Fenway HoJo's Redevelopment | 1271 Boylston Street | Fenway

Re: Fenway HoJo

I honestly think Fenway is the most exciting area for development in Boston right now, even with the recent materials and design of the architecture.

What does that say about development in Boston as a whole?

I'm curious on the height. By the sounds of it I'd say its gotta be about 20 floors. Somebody with more knowledge has to have a better educated guess than that though.

Somebody mentioned the Sox are against new construction in the area because of the possible wind changes. Is this accurate? I thought it was because they wanted a monopoly on the area and only wanted it developed to compliment fenway park.

I recently worked on a 300 room hotel which measures roughly 300' x 65' for the rental levels. Basically 10 floors of 30 rooms. Plus 3 levels of podium on that one for a total of 13 floors plus penthouse. This one would most likely not have so much podium as it's not part of a mega entertainment development like the one I worked on. But, the condos would be a bt larger than 500sf each.

I'd go with 13-15 storeys tops. But, I don't know the actual size of the lot. And, being a residential building that would be a relatively short building still at 150 feet or less.

Devil's advocate:

In twenty years this Hilton Garden Inn will be a piece of garbage and trendy urbanists will beg for it's replacement. Somebody on a board like this will share a picture of the 1970s funky Howard Johnson's with it's old trademark angular roof, and people will say "I can't believe they tore that down for this Hilton Garden Inn piece of shit!"

Ditto the Midtown Motel! I bet in 20-30 years people will look at pictures of it and say "man, how could they tear that down!"

Or not.

I recently worked on a 300 room hotel which measures roughly 300' x 65' for the rental levels. Basically 10 floors of 30 rooms. Plus 3 levels of podium on that one for a total of 13 floors plus penthouse. This one would most likely not have so much podium as it's not part of a mega entertainment development like the one I worked on. But, the condos would be a bt larger than 500sf each.

I'd go with 13-15 storeys tops. But, I don't know the actual size of the lot. And, being a residential building that would be a relatively short building still at 150 feet or less.

Itll probably be the same height at 1330 and and the triology since its the same group of people and all.

...the Midtown Motel! I bet in 20-30 years people will look at pictures of it and say "man, how could they tear that down!"

I'll go on record as liking the design of the Midtown Hotel, but despising its placement on Huntington Ave. White hammer-tone brick has no place in an urban setting in the Northeast. The building is nicely maintained with exotic plantings, and it only serves to make its presence all the more incongruous and inappropriate.

The Midtown reminds me of Edward Durrell Stone's artfully designed Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula, recently restored and expanded by HOK. It may be America's most beautiful clinical facility.

Devil's advocate:

In twenty years this Hilton Garden Inn will be a piece of garbage and trendy urbanists will beg for it's replacement. Somebody on a board like this will share a picture of the 1970s funky Howard Johnson's with it's old trademark angular roof, and people will say "I can't believe they tore that down for this Hilton Garden Inn piece of shit!"

Ditto the Midtown Motel! I bet in 20-30 years people will look at pictures of it and say "man, how could they tear that down!"

Or not.

If they tore it down and built the Kenmore Square hotel most of us wouldn't be waiting 20 years to lament it.

I'm all for the death of HoJos, but a neighborhood full of Trilogies/1330s sounds like a total bore (can we get another generic chain steakhouse?). Yes, I do realize the value of a midrange hotel.

Anyway, for a vision of the future of this neighborhood, simply check out the recently developed area in SF near ATT Park and the Caltrain station (South Beach/China Basin'/blah blah). Same deal. A bunch of hulking, lookalike mixed use buildings with generic retail options. Better than a sea of parking lots, though.

Dont forget that as of next year Boylston is going to be remade. Wider sidewalks, bike lanes and a new street. If I recall correctly, the Hojo was the only property not on board with the new wider sidewalks which require properties to be set back more. I guess this means theyre on board.

Thanks for actually responding to my question seamus

Dont forget that as of next year Boylston is going to be remade. Wider sidewalks, bike lanes and a new street. If I recall correctly, the Hojo was the only property not on board with the new wider sidewalks which require properties to be set back more. I guess this means theyre on board.

Was it a deeper setback, or a constriction of Boylston St (sidewalks got wider into the street not over the lotlines)? Maybe I'm thinking of somewhere else.

Was it a deeper setback, or a constriction of Boylston St (sidewalks got wider into the street not over the lotlines)? Maybe I'm thinking of somewhere else.

The only way they could get a wider sidewalk AND bike lanes was to push the sidewalk into the properties. The lanes will be striped a bit narrower as well.

Its very easy to see at 1330 as 50% of the sidewalk leads to a lump of dirt and tree at the burger king property line.

Developers Seek To Replace Fenway Motel With Hotel, Retail Space
By Paul McMorrow
Banker & Tradesman Staff Writer

Boston developers Weiner Ventures have told city officials they want to replace the aging Howard Johnson motel in the shadow of Fenway Park with 350,000 square feet of hotel, residential and retail space, the Boston Redevelopment Authority said today.

Weiner Ventures filed a letter of intent with the BRA yesterday, kicking off a long permitting process. The letter proposed constructing two interconnected 12-story buildings - a 175,000-square-foot residential component and a 170,000-square-foot hotel component - more than 4,000 square feet of retail space and 280 underground parking spaces.

The Howard Johnson motel at 1271 Boylston St. has been controlled by the Sage family since 1985. The 59,000-square-foot parcel has long been viewed as a probable redevelopment site. In 2005, the Boston Globe reported that the Boston Red Sox were attempting to joint venture with the Sages to build a $140 million condominium and hotel complex on the site.

"I think there's an appetite for development there. New residents, new retail and new uses that bring positive activity are a welcome addition," said Boston City Council President Michael Ross, who represents the Fenway neighborhood. "Boylston Street is one of the more exciting streets in Boston right now. It represents good planning, good development and a good partnership with the neighborhood. The neighborhood has been a partner in the revitalization of Boylston Street. In some cases, the neighborhood has been a leading advocate for the changes you see."

The letter indicates that Weiner Ventures will seek zoning relief through a Planned Development Area, a designation that gives the BRA broader authority to modify zoning for substantial development projects.

Weiner Ventures' principal, Adam Weiner, was not immediately available for comment.

Link

Mike Ross said:
"Boylston Street is one of the more exciting streets in Boston right now. It represents good planning, good development and a good partnership with the neighborhood.

Now if we could get some good architecture.

I do agree with his comment though.

It couldn't be 20 stories, it would have views into the ballpark.

^^ Thats probably why it isn't.

It couldn't be 20 stories, it would have views into the ballpark.

"The letter proposed constructing two interconnected 12-story buildings - a 175,000-square-foot residential component and a 170,000-square-foot hotel component - more than 4,000 square feet of retail space and 280 underground parking spaces."

When are we going to get a damn rendering?!

Back