, but it removes a key rung on the property ladder for first-time homebuyers (in East Boston, largely Latinos with young kids).

Last edited:
...anyone who's followed the sea-change in East Boston's political landscape over the last few years knows that old-line families, thirty-something newcomers, and the diverse community from Latin America have joined together on a spectrum of positive initiatives in East Boston.

Truth.

I was one of the short-timers (4 years before finally yielding to the burbs). But I was there long enough, and active enough when I was there, to recognize that this dynamic was real and was good news for everyone.

My greatest concern is the condo-ization of two- and three-family homes, and the effect on the housing market. And investor can purchase a three-decker for $800K, put in $200K in improvements, and sell off each unit for $600K. That's an attractive margin, but it removes a key rung on the property ladder for first-time homebuyers (in East Boston, largely Latinos with young kids).

I think this is an incredibly important phenomenon that we've discussed on several other threads on aB, but nonetheless still seems consistently missing from the broader dialog about how the Boston housing market works.

And the Blue Line is approaching capacity during rush hour.

I thought the Blue Line had excess capacity? That’s what’s been stated a number of times in the Amazon HQ thread. So which is it?

I thought the Blue Line had excess capacity? That’s what’s been stated a number of times in the Amazon HQ thread. So which is it?

The people stating that were not stating it based on facts. It is true per the numbers from the latest FMCB meeting that the Blue Line is near capacity between Maverick and State during the peaks. (I can also confirm this as a daily peak Blue Line commuter)

Developing a Capacity Target - Part 3

Office of Transportation Planning
December 4, 2017

https://d3044s2alrsxog.cloudfront.n...fmcb-ridership-goal-part3-capacity-target.pdf

Proposed Amazon HQ is in a direction/location where there is tons of capacity. Capacity constraints are going to downtown in the morning and back out in the evening.

Eastbound has tons of capacity in the morning rush hour and Westbound does have room for growth from Wonderland to the proposed Beachmont/Suffolk Downs location.

agtlofr.png

The people stating that were not stating it based on facts.

'Sup data,

I've been one of the megaphone yellers about blue line capacity at Suffolk Downs and Beachmont. dwash59's post alludes to why I've been championing those sites for capacity growth. Having lived near Maverick as you know, I too am well aware of how busy that station and State can get during peak rush hours in downtown-centric directions. The reverse commute capacity is demonstrably substantial, and indicative of the blue line's true potential for moving more people relative to other "T" lines.

Proposed Amazon HQ is in a direction/location where there is tons of capacity.

agtlofr.png

It is absurd to think that people who will live at the future housing at Suffolk Downs aren't going to commute downtown at the peak.

To clarify: I absolutely do NOT believe we should be limiting housing or development in East Boston because of BL peak issues - those are things that should be solved with transit improvements.

Last edited:
What would it take to increase BL capacity? Is it just a matter of running more trains, or are there other limiting factors?

Limiting housing at Suffolk Downs (or really, anywhere along the BL) because of this seems incredibly short sighted to me... Of all the hundreds of reasons we don't have enough housing in this metro, an increasingly crowded Blue Line seems like one of the least significant and most fixable.

To clarify: I absolutely do NOT believe we should be limiting housing or development in East Boston because of BL peak issues - those are things that should be solved with transit improvements.

And I absolutely agree.

The challenge is that the expectation of transit improvements (Blue Line, Silver Line, MBTA Buses, enhanced intermodal synergies) is unrealistic during this economic/construction cycle. Amazon or not, I'd love to see the entire Suffolk Downs property put to its best and highest use. And the same for developable parcels large and small across East Boston. But increasing density without increasing capacity (in all services, not just public transportation) is foolishness of the highest order. And it isn't enough that elected officials and policy-makers understand this...

Also, that's a cool leftover cobblestone/streetcar track thing they've got going on there. Hope it survives the construction!

Absolutely! It's a piece of nearly-forgotten history, when the old Narrow Gauge ran parallel to the Bennington Street steetcar line. I'm told that this spur ran right onto the Suffolk Downs property and looped near the main entrance. When my old man was a kid, he and a buddy would sell ice cream to the punters hoping for a quick score at the track.

The brick part seems like it could be pretty nice, but whatever that paneling is, the corrugated stuff...nah.

Back