Fenway Infill and Small Developments

I was walking the Riverway/Fenway for the first time in a long time last night, and, man, did they do a good job with the Muddy River restoration. The plants look good, the new, naturalized shape looks good, the engineering looks good. It's really cool to see what used to be, in some places, a mess of streets and parking turn back into the park that it was meant to be. And they're not even done yet! Two possible improvements though: they need to have an action plan for dealing with invasive reeds and phragmites in the future, and a cool pedestrian bridge would probably work too. I'm imagining the ped bridges that they have in Buffalo Bayou park in Houston.

^ tell me were getting a brownstone here. One of my life goals is to get into real estate and build a ton of brick/limestone town houses further out from the city in the outer neighborhoods because it turns to triple deckers too fast imo.

That's an awesome goal

If you view Northern Brookline as an extension of Back Bay, the brownstones do go out pretty far, though.

Street wall on Boylston Street is coming along nicely:

New craft beer store - Craft Beer Cellar on the Van Ness St side of the Van Ness development - to add variety to the beer offered at Target upstairs. Nice narrow stall; hopefully the rest of the block fills in with the same type of retail variety:

Wahlburgers looks good:

Saloniki Greek next door in the much debated copper-covered expansion:

With a row of greenery at the edge that almost looks like a bioswale except nothing drains into it:

Another Sweetgreen coming into the other half of the expansion:

Another Sweetgreen coming into the other half of the expansion:

YAY!!! HOORAY!!!!!!

Please, open a SweetGreen in every neighborhood of this city. I can't get enough of them!!!

Also, DigitalSciGuy, thank you for the photo updates recently. We don't necessarily say it enough, but they're greatly appreciated.

Muddy River restoration project and associated roadwork:

RJRzl9q.jpg

UuyUfa6.jpg

Alc3cpu.jpg

^ One of my life goals is to get into real estate and build a ton of brick/limestone town houses further out from the city in the outer neighborhoods because it turns to triple deckers too fast imo.

i wonder if we might be just a few years from a moderate brownstone creep into some of the three decker neighborhoods.

Odurandia -- this will happen at the margins -- not just brownstones, but all manner or slightly upscaling and getting bigger where a Neighborhood loses its essence and intersects a major thoroughfare {e.g. Dot Ave}, or the character of a Neighborhood disappears into a used / or disused industrial area [e.g. South Boston next to the Conley Terminal, South Boston on the edge of the Papas Warehouse District] and of course infill on a former gas station site.

But after all is said and done -- This is Boston -- City composed of its Neighborhoods -- and its Neighborhoods are very parochial -- even the newbies become part of the "Olde Neighborhood"
about_meats1.jpg
in very short order

Who will be in charge of the landscaping after this project is done? This is a great project but if it gets overrun in a couple of years what's the point?

in my top ten favorite urban swamps.

hell, maybe even top 5.

and these photos make a case.

you can almost smell the bloom... :)

Who will be in charge of the landscaping after this project is done? This is a great project but if it gets overrun in a couple of years what's the point?

Back Bay Fens is managed by the City of Boston Parks and Recreation Department and the Emerald Necklace Conservancy (not-for-profit citizen advocacy group).

The point was for storm water mitigation, the fact that it looks nice is a bonus. Even if it gets overgrown you can still see the river now vs before where it was covered.

Thanks for the answers. With all the new development going on in the Fenway area maybe those residents will help pay to keep the Fens nice. Probably wishful thinking though.

Back