Fenway Center (One Kenmore) | Turnpike Parcel 7, Beacon Street | Fenway

btw, is it me--or does this project score like a "9.4" for impact-ful?
Congratulations to us for the best project until the Huntington rises, (which will also be great). :dance:

Anyone have any insight about the possible, eventual construction of the Main Air Right's tower?

I have a present for you...

When looking for news on phase 2 I found this, which I had not heard anything about yet. Awesome news:

“Gerding Edlen, which is developing the Fenway Center in a partnership with Meredith Management and TH Real Estate, is working with Massachusetts officials and the Massachusetts Department of Transportation to figure out a model for all air rights projects and how to share the cost burden on decking. “

https://www.bisnow.com/boston/news/construction-development/boston-developers-optimistic-in-face-of-market-correction-and-even-see-some-benefit-96609

I thought it was determined a while ago that they essentially shot themselves in the foot by eliminating the staging for the air rights by building this first set of buildings and that it had become apparent they will never see the light of day..?

I really wonder why the Turnpike Authority doesn’t deck the whole thing and lease out the lots for development. Then I remember it’s the Turnpike Authority, where sensible behavior is a bug and not a feature.

I really wonder why the Turnpike Authority doesn’t deck the whole thing and lease out the lots for development. Then I remember it’s the Turnpike Authority, where sensible behavior is a bug and not a feature.

That's not the issue in this one -- its total cost -- you are talking Big Dig type $ to deck the entire turnpike

The ROI would not be acceptable to the Bond Holders

and remember SouthGate Boston
bldup story
https://www.bldup.com/projects/185-kneeland-street
May 02, 2017

No bidders for SouthGate Boston, 7.5 acres of state-owned land in Leather District
185 Kneeland Street, Leather District, Boston, MA
7.5 total acres of state-owned land located steps to South Station.

SouthGate Boston is currently used as the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) District 6 Highway Division headquarters and also houses a Veolia steam plant.

MassDOT put SouthGate up for sale in 2016, with a bid deadline of April 28th, 2017.

No developers responded to MassDOT's bid; MassDOT remains committed to developing the site. The following is a locus map of SouthGate Boston:
SouthGate-Boston-Development-Project-Site-Leather-District-South-Station-MBTA-MassDOT.jpg

Joint venture between MassDOT and Veolia would demolish steam plant, replace DOT's District 6 offices, and open up as much as 2 million sq ft for development.

No takers so far and this has land that you don't have to deck over to build upon

I literally posted a link 2 posts above you about how theyre finally working on a plan.

No one took that land because its a super site that no one wants to touch with a ten foot pole - among other things. Not at all an apples to apples with the air rights parcels.

The Turnpike Authority ceased to exist almost exactly 10 years ago.

MassDOT has spent 2019 working with several different developers to develop design standards and construction approaches/agreements for privately-built tunnels on I-90.

No one took that land because its a super site that no one wants to touch with a ten foot pole - among other things. Not at all an apples to apples with the air rights parcels.

Yep if I recall the state tried to pull a fast one here and developers rightly stayed away. They weren't allowing bidders to assess the potential environmental situation and then bid based on the cost to cleanup. The state was hoping they'd find some sucker to take the land.

Then there was also the problem that the bidder would need to build a new plant for Veolia. And finally on top of all that they attached all kinds of massing and height restrictions on the site.

Setup insane conditions and that's what you get: nothing.

The Turnpike Authority ceased to exist almost exactly 10 years ago.

MassDOT has spent 2019 working with several different developers to develop design standards and construction approaches/agreements for privately-built tunnels on I-90.

But no one is talking about huge amounts of decking

The work that is being done is to set up a path to get to a project such as the Boylston St. parcels that require minimal amounts of decking with minimal loading completed

Remember that no developer since Copley Place has built directly over the Turnpike

But no one is talking about huge amounts of decking

The work that is being done is to set up a path to get to a project such as the Boylston St. parcels that require minimal amounts of decking with minimal loading completed

Remember that no developer since Copley Place has built directly over the Turnpike

Right. Put a boulevard and/or park space along the bulk of the Turnpike corridor through Chinatown/South End/Back Bay. Put development on the periphery (by getting rid of most of Marginal Road and Herald Street in lieu of the new roadway over the Pike). Most of the development could be anchored on solid ground.

EDIT: Davem had some great sketches of this idea somewhere, but I'm not gonna hunt for them rn.

Yep. Basically build something like comm ave with park in the center, roadways on the sides and buildings on marginal and herald. There's a lot of space for it, especially on the herald st side.

It's about time for another blanket THANK YOU to our community's prolific photographers. BeeLine and DZH22 keep week-to-week knowledge of all these projects up-to-date. BeeLine's documentary-depth photo walks give so much detail to those who don't get out to the neighborhoods often. DZH22's skyline shots put everything into a bigger context. It's great to have kz1000ps back with his gorgeous compositions. Also a kudos to anyone I left out. Well done, foks!

For this being the “less substantial” phase, this is great. Even without crossing the pike it still brings both sides much closer together.

Waiting on the facade material for this one, but so far so good. This is a big win for the area as it is.

Back