Fenway Infill and Small Developments

From Boston.com:

City approves new Fenway condos

By Sara Brown, Town Correspondent

The city redevelopment authority last week approved the construction of 48 new loft condominiums in what is now a parking garage in the East Fenway neighborhood.

The $15 million project at 41 Westland Avenue that will convert the Symphony Parking Garage, a 262-space, six-story building, to a seven-story condominium building, was approved at the Boston Redevelopment Authority's board meeting last week.

Backers of the project noted that the building will offer one of the few home-ownership opportunities in the Fenway neighborhood. The Fenway Civic Association and other organizations have noted that the Fenway has the lowest rates of home ownership in the city.

An additional story will be added to the building for four penthouse apartments and an accessible rooftop, and the ground floor of the building will house 31 parking spaces for residents.

The apartments, one- and two-bedroom "loft style" spaces, will range from 750 to 1400 square feet and sell for between $400,000 and $700,000, said Christopher Kaneb, representing the developer, Catamount Management Corporation, at a community meeting in April.

According to Kaneb, the year-long construction phase is expected to begin in the next year.

The developer has opted to buy-out the seven required affordable units required by the city, paying $200,000 for each of the units to Inclusionary Development Fund.

Email Sara Brown at yourtownsara@gmail.com

This has its own thread: http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?p=121576

"The Fenway Civic Association and other organizations have noted that the Fenway has the lowest rates of home ownership in the city."

Thats because the entire area was bought up by BOSTON UNIVERSITY in the 80's and 90's

$700k for 1400sqft? Not bad, but then everything seems cheep compared to Manhattan. :)

"The Fenway Civic Association and other organizations have noted that the Fenway has the lowest rates of home ownership in the city."

Thats because the entire area was bought up by BOSTON UNIVERSITY in the 80's and 90's

Wrong side. This is in East Fenway.

before you fire make sure that there is something in the chamber

Aside from the wrong location you missed the meaning of the statistic

what it does is take the number of people living in a particular district (not counting hotels, prisons and dorms) == P and find out how many are owner / occupiers = O

then you do the simple math R(rate of home ownership) = O / P

it doesn't matter whether the the number P is large or small due to the use of the district for steel making or housing violent felons or having a Walmart) all that matters is do the residents pay rent or a mortgage

Boylston Street build-out continuing
GLOBE

http://www.boston.com/Boston/busine...7mt8SYe3OVvU4Y9iFv8M/index.html?p1=News_links

A Boston developer is proposing to build 210 residences, offices and retail stores on the site of a former McDonald’s near Fenway Park.

The project by The Abbey Group would transform another lot on outer Boylston Street, which has evolved rapidly in recent years with the addition of new shops and restaurants, along with hundreds of sleek, modern homes.

In a filing submitted to the city today, Abbey Group executives proposed to build a multi-leveled building that would be set back from Boylston Street and create room for outdoor cafe tables and a small courtyard. The building, located at 1282 Boylston Street, would be 16 stories at its peak and step down to four stories closer to adjacent neighborhoods in the west Fenway.

“The proposed project will build on the current momentum in the Boylston Street corridor,“ Abbey Group wrote in its filing. “Demand for Fenway area housing continues to rise steadily as the appeal of this emerging urban village has become a highly desirable area for professionals, young families and empty nesters.”

The property has been used for parking since McDonald’s closed in 2009. The Abbey Group hopes to begin construction later in 2012.

In addition to housing, the firm’s complex would contain 99,000 square feet of offices and 15,000 square feet of retail space -- enough to accommodate a cafe and several other shops. It is being designed by the architecture firm Bruner/Cott and Associates. The project still needs approvals from the Boston Redevelopment Authority, which has instituted zoning changes in recent years to encourage development in the area.

The Abbey Group previously developed the nearby Landmark Center, a 1 million-square -foot office and retail complex at Park Drive and Brookline Avenues. It sold the complex last year to developer Steve Samuels, who has also redeveloped several properties in the neighborhood.

A Fenway Comeback
October 17, 2011
By Sara Brown, Globe Correspondent

A new sign has gone up at El Pelon Taqueria. The owner of Thornton’s Fenway Grille has proudly posted shots of new tabletops on the restaurant’s Facebook page. And down at Rod Dee Thai Cuisine II, a fresh menu is visible through a glass door.

