Everett Waterfront Redevelopment | 52 Beacham Street | Everett

The article does include housing as part of the proposed mix, although it's all very preliminary at this point.

I feel like housing a stretch given the likely pollution. Wouldn't be a bad spot for Revs Stadium, maybe add in some retail/bars.

I feel like housing a stretch given the likely pollution. Wouldn't be a bad spot for Revs Stadium, maybe add in some retail/bars.

An urban development of this size can’t be successful if it doesn’t include housing. It can’t even really be called urban development. What’s this supposed to be, Universal City Walk or something?

I thought MassPort or laws required that the harbor front portions along here (on the tidal side) remained for port uses?

This is a small portion of the total parcel but may require it to be considered separately and may be beyond Everett’s control for changing land-use

This really could be a great location for a revs stadium. It's close to the city. It would have connections to large pockets of soccer fans on the Silver line in Chelsea and Eastie and potential for a great march to the match across a new pedestrian bridge from Assembly or down Alford/Broadway from Sullivan Square. It is also equidistant from 93 and 1 and right off 16. Maybe one of the last spots big enough to fit it it and it would definitely fit the entertainment center concept Everett seems to be going for there.

This is too big of a lot too close to downtown to not include housing. Housing in the current land arrangement though, with some of the tanks remaining, would seem best on the Northern edge of the block, near the existing housing stock. An added pedestrian connection across the tracks/16 would help stitch the community together and improve access to the expanded Silverline.

The key here is the contamination. We know it's there, just depends on the level of cleanup. Lot easier to put a cap with open air than residential permits, and we know that Everett is seeking a stronger downtown commercial district. This process may be similar to the Huntington beach tank farm that's been in limbo for years. https://www.latimes.com/socal/daily...o-tackle-divisive-magnolia-tank-farm-project/
Yes, and this emphasizes why we need to be actually phase out fossil fuel infrastructure in an accelerating fashion.

Wonderfully this project is right along the route of a planned expansion of the trail network around the mystic, I hope the city plans to maximize that. A Bluebikes station or two on the site would be good too.

I agree with this here:
Why isn't Exxon Mobile responsible for cleaning up the mess they made?
They should be on the hook for it. I hope that popular sentiment and the state can make them be here.

Guessing they wouldn't sell the land if they were going to be held responsible for cleaning it up. The website explicitly says they are selling the land as is, so presumably whoever buys it will have to remediate themselves. Buyer probably gets some tax breaks.

Housing. We need housing. We do not need hotels, restaurants, or venues.
Ah, but housing for normal folk doesn't offer anywhere near the graft opportunities for deals on construction and permitting, nor ongoing backroom dealing with same, nor such juicy hospitality and entertainment taxes, fees etc...

This is exactly what Encore was planning for. Hopefully we can get a Revs stadium with a Patriots place like area around it, but more tailored for the city than the suburbs in Foxboro. Itll be nice if they turn this area into an entertainment district to go along with the many apartments also going up in the area.

“A spokesman for The Kraft Group declined to comment about any potential interest in Everett.”
-At least the site is on their radar, hopefully something is being worked out behind the scenes.

On top of that it would be amazing if they could develop a DC style wharf district along the waterfront with restaurants, a riverwalk, and boat docks. They could essentislly do an assembly row style development but right up against the water to take advantage of the riverfront access.

Last edited:
Given how things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being Lab Space.

Found the council meeting where the Davis Company presented the very early plans to the City!

I believe it begins at 1 hour, 11 minutes into the video - haven't watched it yet!

1660660013462.png
1660660067255.png
1660660139336.png

1660660157846.png

Hmm looks good but not much residential. The metro area is doing extremely well as far as office/lab space, it was actually #1 in the country for new lab space, but the housing situation is in crisis mode. I definitely think this is too big of an opportunity to screw up.

We literally just built 2 brand new districts in the seaport and northpoint. On top of that we have suffolk downs, bayside, dot ave southie, allston yards…etc all coming in the future. Theres pleeeenty of room for more labs, but if we dont get a handle on the housing situation were not going to have young ppl just getting out of college here sticking around and filling them.

Hmm looks good but not much residential. The metro area is doing extremely well as far as office/lab space, it was actually #1 in the country for new lab space, but the housing situation is in crisis mode. I definitely think this is too big of an opportunity to screw up.

We literally just built 2 brand new districts in the seaport and northpoint. On top of that we have suffolk downs, bayside, dot ave southie, allston yards…etc all coming in the future. Theres pleeeenty of room for more labs, but if we dont get a handle on the housing situation were not going to have young ppl just getting out of college here sticking around and filling them.
Has anyone tried to stick a housing tower on top of a lab yet? This could be difficult with the mechanicals on the roof, but as long as they have separate entrances I don’t see why you can‘t put 20 floors of housing on top of a 4 floor lab.

They are, but in practice that likely means some X amount of the money from the sale of the land will go to an escrow account to where the money is set to clean up the land.

If Exxon Mobile don't sell the land, they are still responsible for cleaning it, but then they can just sit there with the tanks and keep the status quo.

Exxon Mobile sounds like a Cell Phone network.

Has anyone tried to stick a housing tower on top of a lab yet? This could be difficult with the mechanicals on the roof, but as long as they have separate entrances I don’t see why you can‘t put 20 floors of housing on top of a 4 floor lab.

Might make the housing a tougher sell because of people afraid of bio leaks, etc.

Might make the housing a tougher sell because of people afraid of bio leaks, etc.

Which isn’t super unreasonable. They can work with pretty hazardous stuff at chem/bio labs.

INC3OZ5QHRB4DIXAFZWLUDFCBU.jpg

^^^ Soccer!!!!!

Davis essentially is approaching the project as two distinct sections: a residential area, at the northern corner near Sweetser Circle, where apartments and ground-floor retail would be built, and an industrial area through the center of the property around Beacham Street, to feature warehouses as well as high-tech and life sciences manufacturing. The company envisions up to 2.4 million square feet that could be built relatively quickly under existing zoning, and another 2 million square feet or more that would evolve over time with the right market conditions and zoning changes. Davis has not yet disclosed plans for the property’s waterfront area.

Everett Mayor Carlo DeMaria is among those who hope the Davis redevelopment can be the impetus to finally extend the Silver Line rapid bus service into Everett and maybe even prompt a train station to be built there. Tracks for the MBTA’s Newburyport/Rockport line traverse Everett near the ExxonMobil property, but there are no stops in the city.

“The first and foremost issue on the site is to clean it up, and it comes at a tremendous cost,” Cantalupa said. “We like to think we bring creative solutions to complex problems. ... We can’t be the sole provider but we need to solve them cooperatively and with the city’s input.”

Davis officials want to start with a 1 million-square-foot first phase with three buildings — 300 to 350 apartments in one, warehouse storage in a second, and advanced manufacturing in the third. (Davis is currently developing a warehouse next door, rumored to be for Amazon.)

AYCBLC47AZHUTGI7OB4ZAIKP24.png

Images courtesy of the Globe

Back