Fan Pier Developments | Seaport

For those complaining about the high price of stumps, Harvard was spending $1 billion plus for four four to seven story stumps in Science Complex I in Allston, with about 600,000 sq ft above ground.

One should not compare the cost of lab space with commercial office space.

As for the condo that Fallon says he will soon build, I'll wager that Vertex told him they want that built (or at least the heavy construction done) by the time they move in.

For those complaining about the high price of stumps, Harvard was spending $1 billion plus for four four to seven story stumps in Science Complex I in Allston, with about 600,000 sq ft above ground.

One should not compare the cost of lab space with commercial office space.

As for the condo that Fallon says he will soon build, I'll wager that Vertex told him they want that built (or at least the heavy construction done) by the time they move in.

Im not complaining that the stumps are ludicrously priced.

Im complaining that the claims that this is the most expensive private project in the country is pure BS.

Im not complaining that the stumps are ludicrously priced.

Im complaining that the claims that this is the most expensive private project in the country is pure BS.
As a single project, i.e., Vertex, he may be correct for the moment; i.e., of projects started in the past year. The WTC is more expensive, but that's been underway. The Trans-Bay is still looking for its final chunk of financing.

As a single project, i.e., Vertex, he may be correct for the moment; i.e., of projects started in the past year. The WTC is more expensive, but that's been underway. The Trans-Bay is still looking for its final chunk of financing.

Did you miss my post full of examples....? Look up.

Did you miss my post full of examples....? Look up.
No, I didn't miss your post.

The quotation was
As Fan Pier developers broke ground yesterday on the largest private-sector project in the United States so far this year and celebrated the biggest commercial lease in Hub history with Vertex Pharmaceuticals, they pledged to soon add residential buildings to the long-stalled South Boston site.
Bolding mine.

I believe the WSJ said it was the largest private sector project to break ground since the end of the recession (the recession was between 2007 and 2009). Are any in your list of projects one's that started construction in 2010 or the first five months of 2011?

No, I didn't miss your post.

The quotation was Bolding mine.

I believe the WSJ said it was the largest private sector project to break ground since the end of the recession (the recession was between 2007 and 2009). Are any in your list of projects one's that started construction in 2010 or the first five months of 2011?

How is it the largest private sector project when the city & state are dishing out 72 Million in tax subsidiaries?

It's more like a private and public project. Which only Fallon, the Mayor and his friends will reap all the taxpayer benefits. The rest of the public will have to eat shit including the city of Cambridge.

Think the Pru

there was a combination of Federal, State and Boston + private sector participation

If I remember correctly the Boston part was some type of tax deal instead of the Pru paying straight real estate taxes

I think that Fan Pier / Innovation District can have the same level of influence on the economy of the City of Boston as either the Pru did in Boston or Cambridge Center did in Cambridge

so yes the taxpayer is part of the deal -- but in the end I think it certainly beats dumping the money into some union's pension fund

On a few prior posts:

1. Regarding the taxpayer: The Vertex tax break is a small fraction of taxpayer investment in the Innovation District. The taxpayer has spent an estimated $5 billion in infrastructure improvements and public works projects in the Seaport District over the past 20 years (CAT, MBTA, BCEC, Harbor, etc.). As mentioned yesterday, McCourt paid $10 million for parcels which appreciated to $200 million, without a single new (private) development on them. Although I support nearly all of the public investments, I don't support the City giving away the store to the private property owners and developers. Much discussed this month here.

2. Regarding the "largest" project in the USA. The rhetoric has always been astounding at groundbreakings and approvals regarding the scale of projects. Fan Pier and Seaport Square are often referred to in their entirety (over 3 million square feet each) without a disclaimer that the master plans are for a 20-30 year buildout, not the individual projects actually moving forward. Consider the statement "This 6.3 million square foot project will be Boston’s largest development in history, signaling the strength of Boston’s economy and continued investment in the city" from the 2010 Seaport Square announcement here.