For Fenway residents, these tantalizing signs of life along “Restaurant Row’’ on Peterborough Street signal the end of a long wait for the return of beloved neighborhood hangouts that were destroyed in a devastating January 2009 fire.

Although no official opening dates have been announced, owners say they are very close, and excitement is building along the intimate nook set amid brick apartment buildings. For residents and fans of the restaurants, it will be a chance to rekindle a sense of community distinct from the crowds and lights of nearby Fenway Park.

Matty Stevenson, 28, who worked at Thornton’s in college and even took some shifts after he joined the professional workforce, started a post-fire memorial to Thornton’s on Facebook. He described the block as “a staple of the neighborhood.’’

“The day it opens, if it’s during the week, I’ll take the day off work to go,’’ said Stevenson, who now lives in Medford. “I’m not alone, either.’’ He’ll be ordering the chicken and broccoli.

Thornton’s, along with El Pelon Taqueria and Rod Dee Thai, are all on the verge of reopening, pending city permits, according to property owner Monty Gold. A fourth restaurant, Swish Shabu, a Japanese hot pot-style eatery, isn’t as far along as the others, he said.

Three other original “Row’’ restaurants - Sorento’s Italian Gourmet, Umi Japanese Restaurant, and Greek Isles Restaurant - will not return to their Fenway locations. A former dry cleaner also has no plans to reopen there.

Marty Thornton, the owner of Thornton’s and a 20-year resident of the Fenway, said the restaurant should reopen by early November with an updated menu. Otherwise, it will stick to its tried-and-true approach as a “neighborhood place, a local hangout,’’ he said.

When passersby ask whether their favorite dish is still on the menu, “I say ‘of course,’ ’’ Thornton said. “ ‘If it isn’t, just ask for it.’ ’’

Although John Fitzpatrick just moved to the neighborhood, he’s heard about the beloved restaurants. While his roommate loves Thornton’s, he’s excited about El Pelon, which drew a loyal following from far beyond Fenway and which opened up a new taqueria near Boston College after the fire.

“I’ve heard so much buzz about that one,’’ said Fitzpatrick, a 27-year-old native of Ireland. “I think that’s probably [the restaurant] people are most excited about.’’

Memories of the four-alarm blaze that left the block a charred wreck and caused $5 million in damage remain fresh here.

Stevenson recalled that he was supposed to work a Saturday shift at Thornton’s.

On the Monday before, it burned down. An electrical short circuit has been blamed for sparking the fire.

“Oh, my God. It was awful,’’ he said. “It was just so sad.’’

Some employees and fans of the restaurant gathered amid the ashes the next day. “A lot of people were kind of in shock,’’ Stevenson said.

More than 300 people joined the Facebook tribute page for Thornton’s, which carries the following description: “This place was more than just a bar. It was more than a job. It was your good friend and a place of many good times.’’

Others joined a Facebook group called “Friends of Peterborough St. Fenway Restaurants,’’ sharing their sadness.

Since then, residents have had a lot of time to wait, reminisce, and sometimes wonder about the fate of the restaurants. Many feared they would never reopen, even as new restaurants sprouted on nearby Boylston Street. Others worried the site would become a high-rise apartment building.

At a November 2010 community meeting, Gold announced his intention to rebuild the restaurants, apologizing for the delay.

“I’m sorry it took this length of time,’’ Gold said at the time, citing personal reasons. “It is what it is.’’

Now, he’s excited by the prospect of dropping by Thornton’s for a glass of wine. Despite the delays, he said: “We got it done, and we got it done correctly. That’s what we want; a good, safe building.’’

City Councilor Michael Ross, who represents the Fenway, said it has been a long haul to get to this point.

During the long delay, he said, he heard from residents, whom he said were engaged and “refused to sit back and let it languish.’’

“This is a very important resource for the community,’’ he said. “It’s a great place… . It created life and activity, it created a special and dynamic rhythm to that neighborhood.’’

Link

Riff -- watch the fouling again

lowest rates of home ownership in the city -- this a fraction hence it doesn't matter what BU does

the definition of home ownership rate = homes owned by resident/ total homes

neither BU dorm rooms nor hotel rooms are counted -- just appartments and condos

Now you can pull the trigger

Time for a grand tour!

Some of these locations have individual threads, but those threads can bite me.

Enjoy.

