Fenway Infill and Small Developments

Yeah but...do you need 30 of them? They're all the same, as your description attests. Can't you eat at the same one every night?

6-weeks-and-it's-gone trendsetters

These "cult of personality" restaurants usually don't last much longer.

All I want to know is, should I apply here for the part-time job I need to supplement my current income?

No. No I should not. This place will meet with it's first offseason and demise at the exact same time: Whatever date the 2010 Sox season ends.

"Charles Perkins of the Boston Restaurant Group, a restaurant broker, said Remy?s restaurant should attract fans during baseball season. But he wondered if people would be willing to fight the traffic in the off-season for a burger."

But ... outside of baseball season, there isn't any traffic to fight in this neighborhood.

Yeah but...do you need 30 of them? They're all the same, as your description attests. Can't you eat at the same one every night?

Bring it on... Doesn't it only mean more density in the long run?

Is Thornton's not enough for you people? (assuming it recovers from that fire incident) Not to mention the MULTIPLE grills that came along with Landmark Center and Trilogy. Moreover, I can't believe anybody here would actually want to support a hack like the Remdawg.

But ... outside of baseball season, there isn't any traffic to fight in this neighborhood.

Yeah seriously. If I planned on driving to the fenway area, id plan my trip on a day that there was no baseball.

Or id try one of those train things I heard about.

Moreover, I can't believe anybody here would actually want to support a hack like the Remdawg.

You had better be careful with those insinuations. I've got no interest in arguing over Jerry's impressive career and following (and the Globe article which painted him in a deep, complicated, and sympathetic way), but I think a large number of Bostonians (the Sox fans, anyway) have great regard for the guy.

On the point at hand: I love the Remy place at Terminal C. I sit there for at least 30 minutes whenever I fly out, watching sports on those TVs. I never eat much, though, so I can't comment on the food.

I think there's a groundswell of negative opinion for Remy in the last few years. I gotta say the act is becoming a bit old, his fault or not.

There's not traffic in that immediate area but I have to assume if your driving, your coming from a greater distance and then your taking storrow or the riverway or whatever... possibly at 6pm to go get dinner. There's traffic.

Are you serious, did you see the standing O that Remy got on his first appearance back in the booth, right or wrong, this guy is immensely popular.

On the point at hand: I love the Remy place at Terminal C. I sit there for at least 30 minutes whenever I fly out, watching sports on those TVs. I never eat much, though, so I can't comment on the food.

Agreed on everything. The last time I was there was an interesting one... I first learned about MJ's death through the news blaring on their TVs:

img2208ga.jpg

I too can't comment on the food since I usually opt for a liquid meal

img2210z.jpg

The decor is amusing

img2209.jpg

img2211p.jpg

I always love the elitist attitude of "Well, I won't go there.....so they shouldn't build it and we don't need it." :rolleyes:

Maybe the reason there are so many burger restaurants is because a lot of people DO like them and they're easy to run and keep in business?

Except there actually aren't that many, because they fail so often. That's what puzzles me about people continually investing in them. "Oh what if we slapped THIS guy's name on the same generic concept?" "Oh yeah, THAT will take off for sure. The last guy just wasn't a huge enough local microcelebrity!"

^ Maybe if the burgers were really good.

Shake Shack?

Shake Shack?

I love ShakeShack, but part of the appeal is the setting.

My lovely assistant and I visited for the first time in early January, and we walked from the Meatpacking District. The burgers rocked. Even though it was in the low 20s and bleak, it was still cool to stare up at the Flatiron Building through the bare trees. Over the summer, we visited again, walking down Park from Midtown. Madison Square Park in the summer is a terrific urban room. We lingered for over an hour.

Maybe the menu-planners working on Remy's place will find this. I'm gonna try it at home...

Really? I've always thought Madison Square was boring. I'd never go there before Shake Shack.

RossHeadshot10-09.JPG

Fenway News

We asked our local District 8 City Councilor to write a column for us, and the first one was published in the November issue of the paper. That one was slightly edited for space considerations (in fact we had to leave out the sentence that explained this was the first of his columns); this is the original.