On the subject of media research, another recent press release stated "Since January 2010, 50 new companies have opened in Boston’s Innovation District with almost 2,000 new jobs." Yet no accounting of where these jobs are in the Innovation District and whether the "added" jobs are simply new tenants rolled in place of prior tenants in wharf buildings and the Design Center (as they have been for a decade).

Think the Pru

there was a combination of Federal, State and Boston + private sector participation

If I remember correctly the Boston part was some type of tax deal instead of the Pru paying straight real estate taxes

I think that Fan Pier / Innovation District can have the same level of influence on the economy of the City of Boston as either the Pru did in Boston or Cambridge Center did in Cambridge

so yes the taxpayer is part of the deal -- but in the end I think it certainly beats dumping the money into some union's pension fund

It's really tough to justify what private sector companies should get tax subsidiaries especially when the city of Boston is laying off teachers and closing libraries for our children.

Fallon bought Fan Pier with the intention of development. When the private sector buys a project they need to make it work, not depend on the taxpayers of Massachusetts. This is not capitalism. Basically Fallon paid too much for the site and just got bailed out by his friend the Mayor.

If we were going to use taxpayer’s money then try to entice a company that was located from a different state not a company located in the city of Cambridge. That is how pathetic these politicians are.

I'm glad to see that the site will be developed, Could it be a domino effect for Seaport? Possibly, but I still think the economy is very weak to justify 400-500K condos.
Plus I don't see Hynes developing Seaport I think he flips the property to someone else.
I think Fallon's project would have looked good near Kendall Square somewhere or maybe next to the Genyme building........ I think we should have had something different than the Biotech Sector in this area when it actually evolved in Cambridge for a reason. Fallon did what he had to do to survive.......
I think overtime companies will begin to flock back to the Downtown & Financial part of the city because of the underground transit makes a better commute for its employees in the winter time, especially if Filenes gets built. That is the one problem I see with Seaport.

Overall Fan Pier will look better than the parking lots we had before.

". Regarding the taxpayer: The Vertex tax break is a small fraction of taxpayer investment in the Innovation District."

Don't think of it that way......It justifies our politicans to take larger fractions in the future to try to justify creating more jobs for more private projects. It opens the flood gates of bailing out the failures of this nation. You see the more GOVT is involved with the private sector the more the laws get tainted and nobody gives a shit about regulations or laws. Then all of a sudden you have GOVT interests involved with the private sectors agendas against the hardworking class of this country. This is why so many things are gamed against the working class.

Developer: Condos next for Fan Pier
By Brendan Lynch
Thursday, June 23, 2011

As Fan Pier developers broke ground yesterday on the largest private-sector project in the United States so far this year and celebrated the biggest commercial lease in Hub history with Vertex Pharmaceuticals, they pledged to soon add residential buildings to the long-stalled South Boston site.

“Adding 1,800 employees means we’ll be adding residential. It’s not rocket science,” said developer Joseph Fallon. “You bring people to the waterfront, you add more people, there’s going to be more demand for that use.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/real_estate/view/2011_0623developer_condos_next_for_fan_pier

The Vertex Office Buildings
The two buildings that break ground today are each eighteen stories high and offer a combined total of approximately 1.1 million square feet of research (laboratory) and office space, plus 60,000 square feet of ground floor restaurant and retail, and underground parking. The buildings are designed by two highly-acclaimed architectural firms and Boston-based Turner Construction will serve as the project’s general contractor.

50 Northern Avenue is designed by Tsoi/Kobus Associates of Cambridge, MA. The contemporary building design is comprised of a floor to ceiling glass exterior with light blue glass and a full height sloped design feature along Northern Avenue, to offer panoramic views of the waterfront and surrounding Boston skyline.

11 Fan Pier Boulevard is designed by Elkus/Manfredi Architects of Boston, the same firm responsible for designing Fan Pier’s first office building, ONE Marina Park Drive. This building design is comprised of floor to ceiling glass set into a metal framework pattern with crisp green glass. A key design feature of this building is a curved building design on the east face of the structure overlooking a seventh floor outdoor terrace, as well as an all-glass feature at the corners of the building facing the city.

