Fenway Center (One Kenmore) | Turnpike Parcel 7, Beacon Street | Fenway

Shirley Leung's impassioned op-ed appeal on behalf of Rosenthal and his sought-after tax breaks.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...SAVF1NcXImvYJOnsJ/story.html?p1=Well_BG_Links

Excerpts:

Theories abound on the snub. Menino didn’t want Rosenthal’s good works to overshadow his own. Rosenthal is better known for saving lives than building towers; he’s behind the giant anti-gun-violence billboard over the Pike and has raised more than $20 million to help Boston’s homeless.

Or maybe it was because Rosenthal wasn’t using the right contractor — i.e., John Fish’s Suffolk Construction. Or maybe the mayor didn’t want Rosenthal to pose a threat to another favorite son, developer Steve Samuels, who has been building out the Fenway area.
It’s always hard to throw public money at private projects, but in this case, what’s good for the developer is for the greater good of the city.

As much as I don't like the current renderings, and agree this project probably should get shelved. I would love to see the pike decked over, and would hate to see development hung up over 1.5% of the project cost.

Does Rosenthal have any other developments in any stage, design, construction, completed? If nothing else, I think it would be good to encourage new developers get into the mix. Although the best thing for that would be a clearer review process by the BRA, and not by dropping our pants and handing out tax breaks to every developer.

So I'm torn, I want the project to happen (although redesigned a bit) but Marty needs to show that he's not just going to hand out tax breaks to every project.

As much as I don't like the current renderings, and agree this project probably should get shelved. I would love to see the pike decked over, and would hate to see development hung up over 1.5% of the project cost.

Does Rosenthal have any other developments in any stage, design, construction, completed? If nothing else, I think it would be good to encourage new developers get into the mix. Although the best thing for that would be a clearer review process by the BRA, and not by dropping our pants and handing out tax breaks to every developer.

So I'm torn, I want the project to happen (although redesigned a bit) but Marty needs to show that he's not just going to hand out tax breaks to every project.

IIRC, Rosenthal and Winn (of Columbus Center) have a similar property portfolio, mainly residential, mainly suburban.

Rosenthal's property list.
http://www.meredithmanagement.com/properties.php

His problem, like Winn, is that he cannot leverage his portfolio to get sufficient outside financing.

How about instead, the city spend 7.8 million to deck the Pike themselves already, and then sell off the deck. Maybe it could only support a 4-6 story wood framed building, but at this point who cares.

Does Rosenthal own the air rights? What occurs if he can't get the funding to build? Does MassDOT regain control after some period of time if he does not build?

Tower is phased

I'll take your word for it. I just figured if the tower was still part of the overall development, that it would still be part of the rendering, unless it's phased out until waaaay later pending additional financing, which I would call more of a separate project than another phase.

As much as I'd like to see the Pike bridged over, is this an instance where we i.e. the city, are unable to see the forest through the trees? How much better would the neighborhood be if we were just able to develop those parking lots, without bridging the Pike, at least not in this phase? Based on this project and the failed Columbus Center project, I wonder if the city needs to really promote the development of the "low hanging" fruit lots in order to leave the air rights projects as the last real opportunity for development.

With that said, Rosenthal clearly can't get this done.

I agree, it makes no sense to develop air rights parcels right next to parking lots. There are some other Pike parcels that abut full development, but this isn't one of them. As for how we get anything built over the Pike, I firmly believe that the city and state need to kick in for the cost of decking before we see anything happen.

If this project does ever happen, are there any future plans to build on the other sides of Beacon and Brookline ave? Even if this project gets built, one side of each street will still be open to the pike below, which can feel like the edge of the earth if you're walking along the sidewalks. Just a thought, which I believe has been mentioned on this thread before, but it would be nice to see both roads completely closed off from the pike.

If this project does ever happen, are there any future plans to build on the other sides of Beacon and Brookline ave? Even if this project gets built, one side of each street will still be open to the pike below, which can feel like the edge of the earth if you're walking along the sidewalks. Just a thought, which I believe has been mentioned on this thread before, but it would be nice to see both roads completely closed off from the pike.

It wouldn't be unprecedented to start with something like this:

https://sites.google.com/site/freew...n-learn-from-florence-italy-and-columbus-ohio

A much cheaper "highway cap" that improves the retail and pedestrian experience. This could be perfect for Beacon and Brookline Streets until all of the parking lot parcels are developed. Then, with increasing development pressure, full decking can occur and have a better ROI.

