Fitchburg Line Extension

^

If they didn't want to deal with the traffic, they would have allowed the red line extension or would be lobbying for it.

I say we just build a brick wall across Rt 2 and Mass Ave.

Wasnt the red line extension for Belmont not for lexington and arlington?

Yes, but obviously the people who live there could drive to a train line. And of course they have the Minuteman Bikeway to connect them to Alewife in warmer months (and buses to get them there when it's cooler).

I believe Lexington is one of the communities that gets direct support from the state to run their own bus service? They have something similar to the more well known Brockton "BAT". But just at a way smaller scale.

It has only like 1 to 3 routes I thought? It's one of the MBTA's many smaller "partnering" providers. It wasn't a part of the T but as a municipal owned entity the MBTA is supposed to lend collaborative support to it whenever requested by officials in Lexington.

It used to be listed on the website of Lexington, but I don't know what it is named to fish for it...
Another partnering provider which serves some of Lexington is the Route 128 Business Council. They stop at certain businesses along Route 2 and Wyman Street in Watham.
IBM is one of the stops I believe. I've seen their name tossed around here I think. That shuttle runs from the back of the "Park and Ride" inside Alewife station and stops at partnering companies. This shuttle was a bit pricey if I recall correctly though.

Wasnt the red line extension for Belmont not for lexington and arlington?

No, it was for Arlington, then Lexington, along/under the Minuteman Bikeway. The tracks after Alewife even curve that way and lead to a small railyard that is actually located underground within Arlington.

It's a completely useless service. I have a family member that lives 1 block from where route 3 ends, and yet we've never seen a bus, and the stations arent marked at all (there are no stops, you flag it down)

One per hour and limited hours of the day makes it pointless.

I dont understand why it cant just be part of the MBTA system? MBTA.com links to them, but everyone would be better served with a unified system.

And BostonUrbEx, is there a list of proposed stops? It would have essentially been what the 77 bus is today?

MBTA Website

Patrick-Murray Administration, U.S. Transportation Secretary LaHood, Congressman Olver Kick off Wachusett Commuter Rail Extension Project
$55.5 Million Federal Stimulus Project Expands Public Transit, Creates Jobs

Start Date: 10/18/2010
Email: lrivera@mbta.co

FITCHBURG - Monday, October 18, 2010 - As part of the Patrick- Murray Administration's Massachusetts Recovery Plan to enhance economic development and create jobs by strengthening public transit and rail service, Lieutenant Governor Timothy P. Murray joined U.S. Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood and Congressman John Olver today to announce the groundbreaking for the $55.5 million Wachusett Commuter Rail Extension Project.

The project is funded by a federal stimulus Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery (TIGER) Grant. The work will extend the Fitchburg Commuter Rail Line by 4.5 miles to a brand new Wachusett commuter rail station. The project also includes track improvements to support freight and passenger rail and a new layover facility.

"Thanks to the Recovery Act, we're investing $55.5 million to extend commuter rail service and unlock economic opportunities for people across Massachusetts," said U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood. "This is great news for the region's economy and the thousands of Massachusetts commuters who will benefit from a faster, safer, more reliable, and more comfortable ride."

"Right now, trying to get into Boston from the north, west or south of Fitchburg is a challenge," said Congressman Olver. "Route 2 is gridlocked during prime commute times, and it can be difficult to find parking and to drive to some of the stations along the line. Once built, this station will be in a prime location for commuters to quickly get off Route 2 and onto a train within minutes. The hardest part of the workday shouldn't be getting to the office."

"We have leveraged the federal stimulus funds received through the strong advocacy of the Obama Administration, Secretary LaHood, and Congressman Olver, and along with our record state investments we are rebuilding roads and bridges and expanding public transit options for thousands of citizens across the Commonwealth," said Governor Deval Patrick.

"I wish to thank Secretary LaHood and Congressman Olver for their support as we make historic investments in freight and commuter rail in Fitchburg and across our state," said Lieutenant Governor Murray. "It is gratifying to see commuter rail service expanded for commuters in this area."

Ridership on the Fitchburg Commuter Rail Line between Boston and Fitchburg has grown steadily since 2004. Growing ridership and at capacity parking facilities have influenced the service extension. It is estimated that the facility will service over 400 new commuter rail passengers in 2012, and divert 824 vehicle trips from Route 2.

The Wachusett extension project will improve the region's economy by reducing the commute time from communities west of Fitchburg to the Boston area job market increasing the desirability of living in the region. Additional "reverse commute" options offer an opportunity for workers along the corridor to access employment centers in the region, including the 231 Industrial Park in Fitchburg.

"Expanding commuter rail and other transit options is a top priority of the Governor and Lieutenant Governor, and the enhancements on the busy Fitchburg Line is the latest example of taking action to make this goal a reality," said MassDOT Transportation Secretary and CEO Jeffrey Mullan.

"This project is a smart investment that will provide the region with more transportation options,? said MBTA General Manager Rich Davey. "In addition to enhancing service for existing customers, improvements to the Fitchburg Line will ultimately attract new riders that will find the service to meet their transportation needs.?

