Fan Pier Developments | Seaport

It's really only one person...but I won't say who.

I should drop it. The time for the stadium is over anyway. It just would have been the most logical place for it. I would talk about other developments if anything was actually being developed.

Annex Chelsea and Everett and build it in the general location of where the FBI is going. Put it somewhere near the Newbury/Rockport Line for when the Urban Ring runs along it.

TheRifleman said:
This would have gave Boston so much more character. This is vision.

Actually ripping down Fenway would be a blessing. Going to the games is not even comfortable. The stadium is completely outdated.

I'm not sure you understand what people mean when they use the word "character." Baseball, as a game, is largely about history. Having the oldest park in the nation is something for a baseball fan to be proud of. Some may complain about the seats, but I will simply note that there have been about 650 consecutive sellouts, so clearly that isn't affecting attendance.

There is a special feeling walking into that park that isn't present anywhere else in this country. That's a personal opinion, sure, but it's one that a great deal of people share.

I'm not sure you understand what people mean when they use the word "character." Baseball, as a game, is largely about history. Having the oldest park in the nation is something for a baseball fan to be proud of. Some may complain about the seats, but I will simply note that there have been about 650 consecutive sellouts, so clearly that isn't affecting attendance.

There is a special feeling walking into that park that isn't present anywhere else in this country. That's a personal opinion, sure, but it's one that a great deal of people share.

I agree^^^ Fenway is a special place. And a TON of character, But in my personal opinion it's time to rip down the old stadium, I would keep the park for the public to use. Fenway area is just too small for the amount of traffic that goes to the game these days.
It's time to move on. The entire area has changed and I'm not that crazy what has been developed in that area. The hotel is completely out of place for Kenmore Square.

In my opinion I miss the Old Garden,and Fenway Park, but what made those areas even priceless with character was the small time vendors. That is my complaint. I think the city could have struck a deal with Kraft and the Sox Owners by relocating the parks and keeping the small time business's in charge of the games instead of letting in the corporations like Walgreens, CVS, on every other block especially if they rebuilt for a neighborhood feel like wrigley field down in the Seaport.

They could have rebuilt a similar Fenway with a more comfortable seating arrangement with the neighborhood feel and more T accessability.

Kenmore Square Sucks these days.

I have a perfect example........Harvard Squares has become too corporate losing alot of character these days. Davis Square is actually more desirable to hang out at than Harvard.

Last edited:
^ these are all arguments that have been discussed ad nausium on this board. I'll just have to stop reading this thread as well if it devolves into this same old shit.

Incivek was just approved by the FDA! Vertex is officially coming to Fan Pier/SBW!

Construction beginning in the coming days??? Does that suggest the rendering below is accurate? Seaport 2k11= Kendall Square c.1980....

539w.jpg

Biotech?s big success boosts Boston?s Fan Pier project, too

Yesterday?s approval of Vertex?s Pharmaceutical Inc.?s hepatitis C treatment triggers one the biggest real estate deals in Boston?s history and is expected to spur the economic turnaround of the waterfront?s industrial area.

Construction of two buildings totaling more than a million square feet and costing about $800 million is scheduled to begin on Fan Pier as soon as this week and be completed in 2013 or 2014.

City and business leaders say the arrival of the biotechnology company, which plans to move its headquarters and about 1,500 employees from Cambridge, will attract similar businesses to the area.

?This will open a whole new pathway for the city?s growth,?? said Bill Motely, a managing director for the commercial real estate firm Jones Lang LaSalle. ?Pharmaceutical companies like to be located near each other, so this is going to bring a lot of new people and further demand for services.??

Fan Pier has just one building now, but plans call for an eight-building complex that would include offices, residences, stores, and hotel rooms, in addition to parks and a marina. Vertex says it will lease 1.1 million square feet of office and lab space over the next 15 years in two of those buildings.

The company?s expansion plans were secured yesterday when the Food and Drug Administration approved Incivek, Vertex?s hepatitis C treatment. Incivek is the first drug developed solely by the company and will transform it into a profit-making juggernaut virtually overnight. An estimated 3 million Americans suffer from the liver disease and analysts project that the tablet could become a blockbuster, meaning annual sales of at least $1 billion.

?There will always be a huge demand for this drug,?? said Greg Vasil, chief executive of the Greater Boston Real Estate Board. ?That bodes well for the company and for Fan Pier, where Vertex will serve as a huge anchor in terms of bringing new traffic to the waterfront.??

The deal is considered a milestone for Boston officials, who have long sought to lure a major biotechnology company from Cambridge, where many of the state?s key life sciences firms are based.

Vertex?s relocation is ?going to change the dynamics here for a lot of people for a lot of different reasons,?? said Joe Fallon, chief executive of Fallon Co., whose Boston-based development firm will oversee the project. ?For a lot of the smaller scale start-ups, bringing Vertex here confirms what they already know: that this is an area for growth, not just for Boston but for the entire region.??

Fallon said he intends to begin construction in the coming days. Some Vertex employees will begin moving to the waterfront this fall, into an existing building at One Marina Park Drive.

?It?s hard to compare this location with any other in the city,?? Fallon said. ?Across the street there?s already discussion of more apartments and retail stores. Adding 1,500 new employees to this location will have an immediate impact.??

