Emmanuel College Developments | LMA | Fenway

That is a great addition! It looks nice without trying to do too much. Great job.

Emmanuel to add dorm, enlarge library

June 29, 2011

Emmanuel College has unveiled plans to expand its campus, including construction of a new dormitory and a library addition. To help pay for the projects, the Fenway college would lease a parcel for development. Emmanuel officials outlined the proposal at a Longwood Medical Area forum Monday night. College officials said they do not yet have cost estimates. Sarah Welsh, Emmanuel’s vice president for government and community relations, said the dorm would be called Julie Hall North, a new 183,000-square-foot residence hall with 425 to 475 beds and a 300-to-400-seat dining hall. The college also plans to renovate the Cardinal Cushing Library, adding about 58,000 square feet. The Boston Redevelopment Authority is accepting public comments on the project through July 25.

Link

Emmanuel College announces plans to add dorm, expand library

June 28, 2011
By Sara Brown, Town Correspondent, Globe Staff

Emmanuel College has unveiled plans to expand its campus that include a new dormitory and a larger library. To pay for the two projects, the Fenway college would lease a parcel for development.

Emmanuel officials outlined the proposal, which is part of the college's institutional 10-year plan, at a Longwood Medical Area forum Monday evening. College officials said they do not yet have cost estimates for the projects, focusing first on getting permits.

Sarah Welsh, Emmanuel’s vice president for government and community relations, said at meeting that the college hopes to build Julie Hall North, a new 183,000-square-foot residence hall with between 425 and 475 beds and a 300- to 400-seat dining hall.

The building would be adjacent to an existing dormitory, Julie Hall, though "splashier," Welsh said, potentially with amenities like suites, apartments, and kitchens.

"Students have pretty high standards of where they want to live and how they want to live," Welsh said in an interview.

The preliminary plans for the dorm call for it to be between 75 feet and 150 feet tall, with no additional parking added. Welsh told the audience that students are not allowed to bring cars on campus.

The college also plans to expand and renovate the Cardinal Cushing Library, adding about 58,000 square feet. The design work remains to be done on this project, Welsh added.

To fund these projects, Welsh said, Emmanuel will seek to lease for development a parcel of land it owns on Avenue Louis Pasteur, which will hold a 360,000-square-foot research building. About 355 parking spaces would be moved below-ground, she said.

The project would have to "fit with our mission" Welsh said in an interview, recalling another successful joint venture: in 2000, Emmanuel leased one acre to the pharmaceutical giant Merck Co. for $50 million.

The company built a 12-story science building where students work and do internships and professors bring classes. The Merck relationship "is so much more than just a ground lease," Welsh said.

After finding someone to lease the space, Welsh said, the next project would likely be the residence hall. While the timeline is tentative, she said, "it would be really challenging to have two big construction projects going on at the same time."

The expansion would accommodate the college’s growing student body, which is expected to expand from 1,750 to 2,200 undergraduates over the next 10 years, Welsh said, while continuing to house 75 percent of the student body on campus.

Emmanuel is a private, co-educational Catholic liberal arts and sciences college that was founded in 1919 by the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur. The school originally educated girls only, and the school said enrollment increased from about 500 students to more than 1,700 since the school went co-ed in 2000.

In 2000, the school issued the first 10-year institutional master plan, Welsh said, which worked well. "We are going to hopefully build upon that success for the next 10 years."

The Boston Redevelopment Authority is accepting public comments on the project through July 25.

Link

Damn, the CoF is bursting with projects!

MassArt - dorm tower
Wentworth - Beatty additions/renovations, Ira Allen addition/renovation
Emmanuel - Dorm/library expansion

This sounds great.

6421384719_6cdcdd7740_b.jpg

6421386385_91eb70a9b5_b.jpg

6421390265_afaf12d188_b.jpg

6421392337_470769bba7_b.jpg

Looks good, but the expansion joints in the brickwork look awful.

With the building up of all the buildings on boylston and these new buildings, fenway is going to have a nice top line leading into a high spine. I look forward to seeing many of the parking lots and 1 story buildings make way for cranes and steel over the next couple year. I bet Fenway May 2014 will be pretty much a giant construction zone.

(aside: I walked through downtown for the first time in a few weeks today. The weather and all the construction going on, the place was bustling then over to my job in kendall. And not to get political, but don't tell anyone making that walk that there is (was) a recession). Very encouraging to see.

With the building up of all the buildings on boylston and these new buildings, fenway is going to have a nice top line leading into a high spine. I look forward to seeing many of the parking lots and 1 story buildings make way for cranes and steel over the next couple year. I bet Fenway May 2014 will be pretty much a giant construction zone.

(aside: I walked through downtown for the first time in a few weeks today. The weather and all the construction going on, the place was bustling then over to my job in kendall. And not to get political, but don't tell anyone making that walk that there is (was) a recession). Very encouraging to see.

Choo -- around here there is no recession -- just quite reasonable economic activity - not a boom as there is still a lot of For Lease signs around -- but certainly better than all but a handful of states. Note that even in Massachusetts there are some places where the recession is still just beginning to end with double the state-wide unemployment.

You have to go to North Dakota to find a real boom -- they will take any able bodied person who wants work -- almost no questions asked -- I think they have an unofficial unemployment rate of 3%

May 16th, 2012
Coincidence? North Dakota with Nation's Lowest Unemployment Rate Ranks 2nd in Oil Production

BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) — North Dakota has passed Alaska to become the second-leading oil-producing state in the nation, trailing only Texas, state officials said Tuesday.

North Dakota oil drillers pumped 17.8 million barrels in March, with a daily average of 575,490 barrels, Assistant State Mineral Resources Director Bruce Hicks said. That compares with 17.5 million barrels in Alaska, though still far behind Texas.

The state's oil patch is drilling at record levels and shows little sign of slowing down. The 152.9 million barrels of crude oil produced in 2011 set a record, surpassing the previous year's mark by nearly 40 million barrels, according to the state Industrial Commission. The number of wells in the state jumped from 6,726 in February to a record 6,921 in March, Hicks said.

Coincidence? North Dakota with Nation's Lowest Unemployment Rate Ranks 2nd in Oil Production

Oh, for the love of Peter, Paul, and Mary...

Is every thread going to turn into oil discussion now?

No, but they will all turn into inane Wikipedia talk pages, complete with assertions of I-took-a-college-course-in-this-once-and-know-all-about it.

No, but they will all turn into inane Wikipedia talk pages, complete with assertions of I-took-a-college-course-in-this-once-and-know-all-about it.

That pretty much nailed it.

I can't say the residential tower as depicted in the master plan rocks my world. The COF campuses are pretty classy and the New Julie Hall (while better than the Old Julie Hall) seems a bit value-designed for the neighborhood.

Back