Fenway Corners (Red Sox) | 1 Jersey Street | Fenway

Two more renderings from this article: https://www.fastcompany.com/9063527...arking-lots-are-about-to-get-a-major-makeover

1-90635270-turning-baseball-stadium-parking-into-a-neighborhood-at-bostonand8217s-fenway-park.jpg

Van Ness looking East across Jersey street, so that would be still open to traffic but heavily pedestrianized.

3-90635270-turning-baseball-stadium-parking-into-a-neighborhood-at-bostonand8217s-fenway-park.jpg

Intersection of Brookline and Jersey at the North end of Jersey.

Look at that height!

Current view for context:
View attachment 13072
Love the renders (especially rehabing the old bank building at the corner of Brookline and Jersey!) but that article lost me in the opening paragraph.
Like a lot of sports stadiums in the United States, Boston’s Fenway Park sits in an area dominated by parking. There are surface lots, parking garages, and plenty of streets designed specifically to get people in and out on game days.
GMAFB. Is there another "Fenway Park" that this article is referring to that I haven't heard of?

EDIT: Alright, I just gritted my teeth and made it through the whole article. It is full of cringe, including this:
Though the project will primarily involve removing parking lots and garages, it does stand to bring significant change to the character of the neighborhood, likely in the form of increased rents.
Again, is this the same Fenway neighborhood I know and live in? Yikes.

Also, I just noticed that this is the article's subtitle:
Can a baseball stadium ever anchor a great, walkable neighborhood? Boston’s Fenway Park is about to find out.
The Fenway already is a "great, walkable neighborhood." We don't need WS Development for that. I honestly think that if the Globe tried to run with this article the editors that John Henry employs would be like "slow down there, partner" and send it back for a re-write.

Last edited:
Love the renders (especially rehabing the old bank building at the corner of Brookline and Jersey!) but that article lost me in the opening paragraph.

GMAFB. Is there another "Fenway Park" that this article is referring to that I haven't heard of?

EDIT: Alright, I just gritted my teeth and made it through the whole article. It is full of cringe, including this:

Again, is this the same Fenway neighborhood I know and live in? Yikes.

Also, I just noticed that this is the article's subtitle:

The Fenway already is a "great, walkable neighborhood." We don't need WS Development for that. I honestly think that if the Globe tried to run with this article the editors that John Henry employs would be like "slow down there, partner" and send it back for a re-write.

Jumbo your reactions are almost word for word what I was thinking as I read that piece, too 😂

Am I mistaken, or does this NOT include the vast parking lot across Brookline Ave.. If not, is there any word on that project? Combine that with this and everything Samuels, and the Fenway will be another city unto itself. I love it.
Keep in mind this is 2 1/2 miles from city hall. Outside of Chicago and New York, (and maybe Miami) I am hard pressed to find another city sub-center in the United States with similar densities. Longwood comes to mind...

Curious to see what the renders look like for the Landsdowne portion

Am I mistaken, or does this NOT include the vast parking lot across Brookline Ave.. If not, is there any word on that project?

It does still include that parking lot, but they haven't released any renders for it.

Excited to see what that will look like, but super excited to see the landsdowne portion of the project that will include the air rights parcel too.

It does still include that parking lot, but they haven't released any renders for it.

Excited to see what that will look like, but super excited to see the landsdowne portion of the project that will include the air rights parcel too.
Thank you. 2.1 million sq ft. sounds low to me, then. In the renders there are at two 400,O00 buildings fronting Jersey street alone. I can realistically see 2 million sq feet in that parking lot, its resemblance to Landmark Centre in lot size is hard to ignore.

That's 2.8, and I haven't even done the math.

Thank you. 2.1 million sq ft. sounds low to me, then. In the renders there are at two 400,O00 buildings fronting Jersey street alone. I can realistically see 2 million sq feet in that parking lot, its resemblance to Landmark Centre in lot size is hard to ignore.

That's 2.8, and I haven't even done the math.
The NESV owned lot on Brookline is 36,845 square feet. The Landmark Center lot is over 10x that size at 383,072 sq ft (it's actually pretty close in size to Fenway Park itself).

Note that the NESV lot only extends as far back as the straight part of Ortiz drive, before it curves to the S. The "back" parking lot there is owned by IQHQ, not NESV.
1621218129531.png

A better comparison to the NESV Brookline lot would be the northeastern portion of the Landmark parcel with the currently-UC "201 Brookline Avenue" office / lab building. That building will be about 480k sf over 14 stories. I'd be surprised if NESV even built to that density, so I'd think that they'd probably put up about 450k sf on their Brookline parcel.

Last edited:
The NESV owned lot on Brookline is 36,845 square feet. The Landmark Center lot is over 10x that size at 383,072 sq ft (it's actually pretty close in size to Fenway Park itself).

Note that the NESV lot only extends as far back as the straight part of Ortiz drive, before it curves to the S. The "back" parking lot there is owned by IQHQ, not NESV.
View attachment 13127

A better comparison to the NESV Brookline lot would be the northeastern portion of the Landmark parcel with the currently-UC "201 Brookline Avenue" office / lab building. That building will be about 480k sf over 14 stories. I'd be surprised if NESV even built to that density, so I'd think that they'd probably put up about 450k sf on their Brookline parcel.
Thank you, I was way off obviously. I wasn't aware that the parking lot was spit into two parcels, for starters....

Just another early warning shot in the March towards making Boston individual-car-free within a couple of decades. It’s all happening and I love it! The Sox are basically saying ‘Don’t even THINK of driving yourself to a game’.