We begin where my Yawkey pictures left off. Site of a future street.

IMG_2889.jpg

Whats this? Oooooh
IMG_2891.jpg

A jail for bikes!

IMG_2892.jpg

IMG_2893.jpg

And a hubway station. Good location, but sort of hard to find. Hubway should find a way to illuminate their stations more. 2nd solar panel + LED logo light?

IMG_2894.jpg

IMG_2895.jpg

This building appears to be in the process of vacating. Will it be demolished!?

IMG_2896.jpg

IMG_2897.jpg

Much better hubway location
IMG_2898.jpg

Oh so urban, so pedestrian friendly.

IMG_2899.jpg

IMG_2900.jpg

Wait, what? I thought the last update we got was that this market had closed and the wrecking ball was imminent?

IMG_2901.jpg

IMG_2903.jpg

IMG_2904.jpg

Nom nom burger king
IMG_2902.jpg

IMG_2913.jpg

IMG_2905.jpg

I dont remember this thing at all. When did it open? Why wasnt there a thread? This forum is really lagging lately.

IMG_2906.jpg

No sale.
IMG_2907.jpg

IMG_2916.jpg

Restaurant row. Shame the building is the same old crap.
IMG_2908.jpg

IMG_2909.jpg

IMG_2910.jpg

Coming soon
IMG_2911.jpg

IMG_2912.jpg

Some new retail
IMG_2914.jpg

More bikes
IMG_2917.jpg

Old mcdonalds. Fancy parking structure doesnt exactly say "development ready to go"

IMG_2918.jpg

FIN

I dont remember this thing at all. When did it open? Why wasnt there a thread? This forum is really lagging lately.

IMG_2906.jpg
It did sort of just slip in, but I think the building was already there, just tweaked slightly to become an L.A. style burger joint (and a very good one at that). Check out the food next time you tour the area.

Where is the 'jail for bikes'? The MBTA has been building a few of these next to T stations.

Tasty Burger is awesome! I think the Boylston West project was approved ?last night?... that is where the market is i believe. It will house target on ?two floors? other ground floor retail, and apartments. Groundbreaking in the spring i believe.

Restaurant row. Shame the building is the same old crap.

Since when does this board consider long time independent neighborhood restaurants "crap"?

The neighborhood wanted their restaurants back ASAP and the only reason it took so long is interference from the city trying to get developer friends of the mayor in there. Marty Gold has some big brass balls for telling some very powerful people to go to Hell.

Since when does this board consider long time independent neighborhood restaurants "crap"?

Who said anything about the restaurants?

I said the one story building is crap.

Like the tasty burger place. Might be the best food in the world, but their building sure looks like crap.

The neighborhood wanted their restaurants back ASAP and the only reason it took so long is interference from the city trying to get developer friends of the mayor in there. Marty Gold has some big brass balls for telling some very powerful people to go to Hell.

What ever happened to the proposal to rebuild with a five story residential building above? Sounds like there was some interesting maneuvering behind the scenes. What's the story?

Come on.

He didn't say the RESTAURANTS were crap.

The noun he used was BUILDING.

And he's right.

What ever happened to the proposal to rebuild with a five story residential building above? Sounds like there was some interesting maneuvering behind the scenes. What's the story?

From my understanding, the residential was a Section 8 developer and the boutique hotel was someone politically connected. When Mr. Gold (a "simple guy that just wants to be a landlord not a developer"), the small restaurant owners (who were screwed out of years of business), and the neighborhood (which wasn't keen on another section 8 building when there's already a "problematic" one across the the street, or more year round traffic from a hotel when seasonal RedSox traffic is already a pain), kept protesting that they just wanted to rebuild the block back to what is was within a year, every bit of red tape imaginable was thrown at them by the city.

It's a small scale commercial building for a fairly small scale residential neighborhood. It interacts as well with the street as anything possible could, being that it's a continuous row of restaurants. I'm just fine with it.

It's a small scale commercial building for a fairly small scale residential neighborhood. It interacts as well with the street as anything possible could, being that it's a continuous row of restaurants. I'm just fine with it.

This is an interesting point. We all talk about street level engagement and pedestrian experience, and here is a building that does a fantastic job with that and absolutely nothing else. Is this enough, is it all that matters? Or do we really only give lip service, and prefer multi-level structures?

Back