Fixing the Greenway?What it should have been

Jackson

Reaction score
Note: This post is long. Quite long.

Ever since the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway was completed, we have all seen its struggles to achieve the lofty expectations and the high status that we all expected of it. It had the potential to be a gem in this city. As I have said an numerous occasions to friends and family, the Greenway settled for 'good' when it could have been exceptional.

It was supposed to mend an urban fabric that had been badly scarred by the Central Artery that cut through the downtown area. It should have mended communities and served as a connection between the North and South Stations, two major transportation hubs serving the city. The fact that this was not considered as a part of this plan was frustrating, as, from an infrastructure standpoint, connecting these two hubs should be towards the top of the list.

However, not only does it fail in those regards, but it also fails at being a place where locals and tourists alike can feel free to roam and stroll, relax, and be entertained. The sea of cars and six lanes of road that surround it at all hours deter people from venturing on to its lawns and into its gardens. At this point, the Greenway is nice to look at, but not much else.

So, what can be done to fix it?

I have mulled over many ideas over what could improve the Greenway. If I could play God and had all the money in the world, this is the plan that I would try to implement. Before I continue, keep in mind that I am not an urban planning major of any kind, these are just my spare thoughts that, as a person walking the streets of Boston, I feel would make the Greenway more hospitable to everyone.

There are several ideas and proposals I have in this post, but they do not include any of the following:

1. Monuments: Do not confuse this with art sculptures, which I think would be a nice addition to the Greenway. In my view, expansive monuments (like the Armenian Monument) shouldn't be placed on the Greenway. It disrupts the flow, and doesn't maximize the space in the most efficient manner to benefit everyone.
  2. Six Lanes of Traffic: This is the primary issue with the parks now. Too much traffic, and it causes pedestrians to venture away from the parks rather than towards it.
  3. Open Swaths of Lawn: I like my empty, open space to relax in. However, this can be accomplished without wasting wide spaces of valuable real estate in the downtown city core. There are more effective ways to give people places to sit down and relax.

My plan would certainly cost millions upon millions of dollars to implement and complete. In reality, the only way this could efficiently be implemented would be if this was in the original design of the Greenway. In all likelihood, some of this stuff would be too disruptive and costly to install now.

But nevertheless, I present my eight ideas that I think would have greatly improved the Greenway. I hope you comment on my ideas. I also hope that this post can help serve to promote discussion regarding about ways we can maximize the Greenway as we have it now to best serve the citizens of Boston and those who visit it.

Below is a map of the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway Parks in their entirety. When I reference a park I'll use a number. Number one would be at the top in the North End parks next to Haymarket station. Number 11 is down near Dewey Square where the ventilation shaft is.

Rose-Fitzgerald-Kennedy-Greenway-Map.mediumthumb.gif

Proposal 1: Trolley Transportation

This first proposal would connect North and South Stations, as well as inject a little life in the Greenway. I would propose street cars that run along the outside of the Greenway running from North to South Stations. There would be one track going in each direction on each side. I would remove one lane from each side of Atlantic Avenue, reducing the total number of lanes to four. This could also help slow down traffic around the Greenway.

In terms of execution, I would create a strip of green/sidewalks where the third lane used to be and then build the tracks further inside the park. If you need a visual, look at this:

barcelonagrass.jpg

Now, this isn't exactly the same as I would imagine. Imagine the road still being on the left as it is, that would remain pretty much the same. What would change is the grass on the tracks would be something closer to brick so that people can cross over the tracks, and then to the right would be a brick walkway and the rest of the Greenway parks. Inverse everything for the track going in the opposite direction and you essentially have my vision for the trolley.

I would propose stops at South Station, Rowes Wharf, Columbus Park/North End, and North Station. This proposal would connect the North and South stations on the surface, provide some circulation throughout the Greenway from start end-to-end, and would reduce walking times. It would also bring passengers between North and South stations through the Greenway with easy access on and off.

This, unfortunately, is an example of a proposal that will most likely never come to fruition. From here on out though, most of the proposals could be accomplished with a little resourcefulness and some creative thinking.

Proposal 2: Bridges/Connections over Highway Ramps

Besides Atlantic Ave., one of the biggest obstructions to the overall fluidity of the Greenway are the large on and off ramps from I-93 below. It wastes space on the Greenway, and only serves to further chop an already disjointed string of parks.

A solution would be to create a network of walking bridges over these ramps to connect the parks. Example: Imagine a chain of gradually sloped walking bridges that connected Park #2 in the North End with Park #4 next to Christopher Columbus Park and Quincy Market. It wouldn't just have to be a boring bridge, it could have some artistic flair to it as well.

What about something like this, only on a smaller scale and that runs over off ramps instead of water?

