Emmanuel College Developments | LMA | Fenway

kz1000ps

Reaction score
Emmanuel is demolishing a 1950s-vintage classroom structure to make way for a new, 46,600-square-foot science building that received BRA approval on 7/19/07.

PDF going over the project and the campus' recent history: www.mass.gov/envir/mepa/pdffiles/certificates/062207/11881npc.pdf

Progress as of 7/21:

img7894iz3.jpg

img7900hd0.jpg

img7903us2.jpg

Some general shots from around campus. The copper-paneled portions were added on last year

img7907lp0.jpg

..and the Jean Yawkey Student Center, completed 2004 (next two photos)

img7905ig2.jpg

img7891xl7.jpg

img7901qa9.jpg

img7895ij2.jpg

It would be nice if this new addition were separated from the the original building and connected by a breeze way. The contrast is nice, but it would be nice if there were some separation between the two. I don't know if that's even possible because i'm not familiar with the site, but i think it would look better. Sure beats the old addition though... that was pathetic.

In another 40 years (or much less) this new addition will also be demolished, but the old stuff will still be standing.

The Taft School in CT made a stunning Tudor addition recently (I think it was a Stern project); too bad for Emmanuel. It would be nice for at least one school in Boston to preserve (and expand) its traditional collegiate style.

Wow that's fugly. Thanks for getting back to these KZ, although now I am nostalgic for biking along the Fenway in the Fall.

The south facade has turned out quite well, IMO:

img7139es3.jpg

img7140ft4.jpg

img7149bm6.jpg

This is really interesting. Neo-Tudor deconstructionism?

Way to go Emmanuel -- easily the best campus addition in recent memory.

HVAC = Strobic fans. They are necessary for high velocity exhaust. What does that mean. There is some nasty stuff getting shot into the atmosphere.

Back