Ferdinand Building Renovation + Addition | Dudley Sq | Roxbury

Re: Dudley Sq's Ferdinand Building to be Restored/ Renovated

Rumor is reif on several channels today that the Mass DOT will be relocating to the Roxbury area [perhaps Tremont Crossing]...

We got that one going in two threads, Westie. DOT building thread, and Tremont Crossing thread.

Nonprofit wins bid to run Roxbury incubator

The city of Boston has selected a local nonprofit group to operate the Roxbury Innovation Center, a publicly funded business incubator set to open next year in Dudley Square.

The bid by the Venture Café Foundation , the nonprofit sister of the Cambridge Innovation Center, won in part because of the group’s experience and connections in the tech world. The foundation runs the “Innovation Visitors Bureau,” which organizes tours of local technology institutions, manages District Hall , a shared work and event space in the Innovation District, and organizes a long-running tech community meetup in Cambridge on Thursday nights.

“We’re looking forward to working with the community to create a space for experimentation and conversation that highlights all of the innovation and entrepreneurship happening locally, and connects to resources that make ideas and businesses grow faster,” the group’s executive director, Kevin Wiant, said in a statement.

The 3,000-square-foot Innovation Center will be located on the second floor of the Bruce C. Bolling Municipal Building. Formerly called the Ferdinand Building, it will also house the Boston School Department.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...ace-roxbury/iCq02ItYQiGVB90HhsMCiL/story.html

Profile of Francine Houben, the Dutch architect who designed the Ferdinand building.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyl...re-building/4VUDsZhYOl3ietVAMROPUJ/story.html

Houben said she felt strongly that the city should purchase and restore not only the Ferdinand building, but the Curtis and Waterman buildings next to it so that there would be no more holes in the ground between structures, and dismal angles, but rather a triangle of elegant facades connected by new construction. She felt the people waiting at the Dudley bus station across the street should be looking at something uplifting, not depressing. The restored facades are connected by dynamic, undulating waves of textured bricks that are staggered and turned at different angles, so that it looks — well, Dutch. The pattern of the new brick entryway in front of the old Ferdinand building also bears an uncanny resemblance to the brick on Oude Delft street, where Mecanoo is located.

This is the best building I've seen built in Boston in a few years: a real attention to craft, scale and materials while respecting the historic fabric. And very good to see in the investment this part of the city; Dudley Sq, hopefully, will again become a major focal point within the city.

I went by this at night last week.... the old ferdinand portion is lit up like a christmas tree and it looks beautiful. I don't see any updated night pics in the thread, if I think of it i will snap some photos next time.

Back