1160164929_aa0fda6fdf_o.jpg

Not implying that is the bridge for this situation, but it's more of a conceptual idea that could get people from Point A to Point B. Light the bridge up at night and it could be a very attractive centerpiece to the upper portion of the Greenway. The advantages that a pedestrian bridge would be many, mostly that it would connect the Greenway and wouldn't require park goers to cross the street three times to get from park to park.

Proposal 3: One Park Dedicated to Open Gardens:

While gardens should not dominate the Greenway, there is a place for them. I would propose dedicating one of the parcels to an outdoor garden featuring a wide array of plants and an interactive water feature as well as a prominent art feature.

Something like this would be in line with my vision, except on a smaller scale:

fountain-at-city-garden.jpg

I would propose placing this open garden in the Dewey Square section of the Greenway, on the second to last parcel, or Parcel #10 on my counting system. The reason I would choose this parcel would be so that it is close to Parcel #9 where I would place...

Proposal 4: Garden Under Glass

From what I can tell, this is one feature that most everyone agrees should be on the Greenway. For this reason, I won't spend much time on the merits of this addition.

However, I will say that with two parcels dedicated to gardens such as these, it would provide a nice serene section of the Greenway, which I think has its place. Keeping them together would make them continuous and fluid, as one could go from a tropical garden right out in to an outdoor garden, or vice versa.

I would propose that these two gardens really be something special, that they be parcels that are not only nice to look at (which is what we have now), but also are inviting and offer interaction with the visitors to the Greenway (which is what we don't have).

Proposal 5: Keep the Carousel

One aspect of the Greenway that has been very popular has been the carousel that has been set up on a temporary basis. This is an attraction that I believe appeals to many people and should stay.

However, I think it would do the attraction some good to make it look more permanent. This can be accomplished by giving it a decorative shelter, rather than plopping it one the sidewalk carnival style. I would propose placing it on Parcel #2 up near the North End in the open expanse of lawn that's presently there.

It could be an excellent attraction for the Greenway, one that would draw visitors, as it already does.

Proposal 6: Kiosks on Every Parcel

These don't have to be big, just walk up stands that sell coffee, newspapers, snacks, etc. Put park benches around the immediate area, and it can instantly inject a bit of activity in to the Greenway.

People from the surrounding areas could step outside to grab a quick bite or a cup of coffee, and they could then enjoy it on the Greenway, instantly boosting the activity on it.

Half of the Greenway's problems stems from the fact that there aren't enough people on it to give it life. As of right now, unless they're going to the carousel or the fountain, they have no reason to go to the Greenway. This would be a step in the right direction.

Proposal 7: Information/Bathroom/Cafe Spot

One on each end of the park chain, located in Dewey Square and one in the North End. Just a small building maybe with a small information rack about the attractions on the Greenway and in the surrounding area and bathrooms. A cafe/coffee shop wouldn't be necessary based on my proposal to put small kiosks/push carts on each parcel, but it's certainly an option.

Right now, there is no need for such an amenity on the Greenway. However, if it was bustling with activity, and there were constant street performers and activities going on, then there would be some justification for it. Throw in some info about other areas of the city, and it could make a great starting point for people looking to see that area of the city.

Proposal 8: A Main Hub for Entertainment/Dining/Gathering

Along with the tramway, this is not likely to happen. It's an idea to build out the Greenway a bit, to offer visitors a central area to eat, gather, be entertained, etc. They could then branch off into other areas of the Greenway or the surrounding areas of the city.

Since I can't draw/create renderings, I'll have to provide the best description that I can.

For starters, I would place them on the two parcels across the street from Rowes Wharf, a relatively central location on the Greenway. Each parcel would have one building. They would not take up the entire parcels, but rather just parts of them. They won't be huge buildings, just big enough to be noticeable.

As for the design, I propose one to be four stories, and the other to five stories to offer a little bit of a stagger. I envision them being built mainly of glass and accented with wood and steel. They wouldn't be your standard box, rather I would like to see them built in a curvy wavy fashion to symbolize the water that is all around the city of Boston. At the top, I wouldn't simply leave flat, but rather making it decorative, once again hopefully reflecting the water aspect of the city.

Maybe something like this, except shorter:

4670457108_b4890e24ea.jpg

Now, for its uses.

Definitely mixed-use. On the first floor in both buildings, I would make it completely retail oriented. Small shops, coffee shops, a cafe, and the entrance to a small museum (more on that later). The important aspect here would be the cafe that would serve lunch and light dinners (ideally). There would be outdoor seating on the Greenway (not on the sidewalk), and there would be a small stage. Hopefully small, local musical acts and entertainment could perform, and the stage would be set up so that not only could people sit and eat while watching but also people could come and sit on the Greenway. I would encourage all vendors on the first floor to have some sort of display set up outside, and any coffee shops to have outdoor seating so as to interact with people walking by.