"I'm very excited that Secretary LaHood will be here to commemorate this very special occasion," said State Senator Jennifer Flanagan. "Improvement of the Commuter Rail line has been a top priority; the addition of the Wachusett Station comes at no better of a time, while we are in the midst of making upgrades east of Fitchburg. I can not thank Lieutenant Governor Murray and MART enough for their leadership and dedication to this project."

"This transportation infrastructure project will create a modern and cost efficient layover facility and is a major opportunity for economic growth for businesses in our industrial parks, said Representative Stephen L. DiNatale. "I believe the Wachusett Station will have a positive effect on the future of the Montachusetts region's economic and residential growth. In the long run this station will create and retain jobs, and improve transit between the region and the Boston job market."

MassDOT is the new, unified transportation organization created in 2009 under the historic reform legislation passed by the Legislature and signed into law by Governor Patrick. MassDOT's four divisions are focused on delivering safe and efficient transportation services across the Commonwealth.

For transportation news and updates, visit the MassDOT website at www.mass.gov/massdot, the MassDOT blog at www.mass.gov/blog/transportation or follow MassDOT on twitter at www.twitter.com/massdot.

More commuter rail expansion - just before election day? What. A. Surprise.

Meanwhile, rapid transit languishes.

This is not a new project, it has been in the works for a couple of years.

Now what really needs to happen to serve Boston where it's densest (the Back Bay does approach Parisian densities) is to convert the Green Line to heavy rail, or to double-up its route with a Blue Line extension under Beacon.

But to convert the Green Line to from light to heavy rail would require the following:

1. Money (Which is something that the T doesn't have)
2. Years of repairing the infrastructure on the B, C and D lines. Which if the Big Dig has taught us fools anything, it's that New Englanders can't HAVE nice things.
3. Protests. Believe it or not, there are many (Including Mayor Menino himself) who would argue that the Green Line Trolleys are "Part of what makes Boston, Boston." So there you have the quaint and historic value of it.

As far at the Fitchburg line is concerned, it will be an economic boost for Central Mass. Also, the travel time from W. Fitchburg to North Station will be cut down to 45 Minutes.

Last edited:
2. Years of repairing the infrastructure on the B, C and D lines. Which if the Big Dig has taught us fools anything, it's that New Englanders can't HAVE nice things.
3. Protests. Believe it or not, there are many (Including Mayor Menino himself) who would argue that the Green Line Trolleys are "Part of what makes Boston, Boston." So there you have the quaint and historic value of it.

2. Why the B and C lines? They can keep taking their trolleys. D line should be the one upgraded to heavy rail.

3. Then they can ride the B and C and especially the E where it actually runs in traffic. Or they can go see Mattapan for some real historic value.

I think the trollies (trolleys?) would be fine if not for the red lights. A train full of people should never need to stop for a car.

2. Why the B and C lines? They can keep taking their trolleys. D line should be the one upgraded to heavy rail.

3. Then they can ride the B and C and especially the E where it actually runs in traffic. Or they can go see Mattapan for some real historic value.
agreed...but again...I'm not sure that the T has the money to do those nice things for us!

I think the trollies (trolleys?) would be fine if not for the red lights. A train full of people should never need to stop for a car.

+1. Brookline actually offered to install Trolly priority street lights when they redid beacon street 1-2 years ago, but the T turned them down because they saw no benefit.

"MBTA spokesman Joe Pesaturo said the T will not invest in trolley-recognition technology until Brookline provides the MBTA with a study that demonstrates how the T stands to benefit from it."

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ar...s_smart_lights_but_t_isnt_along_for_the_ride/

shit like this that gives me no confidence in the T.

I guess providing better service for your customers dosn't qualify as a benefit. Yes, that is depressing.

+1. Brookline actually offered to install Trolly priority street lights when they redid beacon street 1-2 years ago, but the T turned them down because they saw no benefit.

"MBTA spokesman Joe Pesaturo said the T will not invest in trolley-recognition technology until Brookline provides the MBTA with a study that demonstrates how the T stands to benefit from it."

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ar...s_smart_lights_but_t_isnt_along_for_the_ride/

shit like this that gives me no confidence in the T.

What the ****. That's all I have to say.

Now what really needs to happen to serve Boston where it's densest (the Back Bay does approach Parisian densities) is to convert the Green Line to heavy rail, or to double-up its route with a Blue Line extension under Beacon.

But you already have separate grades past Kenmore. So what are you advocating, longer trains (and platforms)?

I would think just widen the tunnel under boylston street and the blue line can travel all the way to riverside. The blue line trains are built to travel on converted light rail(small size for the tight turns). They even have overhead power. Other than expanding the tunnels you would need high platforms. It couldn't be that big of a project. It would also make the blue line a hell of a lot more useful.

I would think just widen the tunnel under boylston street and the blue line can travel all the way to riverside. The blue line trains are built to travel on converted light rail(small size for the tight turns). They even have overhead power. Other than expanding the tunnels you would need high platforms. It couldn't be that big of a project. It would also make the blue line a hell of a lot more useful.

I hate to say this, but the greenline extension up to Sommerville is not approaching 1 Billion on tracks that already exists. I have no idea why it would cost so much, but it is and a plan to raise platforms and stairs to hold blue line trains would be enormous. Not that I don't like the idea, green line does need to be upgraded to heavy rail, but it won't be easy.

Back