Just another early warning shot in the March towards making Boston individual-car-free within a couple of decades. It’s all happening and I love it! The Sox are basically saying ‘Don’t even THINK of driving yourself to a game’.
I love the sentiment but I bet this project will include a net increase in parking.

I love the sentiment but I bet this project will include a net increase in parking.

Look at the STREETS in those renders. They are constricting. If parking in that area will see a net increase, they are certainly working 180 degrees against it.

Jersey and Van Ness are very low traffic today. Constricting them or even closing them immediately around the park will have minimal impact on traffic volume, especially since they’re already closed and restricted, respectively, on Fenway event days. Keep in mind that this project also includes the extension of Ross Way through to Brookline Ave, which would actually increase auto connectivity in the area on the net and more than make up for the loss of Jersey (not that that’s a bad thing).

Practically all the traffic around here already goes along Boylston St and Brookline Ave. The one-way stretches of Lansdowne, Jersey, and Van Ness are practically Fenway Park access roads. I bet the (two-way) Brookline and the extended Ross will get direct entrances for the new underground garages in these buildings. More autos will likely be able to drive through and park in this area, especially on game days, as a result of this project than without it.

Don’t get me wrong, I love this project! The extended Ross Way will improve connectivity between Boylston and Brookline while shifting some traffic out of the immediate project area around Fenway Park. That’s not a bad thing, and could be win-win for cars and non-cars! But I really don’t think the project is as anti-car as some are trying to make it out to be.

Jersey and Van Ness are very low traffic today. Constricting them or even closing them immediately around the park will have minimal impact on traffic volume, especially since they’re already closed and restricted, respectively, on Fenway event days. Keep in mind that this project also includes the extension of Ross Way through to Brookline Ave, which would actually increase auto connectivity in the area on the net and more than make up for the loss of Jersey (not that that’s a bad thing).

Practically all the traffic around here already goes along Boylston St and Brookline Ave. The one-way stretches of Lansdowne, Jersey, and Van Ness are practically Fenway Park access roads. I bet the (two-way) Brookline and the extended Ross will get direct entrances for the new underground garages in these buildings. More autos will likely be able to drive through and park in this area, especially on game days, as a result of this project than without it.

Don’t get me wrong, I love this project! The extended Ross Way will improve connectivity between Boylston and Brookline while shifting some traffic out of the immediate project area around Fenway Park. That’s not a bad thing, and could be win-win for cars and non-cars! But I really don’t think the project is as anti-car as some are trying to make it out to be.

I hear ya, Jumbo, but this render is showing the two parking lots on each side of Van Ness (behind home plate) as g-o-n-e.

1621373112574.png

On the otherside, I have often parked also in the alleyways of Brookline Ave next to and behind some of those truly derelict buildings that are going to be history very soon as part of the 2.1 million sq feet of development (or 2.8+ million as Cortes has pointed out). The lot where I have parked is probably part of that Ross Way extension you noted, and yes, could be part of more underground parking.

But taking away that much surface parking (not to mention the new MGM used to be covered parking) AND pasting on 2.8+ million square feet? In a 6 block area where every street is at max one lane eaxch way? That's going to be completely unnavigatable for anything other than team busses, supply trucks, VIPs, etc. And all that doesn't even count Rosenthal's massive Pike development across and up from the Cask and Flagon.

The size of development in this small area is unfathomable if we are going to be ADDING parking capacity. It simply doesn't add up. Could they add more parking capacity in these buildings? Sure. But I don't see how the vehicles will be able to get in and out of the place with some many more millions of square footage built up (including Rosenthal/Samuels and this). I really don't.

Of course, the devil is in the details, and we have very little of that at this point. I'm interested also in that Van ness parking lot directly facing first base (next to and behind the Verb). Add on to that the future of the Ipswich Street garage on the other side of the Boston Arts Academy. Lots of moving parts. This is going to be a truly fascinating thing to watch the next 3-8 years.

Last edited:
But taking away that much surface parking (not to mention the new MGM used to be covered parking) AND pasting on 2.8+ million square feet? In a 6 block area where every street is at max one lane eaxch way? That's going to be completely unnavigatable for anything other than team busses, supply trucks, VIPs, etc. And all that doesn't even count Rosenthal's massive Pike development across and up from the Cask and Flagon.

The size of development in this small area is unfathomable if we are going to be ADDING parking capacity. It simply doesn't add up. Could they add more parking capacity in these buildings? Sure. But I don't see how the vehicles will be able to get in and out of the place with some many more millions of square footage built up (including Rosenthal/Samuels and this). I really don't.

How is this condition any different than the Financial District?

How is this condition any different than the Financial District?

Is there a 37,000 seat stadium in the Financial District?

Not to mention BU, Emmanuel, Simmons, the MGM 5,000 seat concert venue, a very large arts high school, the House of Blues, several large clubs, etc. Next to the largest medical center concentration on earth that needs fluid ambulance access.

But , yes, other than those Elephants in the Room, it's condition is absolutely no different than the Financial District.

Last edited:
PNF. Behold: "Fenway Project".

Interesting to note that in approximately 0.75 continuous miles of length, the same road will be called Lenox Street, Mountfort Street, Maitland Street, Overland Street, and Richard B. Ross Way.

Obviously there are many pretty pictures (this project has the best renderings I've ever seen for any development). Here's the money shot.

1622751080652.png

Last edited:

Back