East Boston Infill and Small Developments

@chrisbrat -- I'm looking at the 2020 census GIS mapping. East Boston as a whole, shows a lower density profile, but we have to keep in mind that the airport and associated transportation infrastructure (tank farms, etc.) probably account for about half of the total land mass. So you can essentially double the total density figures. Somerville is much more uniformly built out at a high density level, so the actual in any given location pretty closely matches the average (~23K/sqm). Not so for East Boston, where it can vary from 0 to 55K. Anyway, I'm always fascinated by this kind of stuff, particularly in how method for measurement can often influence resulting numbers. Both neighborhoods, along with much of the rest of Boston and inner suburbs demonstrate a type of high density housing that doesn't fit the stereotypes of either large apartment blocks or towers.

That reminds me of how density maps of los angeles are skewed low because all the mountains around that have no housing whatsoever bring the overall density down of LA county making it seem less dense than it reallly is. I can imagine the airport has a huge effect on east boston.

That reminds me of how density maps of los angeles are skewed low because all the mountains around that have no housing whatsoever bring the overall density down of LA county making it seem less dense than it reallly is. I can imagine the airport has a huge effect on east boston.
The airport impacting the numbers makes a lot of sense. Prior to moving to East Boston, we lived in Somerville for 4 years. It’s really hard to imagine Somerville being denser than Eastie. Both are certainly dense, but Eastie feels a good deal more tightly packed to me. Particularly Eagle Hill and much of Jeffries Point. After a little digging, it does looks like the densest parts of Eastie are more dense than anything in Somerville. That reflects how I experience both places.

279 maverick st approved
17c99a44-f40f-499b-9764-b43eac0d6da4

https://bostonagentmagazine.com/202...tial-units-coming-to-roxbury-and-east-boston/

Thanks. It's been there forever. Now I remember! That spot used to be a parking lot for taxis!! :)

Looks like this project has come to life again. As you can see we have some new windows. Anyone know is this is still planed to be a Loftel Hotel? I'm surprised they haven't converted it lab/life science.
IMG_7662 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7663 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7665 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_7536 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7561 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7563 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7564 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7565 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7582 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7583 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7586 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7587 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7591 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7593 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7596 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7595 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7598 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7599 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7601 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7602 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7606 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_7611 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7603 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7610 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7605 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7614 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7616 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7617 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7620 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7623 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7625 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7629 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7628 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7648 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7650 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7651 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7652 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7656 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7657 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7659 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_7660 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7661 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7669 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7667 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7668 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7671 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7673 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7674 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7684 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7685 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7683 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7687 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7690 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7692 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7694 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7697 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7700 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7704 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7701 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7702 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_9825 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9826 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9835 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9837 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9840 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9844 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9846 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9849 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9851 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9848 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9857 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9860 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9861 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9853 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9863 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9859 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9870 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9873 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9876 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_9879 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9882 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9884 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9892 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9890 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9911 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9914 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9920 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9959 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9912 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9922 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9939 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9940 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9942 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9943 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9944 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9945 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_9950 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

Great infill. In my opinion, both East Boston and South Boston should have a coordinated plan to eliminate ALL overhead wiring! The telephone and utility poles in some of these photos are just maddening to see in such a dense urban environment.

Great infill. In my opinion, both East Boston and South Boston should have a coordinated plan to eliminate ALL overhead wiring! The telephone and utility poles in some of these photos are just maddening to see in such a dense urban environment.

I bet as soon as a fire dept ladder truck hits one of those lines during a fire emergency, every politician will come out of the wood work saying to Eversource - "do the right thing, bury those lines to save lives". But then Eversource will say "we would love to save lives but we will need to raise the price of electricity". Then the politicians will say to the developers "you make a lot of money building in Boston, you should shoulder the cost to bury the lines. And then...... the story goes on.

I bet as soon as a fire dept ladder truck hits one of those lines during a fire emergency, every politician will come out of the wood work saying to Eversource - "do the right thing, bury those lines to save lives". But then Eversource will say "we would love to save lives but we will need to raise the price of electricity". Then the politicians will say to the developers "you make a lot of money building in Boston, you should shoulder the cost to bury the lines. And then...... the story goes on.

In Scituate, we require ANY new development to bury the utility lines, but that doesn't cover existing infrastructure. It only covers the connection to the overhead power or utility source. We tried to get National Grid to bury some "scenic roadways." but they always say it's too expensive. Ironically, National Grid has to come before the Scituate Planning Board to review any tree trimming on a designated scenic roadway. They spend SO MUCH on tree trimming that it seems, in my opinion, the money could be better spent to bury utility lines.

On the planning board, we discussed a downtown BID (Business Improvement District) for Scituate Harbor District that would charge businesses an extra fee, and one of the uses of that fee could be burying the utility lines..............but that extra fee didn't set too well with the local business community. Only a handful of smaller towns besides Boston has been able to create a BID.

Back