Mike Ross's new monthly column
by Mike Ross

There are many reasons why Boston is a world-class city. It has a long, rich history of innovation, from the first public high school in the nation to America?s first subway. We have some of the world?s best colleges and hospitals in our own backyard. Boston is also home to some of the country?s oldest open spaces.

The Boston Common, America?s first park, and the Back Bay Fens are showing their age, and we need to bring them to their full potential. Currently, the City of Boston spends less on its parks and open spaces most other major American cities. We can do better than this, and must work to reclaim and improve our open spaces.

By bringing businesses, city leaders, and community groups together, we will revitalize our open spaces in an efficient and affordable way. We?re making great progress throughout Boston to bring new life to our open spaces.

One of the projects I?ve worked on for the past several years is improving the area of Boylston Street between Massachusetts Avenue and Hemenway Street. It took collaboration with all the stakeholders in that area?city officials, an ever-evolving group of business owners on that stretch of the street, and Berklee College?to get everyone on the same page. Last week, the community came together and finally celebrated the result of those years of work: The addition of a vibrant new plaza to the Fenway neighborhood.

This isn?t only an improvement to the infrastructure, which was sorely needed. These changes will bring new life to an area of the Fenway that was once ignored. As a result, new energy is coming to that part of the neighborhood.

Soon, residents and visitors will be able to buy a book at Berklee Books, grab a cup of coffee from Pavement Coffeehouse, and sit on the plaza to enjoy them. They will be able to return that same evening to enjoy a world-class dinner. We worked to create a space where musicians, such as Berklee students, can perform, bringing even more visitors to this section of Boylston Street. This will help businesses thrive as we start to recover from the recession and will ultimately make our community stronger.

The Fenway is experiencing dramatic change for the better. There?s the $90 million federal project that will restore the banks of the Muddy River. The city partnered with Emmanuel College to make the Roberto Clemente fields safer for students and residents, and the Museum of Fine Arts will soon open a renovated entrance.

Another area of the Fenway that we?re working to improve is the Back Bay Fens, specifically repairing and leasing the city-owned Duck House. The Duck House was designed by Frederick Law Olmstead, and has stood at the junction of East and West Fenway for over 100 years. It has been abandoned since a fire in 1986, making the area look and feel unsafe to those who want to use the park. I have been working closely with the Fenway Civic Association, Historic Boston, and Boston Parks and Recreation Department to bring a business or visitor?s center to this building. This will provide a destination for residents and tourists, attracting more people to the area. Imagine a place where people can rent bicycles and enjoy the beauty of this historic park. Perhaps a cafe will open there, providing a place where visitors can enjoy a snack after a day in the Fens.

On the other side of the district, we?re working to bring new life to the Boston Common. My colleagues Sal LaMattina, Bill Linehan, myself, and stakeholders around America?s oldest park continue to implement the findings of last year?s Special Committee on the Boston Common. I worked with the Parks Department and other officials to extend the lease on an abandoned men?s comfort station on the Common from three years to 10 years. Extending the lease encourages a business owner to invest significantly in the structure, which increases the odds of its success. The additional visitors brought to the Common will have a positive impact on the areas that surround the park, including Downtown Crossing and the Theater District.

I believe that small businesses, such as restaurants, have the power to drastically transform a neighborhood. When the Special Committee on the Boston Common went to New York, we saw parks that had been hives of drug activity transformed into vibrant public spaces in which people felt safe because of increased foot traffic. The Shake Shack in Bryant Park has hour-long lines for its famous hamburgers, and diners enjoy ample outdoor seating around the restaurant.

Boston is a world-class city with a long history of innovation. We must continue to provide open space that lives up to its potential. I?m pleased by the progress we?ve made in improving areas of the Fenway and the Boston Common. But we must continue to improve these areas so we will have these valuable public spaces for generations to come.

City Council President Mike Ross lives on Mission Hill.

They will be able to return that same evening to enjoy a world-class dinner.
I'm just wondering which of the two pizza joints, noodle place, hotdog eatery, and/or the (new) Subway that he considers to be "world class." Can't we just say "edible" and leave it there? Does everything have to be superlative?

Likewise with the stakeholder buy-in. T-Mobile and at least one other tenant along there refused to play along. The streetscape will be just as abstractly chopped up as it was previously for the foreseeable future.

Back