East Boston Infill and Small Developments

It still astounds me that we have not found a way for the City of Boston to take some of the tax $$$ from East Boston's renaissance and stump it up for Red-Blue connector, similar to Cambridge & Somerville did for the GLX.
The City is currently more set on addressing the crumbling infrastructure and lack of bike infrastructure in EB itself if you look at the PLAN:EB efforts.

Relevant, the existing conditions report of PLAN:EB was published last week. The transportation section starts on Page 88, the focus is definitely on bus, bike and walking improvements. The whole thing is a good read if you have the time. https://bpda.app.box.com/s/hgmqupurzxgjnuokzilvs7kk1894hwe1

Also so it doesn't get lost in the page-break Beeline just posted:
IMG_2793 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_2795 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_2799 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_2792 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_2798 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_2803 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_2804 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_2807 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_2808 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_2813 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_2814 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_2815 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_2816 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

The streets with underground wires look infinitely better...wish they were all like that.
Reminds me of something I heard from an engineer at the Public Works department in Boston. Massport funded a project to bury the wires and put in decorative street lamps on Bayswater St in East Boston, one property owner apparently was afraid of the government and refused to let any contractors on their property and to this day there is still one pole on Bayswater St for that one house... https://maps.app.goo.gl/vnrrHUySoZsci8NZ7

Reminds me of something I heard from an engineer at the Public Works department in Boston. Massport funded a project to bury the wires and put in decorative street lamps on Bayswater St in East Boston, one property owner apparently was afraid of the government and refused to let any contractors on their property and to this day there is still one pole on Bayswater St for that one house... https://maps.app.goo.gl/vnrrHUySoZsci8NZ7

pretty street...I wonder if the home changed hands if the offer still stands lol. Must be very loud over there.

Seems like the trend in East Boston is to have cartoonishly large address numbers.

Seems like the trend in East Boston is to have cartoonishly large address numbers.
Never live out west then... 4, 5 or even 6 digit house numbers are downright common; blame block numbering.

IMG_20200926_082034.jpg

Sincere question: are these "Luxury Townhomes" being marketed to seniors or vision-impaired residents? Because that is the only justification I can imagine for the Size 1024 address numbering at each entrance.
I'll guess. Recessed entrances, confusing layout. Oversized signage is for fire department / EMS. The fire department particularly likes to position first-arriving apparatus so that ladders can be raised immediately.

Kudo's to both these developments for their creative public spaces, including expanding the Harbor Walk. Both these developments are winners for the neighborhood, as well as the city.

Back