Planned public improvements will include all new streets, utilities, sidewalks, decorative paving and landscaping around the new buildings as well as a new Public Water Transportation dock with a ticket facility and public restrooms. These improvements complement the existing two-acre waterfront park that was built by The Fallon Company adjacent to ONE Marina Park Drive.

It is anticipated that both buildings will achieve Gold LEED certification upon completion.
http://www.bostonredevelopmentautho...celebrates-vertex-groundbreaking-at-fan-pier/

None of your examples broke ground this year, which is what the article was referencing.

To put this in perspective, the $800 million development will mark the largest private construction project currently underway in the nation. It will employ 1,200 construction workers and, later, 1,800 full-time Vertex workers.

Where does it say anything about 2011?

Currently underway.

Of course it's easy to "correct" it.

It's the largest private construction project breaking ground in June, north of Connecticut, but east of Springfield, in the nation!

Also, someone explain to me how a crane arrives on site and yet no detailed renders or plans are released to the public...?

And why isnt there a mandatory observation deck?

Also, someone explain to me how a crane arrives on site and yet no detailed renders or plans are released to the public...?

And why isnt there a mandatory observation deck?

The public review process and public amenity concessions are just required for developers that aren't pals with the mayor.

But seriously, this is a great question. How does such a large project in such a prominent location just start without even a publicly available rendering, much less a public review process? Really illustrates what a joke the process is in this city.

The way things get done, or DON'T get done in this town makes me sick. If I could get married in New York State, I'd move to Ne... oh, wait, hey. Hmm.

To put this in perspective, the $800 million development will mark the largest private construction project currently underway in the nation. It will employ 1,200 construction workers and, later, 1,800 full-time Vertex workers.

Where does it say anything about 2011?

Currently underway.

Of course it's easy to "correct" it.

It's the largest private construction project breaking ground in June, north of Connecticut, but east of Springfield, in the nation!

Post #1728, directly preceding your post #1729 quoted a link that said:

"As Fan Pier developers broke ground yesterday on the largest private-sector project in the United States so far this year and celebrated the biggest commercial lease in Hub history with Vertex Pharmaceuticals, they pledged to soon add residential buildings to the long-stalled South Boston site."

'BROKE GROUND on the largest private-sector project in the United States so far this year' means to me that it is the largest private-sector ground breaking so far this year in the United States. Each of your examples broke ground in previous years.

Just because you used a link from McGrory who doesn't know how to write, doesn't mean that it is a fact.

The simple fact is that it is the largest private-sector project in the ENTIRE US of A that has BROKEN GROUND so far in 2011. If you want to choose to use the incorrect McGrory column instead of the correct link from the post directly preceding yours, then so be it.

The public review process and public amenity concessions are just required for developers that aren't pals with the mayor.

But seriously, this is a great question. How does such a large project in such a prominent location just start without even a publicly available rendering, much less a public review process? Really illustrates what a joke the process is in this city.

Seriously, for every other building the public process involves scrutinizing absolutely everything, from mass to colors to height to parking to trees etc.

Do we even know how many parking spots?

Do we even know the real colors?

Have wind tests been done?

What will the shadows be like a 4pm on February 12th on a partially cloudy day?

How the hell is there a crane working on this thing and yet the neighborhood doesn't know shit?

For crying out loud, the best rendering we had on groundbreaking day was a cake!

What blows my mind is that other developers don't press charges against the rampant corruption in the mayors office and BRA.

shmessy, I pointed out the very first instance of the claim.

For crying out loud, the best rendering we had on groundbreaking day was a cake!

This comment took the cake. It made me LOL at how incredibly pathetic the entire situation is.

However, I do support cake renderings. Especially if I can get some. :rolleyes:

There is too much Public Process -- it just means endless kibitzing by people with no real stake in the projects

Make the rules then stand back

worked pretty well for the filling and building of the Back Bay

Back