East Boston Infill and Small Developments

Buyer beware! That wood is going to look like trash if it is not regularly stained (meaning every other year).

that looks like sometin here in Park City....

indeed: CWF-UV over that lovely stain and you're home.

btw we're dying up here. it's 87F (hottest day of the year). heard it's 107 or something down in Salt Lake.

ok, in the shade maybe that's not too bad, but the sun is death.

Maybe head up to the headwaters of the Provo top of the Wasatch and jump in the 45F water.

pics or it never.... ok, OT in about 30, 40 min. :)

I respectfully need to disagree with you.

Walsh is the first Mayor of Boston in 50+ years to update the City's Master Plan. That is the 472-page, long-term, expansive, inclusive steak, my friend. Anything commissioned or done for the neighborhood exclusively are accouterments.

It's a misguided statement to say Walsh has done nothing during his first term to reinvigorate master planning for the East Boston neighborhood--he has. And frankly, his responsibility is to the entire city; your qualms with an 18-year-old neighborhood plan would be better aimed at your City Councilor(s).

As a planner, please trust me when I tell you that Imagine Boston 2030 is on track to produce real results in the coming years... for East Boston and the entire City of Boston.
Is there a codified document that I could read and share with others? Does it include overlays showing revisions to zoning, plans for public schools and other vital city services?

I'm not being a smart-ass here. There are people in my circle a lot more connected to things than I am who'd very much like to put their eyes on this improved neighborhood plan.

I agree. East Boston is thankfully "under new management." Our last crop of elected officials were little more than pawns in the hands of Massport and Menino. Speaking only for myself, they go unmissed.

Fair enough. I think it equally fair to say the the results you speak of are cause for concern in some parts of the city, in particular in matters of social, economic, and environmental justice. A lot Boston 2030 reads like a brochure to attract people to Boston (as investors and as residents); this isn't a bad thing, but as a taxpayer, I expect on the ground engagement from the BPDA at the neighborhood level. They visited our community meeting in April and I requested a more regularly scheduled visibility in East Boston.

How timely: Councilors Edwards, Wu to Hold East Boston Master Plan Hearing on Monday July 16

^^Unless I need to attend a meeting for work Monday evening, I plan to attend the East Boston Master Plan Hearing as well.

Drinks & Discussion with Arch Bostonians after?

Planning is all well and good. Even if it is codified as zoning, which isn't happening for recent plans in JP and South Boston, the ZBA is granting the vast majority of variances so planning and zoning in Boston are just not that meaningful.

(I've heard the number 85% approval for variances in Boston but don't have a source. If anyone does I'd be interested to see it. The Boston ZBA takes an incredibly loose view of the requirements for a variance, which are actually pretty strict in the state code. I think they are really falling back on "substantial hardship" in the financial area).

Planning is all well and good. Even if it is codified as zoning, which isn't happening for recent plans in JP and South Boston, the ZBA is granting the vast majority of variances so planning and zoning in Boston are just not that meaningful.

Thank you for your pithy and truthful summary of the issues at hand.

I've heard the number 85% approval for variances in Boston but don't have a source. If anyone does I'd be interested to see it.

I don't keep a tracking spreadsheet for stuff like this, but in my narrow experience in Orient Heights, 85% sounds about right. The guy who wants to build a roof deck or add a dormer to an owner-occupied property gets a shoe in the stones; but a well-connected developer with the right legal representation gets approval for 14 units and parking where a single family once stood...

The Boston ZBA takes an incredibly loose view of the requirements for a variance...

Approval rates at the ZBA aside, also consider the percentage of proposals that need to have ZBA approval to proceed. Again, taking my narrow view, the overwhelming (i.e. ~75%) of proposals in my neighborhood require the blessing of the ZBA.

Pro tip: If your city's zoning requires that 75% of proposals to go through a ZBA process, your city's zoning is obsolete.

The BRA/BPDA's lack of engagement at the neighborhood level (across the entire City) during the Menino Era suggests that the obsolescence was by design, and represented a "profit center" for elected officials and their vassals, with a spectrum of back-room dealing and chicanery.

I appreciate Lydia's efforts to inclusively begin a long-overdue conversation. But the conversation needs to lead to broadly updated regulations -- anything less is unacceptable.

Though I can't say that I'd have a problem with a building of this height in Maverick Square, I have it through the attorney of the developer that this will be re-presented at 6 stories.

^^Unless I need to attend a meeting for work Monday evening, I plan to attend the East Boston Master Plan Hearing as well.

Drinks & Discussion with Arch Bostonians after?

^^ I'd totally be up for that!

Update: I do have to work late this evening and won't be able to attend. :(
Please take notes and share with us! And if there's any comments/sentiment you or others could raise on my behalf, I hope these items come up:
- Scrap parking minimum requirements for new developments within 2,000 feet of blue line stations.
- Explore redesigning intersection of Chelsea, Maverick, and Meridian Streets into a shared space.
- Implement an aggressive timeline for planting street trees. Right now I believe it's by request only, and there's a 1+ year backlog.
- Either identify more sites in East Boston for MBTA ferry service, or more cohesively label water taxi pick-up/drop-off zones, including Stop number, cost(s), hours available, and contact info.

^ Excellent ideas, all. I'll pass these along to a couple of key people (who you may already know) who make issues of this nature their focus.