EDIT: The best place for this would be Columbus Ave. But would certainly work in Fenway as well.

This looks awesome, and actually looks like it could be useful in many places over the pike scar. As long as it isn't detrimental to future highrise development in those areas, I love this idea for connecting the neighborhoods divided by highways. I'm even thinking the pike near the Ink Block development, connecting that area with downtown.

Why can't MassDOT actually consider a phased decking like that? It seems right now they are waiting for a windfall deal with a developer (and no developer can make the numbers work), and will eventually come to realize they must deck it themselves (and that won't ever happen either). Small, piecemeal decking around bridges to restore at least a semblance of urban fabric is the best way forward.

Welp, this just happened for better or worse:
Mayor Martin J. Walsh is proposing to give a $4.6 million tax break to one of Boston’s most ambitious developments, a $550 million project near Fenway Park that could allow him to make his first major imprint on the city’s skyline.

A vote on the financing is scheduled for Thursday at a Boston Redevelopment Authority board meeting.

Rosenthal and city officials said the tax relief is structured to help fund construction of the project’s retail spaces, not its luxury apartments. The deal would reduce the project’s taxes over a six -ear period during its construction and early years of operation. After its completion, Fenway Center is expected to generate about $5 million a year in taxes, and the developer will also pay the state $226 million to lease the 4.5-acre development site over 99 years.

But the battle to start construction is not over. Rosenthal said it will take at least a year to finalize construction drawings, get a building permit, and complete financing arrangements with Bentall Kennedy.

That leaves the project vulnerable to sudden changes in the economy or local real estate market that could undermine its feasibility. For example, about 8,000 apartments are expected to be completed in Boston during the next few years, an unprecedented influx of supply that has caused some to question whether development of additional units will pay off.

The tax break is tied to the onset of construction, and would not be provided unless the work proceeds.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...r-tax-break/9uFiHNxhJZU5oDYTHtIk3M/story.html

Let's hope this pans out for the better. I'm happy to hear the plan is to focus on retail first - that area of Brookline Ave and Beacon Street is currently a dead zone and feels sketchy at night.

Oh, God. How obvious can it be that this Rosenthal guy just doesn't have it?

Walshy can't be so desperate. My guess is that he is simply calling Rosenthal's bluff here to show the Emperor Has No Clothes. Could be forcing his hand to finally give it up and bring in a co-developer.

Oh, God. How obvious can it be that this Rosenthal guy just doesn't have it?

Walshy can't be so desperate. My guess is that he is simply calling Rosenthal's bluff here to show the Emperor Has No Clothes. Could be forcing his hand to finally give it up and bring in a co-developer.

The article suggests that he does indeed have the money:

"Though the mayor’s offer is less than he requested, Rosenthal said, the deal has been accepted by his primary financial backer, the international pension fund investor Bentall Kennedy, and will allow construction to proceed after nearly a decade of toil."

The article suggests that he does indeed have the money:

"Though the mayor’s offer is less than he requested, Rosenthal said, the deal has been accepted by his primary financial backer, the international pension fund investor Bentall Kennedy, and will allow construction to proceed after nearly a decade of toil."

This part of the article suggests 'not so fast':

"But the battle to start construction is not over. Rosenthal said it will take at least a year to finalize construction drawings, get a building permit, and complete financing arrangements with Bentall Kennedy.

That leaves the project vulnerable to sudden changes in the economy or local real estate market that could undermine its feasibility. For example, about 8,000 apartments are expected to be completed in Boston during the next few years, an unprecedented influx of supply that has caused some to question whether development of additional units will pay off."

Once again, Rosenthal has been holding out for a tax break representing LESS THAN 1% of his project's cost - - earlier stating that it was do or die. 1% as do or die? Now he is saying 'well, it'll still be a year for thepermitting and the FINALIZATION of arrangements with Bentall Kennedy and in that time a whole lot can change with the economy....'

Walsh made a good move here to force him to shit or get off the pot. This guy has been nothing but all hat and no cattle.

"Rosenthal said it will take at least a year to finalize construction drawings, get a building permit, and complete financing arrangements with Bentall Kennedy."

This isn't happening folks.

Back