The Vertex lease will also result in expansion of the nearby marina, improving access to the area via a new water taxi service.

Casey Ross can be reached at cross@globe.com.

Remember, the fenway/yawkey project "broke ground" in November.

Not a single piece of dirt has been lifted 6 months later.

They're just waiting for the last of the snow to melt, obviously! :rolleyes:

Remember, the fenway/yawkey project "broke ground" in November.

Not a single piece of dirt has been lifted 6 months later.

This is a bit of a different situation, no? Presumably there is a substantial lease either already signed or about to be signed. Said lease coupled with this week's FDA approval is all the developer should need to get financing to start this project. I do not believe there have been any leases signed for the fenway project and if there have been, I am sure they pale in comparison to the size of this deal. I can see preliminary site work starting in the next few weeks with heavy construction beginning in 2 months or so.

This is a bit of a different situation, no? Presumably there is a substantial lease either already signed or about to be signed. Said lease coupled with this week's FDA approval is all the developer should need to get financing to start this project. I do not believe there have been any leases signed for the fenway project and if there have been, I am sure they pale in comparison to the size of this deal. I can see preliminary site work starting in the next few weeks with heavy construction beginning in 2 months or so.

Also Fish is not capable of pulling off this project until he teams up with some big time developer to help. This was a give way to a connected developer just like Winn was handed Columbus Sq.

Fallon: "?For a lot of the smaller scale start-ups, bringing Vertex here confirms what they already know: that this is an area for growth, not just for Boston but for the entire region.??

You want to see growth? Liberty Wharf is growth. It revitalizes and rejuvinates prime waterfront land. In fact, there's no reason why the waterfront couldn't be multiple Liberty Wharfs all along the water. As the crowds at Lib Wharf show, the demand is there. (Am I wrong about this?) And yet Fallon has insisted on a 9 to 5 office park of falloncubes and menino stumps facing right onto the water. This is awful and a wasted opportunity.

And above all, it cannibalizes from Cambridge. Is that "growth"? Only by a trick of municipal boundary lines, yes.

Fallon: "?For a lot of the smaller scale start-ups, bringing Vertex here confirms what they already know: that this is an area for growth, not just for Boston but for the entire region.??

You want to see growth? Liberty Wharf is growth. It revitalizes and rejuvinates prime waterfront land. In fact, there's no reason why the waterfront couldn't be multiple Liberty Wharfs all along the water. As the crowds at Lib Wharf show, the demand is there. (Am I wrong about this?) And yet Fallon has insisted on a 9 to 5 office park of falloncubes and menino stumps facing right onto the water. This is awful and a wasted opportunity.

And above all, it cannibalizes from Cambridge. Is that "growth"? Only by a trick of municipal boundary lines, yes.

Not including the fact that the city & state gave Vertex 75 Million in tax breaks when this really should be the job of the Developer to entice a customer to rent his building not the TAXPAYER.

I can't find any proof about the tax break. Universal Hub says it was approved but only worth $12 million. Is it $12 million for each of six/seven years or what?

Thanks.

I can't find any proof about the tax break. Universal Hub says it was approved but only worth $12 million. Is it $12 million for each of six/seven years or what?

Thanks.

The city provided 12 Million and the state provided some also. Here is a press release from the Herald. They claim here it is 60 Million but I believe all I read it was in the ballpark of the 70 Million.

Cambridge blasts Hub, state over Vertex goodies
Don?t pilfer our jobs
By Jerry Kronenberg
Wednesday, February 2, 2011 - Updated 4 months ago

E-mail Print (26) Comments Text size Share
Cambridge city councilors are slamming Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino for ?luring? Vertex Pharmaceuticals to South Boston ? and criticizing state officials for providing some $60 million in aid to promote the move.

?Vertex Pharmaceuticals has been lured to the South Boston Waterfront by Mayor Menino, (which) could negatively impact (Cambridge) tax revenue, which could impact city services,? city councilors wrote in a unanimous resolution hammering ?the aggressive manner shown by Mayor Menino and the city of Boston to attract business (at) Cambridge?s expense.?

City councilors also voted 7-1 in favor of a second resolution calling state incentives for Vertex?s move ?especially egregious. Cambridge taxpayers are essentially helping foot the bill to shuffle cubicles across the river out of their city.?

Councilors are hopping mad over word last week that Vertex plans to leave Cambridge and relocate some 1,300 jobs to the South Boston Seaport District?s Fan Pier complex.

Vertex also agreed to create 500 additional jobs at the site in exchange for state aid that comes on top of some $12 million in city tax breaks.

Cambridge City Councilor Tim Toomey, who sponsored the measure slamming Menino, said Boston officials ?aren?t going to be making up Cambridge?s tax losses (from Vertex?s departure). If Boston wants to lure companies from Silicon Valley, that?s OK, but to go across the river to Cambridge isn?t.?

City Councilor Leland Cheung, who sponsored the second resolution, accused Menino of ?poaching? companies from Cambridge with the state?s financial help.

?If we?re going to be competing against Boston for jobs, that?s one thing, but the state shouldn?t be intervening between cities,? he said.

However, Menino spokeswoman Dot Joyce rejected such criticisms. ?The city of Boston feels that when one community thrives, we all thrive,? she said.

http://www.bostonherald.com/busines...mbridge_blasts_hub_state_over_vertex_goodies/

Back