Approval rates at the ZBA aside, also consider the percentage of proposals that need to have ZBA approval to proceed. Again, taking my narrow view, the overwhelming (i.e. ~75%) of proposals in my neighborhood require the blessing of the ZBA.

Pro tip: If your city's zoning requires that 75% of proposals to go through a ZBA process, your city's zoning is obsolete.

The BRA/BPDA's lack of engagement at the neighborhood level (across the entire City) during the Menino Era suggests that the obsolescence was by design, and represented a "profit center" for elected officials and their vassals, with a spectrum of back-room dealing and chicanery.

Yes, ten minutes at one of these special permit/variance/liquor license hearings in any city or town that has a lot of development and I think you will get a distinct impression that the state/municipal planning system is all about greasing the wheels of a political/professional favor machine. No regard to the rule of law except in procedure and appearances. Every rule has a discretionary clause that basically says whatever the board, committee, commission or even individual regulator decides is law. Legalized corruption.

As-in no regard for actually making laws that people can just go ahead and follow, but in making laws to get people a piece of the pie by unnecessarily injecting multiple consultants, lawyers, judges, committees and decision makers into the every decision with understood "favor" at every level.

We aren't talking about paper bags full of money corruption (in most cases) we are talking about systemic whole hog laws and regulations created to give cover for political favor and bribe laundering under the cynical semblance of the rule of law with the sole purpose of making some people wealthier at the expense of the public trust, the public purse, at the expense of free markets and at the expense of a resilient adaptable economy.

Thank you for your pithy and truthful summary of the issues at hand.

I don't keep a tracking spreadsheet for stuff like this, but in my narrow experience in Orient Heights, 85% sounds about right. The guy who wants to build a roof deck or add a dormer to an owner-occupied property gets a shoe in the stones; but a well-connected developer with the right legal representation gets approval for 14 units and parking where a single family once stood...

I appreciate Lydia's efforts to inclusively begin a long-overdue conversation. But the conversation needs to lead to broadly updated regulations -- anything less is unacceptable.

This should be printed in the editorial section of the globe. The situation is just utterly ridiculous, and has been for such a long time… The cronyism is sickening, and the most despicable aspect of the whole situation is that the pols unctuously tell us how all these rules are meant to protect the common man... when in reality, as you say, they screw every individual, but allow rich corporatists to do whatever they want ( or, perhaps the most sickening aspect of it all are all the bright eyed fools - including most of the well-intentioned but totally blind wealthy classes - who eat up the pandering bs the system feeds them and pat themselves on the back for supporting such a wonderful and pious system that PRESERVES! and LISTENS! to the people!!)

While the pundits point to the Midwest, one need look no further than the limits of our liberal city to see the same problems and frustrations plaguing the entire country today (albeit, here, directed differently... and so they successfully manage, as always, to keep the people split along fissures).

Pardon my tardy response...Busy morning.

I attended and offered testimony at yesterday evening's East Boston Master Plan Hearing. About 200 folks turned out, even though it conflicted with a **contentious Orient Heights Neighborhood Council meeting (where six development projects of various scales were reviewed and voted upon).

I was initially disappointed that there was no published agenda for the meeting, but it turned out to be a pretty orderly (if predictable) affair. Michele Wu chaired, Lydia Edwards and a couple of other Councilors were in attendance, along with East Boston's delegation to Beacon Hill, and members of the Walsh Administration, representing Planning & Zoning, Housing, Parks & Climate Resilience, and Traffic & Parking.

After the typical opening statements by elected officials and "we're here to listen" from the folks on Walsh's staff, local organizers representing non-profits and advocacy groups spoke on the four subject areas (Planning & Zoning, Housing, Parks & Climate Resilience, and Traffic & Parking).

Eventually, the audience was invited to speak in groups of five, sticking to one of the subject areas. Recognizing that it's a tall order to speak on one issue without touching on at least two of the others, I used my 90 seconds to speak about the need for broadly revised zoning and the inherent problems that have persisted because nearly everything is rubber-stamped by the ZBA. I actually took the time to write something (much of it culled from my posts here), but time constraints bumped me off script. Plenty of other folks had intelligent things to say.

This was an important first step, and as such, I'm satisfied with last night's event. But the ideas, sentiments, and desires expressed need to go somewhere, to community-defined principals, a refined process with clear guidelines, expectations for improved outcomes, and methods to hold property owners, developers, and the City to account.

**My old man attended this meeting and said it was a clusterfuck.

From Michelle Wu's Office:

East Boston Master Plan Community Survey

This survey closes on July 31st.

English: https://goo.gl/forms/Wd0O3wmISLEXCm7M2
Español: https://goo.gl/forms/vWysf4gDSaMms2xn1

The Boston Planning and Development Agency (BPDA) has recently announced a master planning process for East Boston. As a policy fellow working in Boston City Councilor Michelle Wu’s office, I am looking to gather feedback from the community on what the most important issues to address in East Boston are right now.

The objective of this survey is to garner a sense of what you envision the community to be in the future and what are areas that could be improved. The findings of all community meetings will be summarized in a report by the end of August 2018.

If you would like an update on the report when it is complete, please let us know your email.

I’m not a preservationist but wow those should have been saved...tear down the crooked vinyl sided shanties covered in satellite dishes instead.

Back