On the second floor, there would be offices and a full-service, high end restaurant. The restaurant could have an entrance on the first floor. This would be different than the cafe on the first floor in the sense that it would serve relatively upscale, full service dinner. There would be an outdoor patio would be made of wood, like the deck of a ship. It would be an overhang, preferably wrapping around the outside of the building. In the other building would be the office space. Ideally, by providing a small amount of office space, there are people actually working on the Greenway, immediately injecting life into the Greenway by hopefully having a presence of people there all day. There would be no parking in the building or on the Greenway, hopefully encouraging the use of the trolley and other public transportation.

Third floor in both buildings would be more office space.

Now we return to the aforementioned museum on the fourth floor of both buildings. It would be about the history of the city. With an entrance on the first floor, in building one, there could be a high speed elevator up to the fourth floor. Ideally, the museum would be laid out in a timeline. There would be a skybridge connecting the fourth floor of both building spanning the road the cuts the parcels in half and runs in between the two buildings. It would be similar in appearance to the building itself, made of glass with steel accents that was formed in a wavy pattern like the other buildings itself. The museum would then conclude in building two and another elevator would bring the guests straight down to ground level once again.

In the fifth floor of the taller building, I would envision something closer to adult themed entertainment. Not like that, but rather a bar with a stage for comedy acts, musical performances, etc. that would be geared towards a more mature audience. Probably an 18+ deal or something like that. It could be open as late as the city allows.

The two buildings would act as the center hub of the Greenway, where, after enjoying a meal or a performance, the patrons could then spread out in to other areas of the city.

Well, there you have it. Sorry it's so long, but I have a lot of ideas about how to make the Greenway more usable and a more attractive destination.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on the matter, as I am open to suggestions and would love to discuss them, as well as any other ideas, with all of you.

Thanks for reading!

^^^ Good ideas. ( But I think we should build a deck over the 6 lanes of traffic!)

I love it. Think Daniel Libeskinds museum and the Boston Museum designed by Moishe Safdie would work well into your plan, if they were revived?

^^^ Good ideas. ( But I think we should build a deck over the 6 lanes of traffic!)

I'd love to totally get rid of the heavy Atlantic Avenue traffic and turn that whole alleyway from North to South Station into an awesome pedestrian mall with all kinds of attractions, buildings, shops etc. Too logistically tough though. It could certainly be Big Dig round 2 in 50 years though.

I love it. Think Daniel Libeskinds museum and the Boston Museum designed by Moishe Safdie would work well into your plan, if they were revived?

The museum part of the building in Proposal 8 I was talking about was actually based off of the Boston Museum concept. It would be great in my opinion to have something like that on the Greenway. Behind the Garden Under Glass concept, that's probably the idea I liked the best.

You could get rid of half the traffic immediately by simply closing one of the two parallel roadways and making the other one two-way. The city should experiment with this for a few weeks in warm weather.

So the software graphic whores at SHIFTBOSTON and the BSA gave out awards to local students for utter garbage and fantasy, when this random guy on a web forum creates a single post proposal which represents a far superior body of work. Will someone give Jackson some publicity and a certificate suitable for framing already?

You could get rid of half the traffic immediately by simply closing one of the two parallel roadways and making the other one two-way. The city should experiment with this for a few weeks in warm weather.

That would be great. Another great idea would be to shift the whole road into the center and then have parks run along the outside. The below is a proposal for Seattle's waterfront:

Alaskan-Way-Viaduct-Plan.jpg

The plan is to knock down a major above ground highway, just like Big Dig. However, their plan is to run a mere four lanes of traffic down the middle with parks on the outside. The pink areas are not simply brick plazas, but rather they used the color to designate areas for future activity and pedestrian oriented development. The article for the whole project is here: Field Operations Storms Seattle Waterfront

If we had this, I'd also run a tram down the center, heavily landscaped. But that would require a whole second Big Dig to accomplish, which I'm sure nobody wants to endure, so I left it out of the proposal.

So the software graphic whores at SHIFTBOSTON and the BSA gave out awards to local students for utter garbage and fantasy, when this random guy on a web forum creates a single post proposal which represents a far superior body of work. Will someone give Jackson some publicity and a certificate suitable for framing already?

Thanks for the praise Lurker. I've never seen anything from SHIFTBOSTON, but, based on a lot of the proposals this city gets and seems to implement, they'll be average.

Unfortunately, that's the way it goes in this city.

Love it, Jackson. Some scattered thoughts:

- Greenway tram: yes. Some people on this forum have called this idea a tourist attraction gimmick, but I disagree. It can be extended in both directions, north to Navy Yard or further, and South into the Silver Line tunnel and beyond towards residential Southia (although I think a Green Line branch from Boylston Street to South Station could fulfill this role as well and perhaps more usefully)

- Not sure about the bridges. I think most of the ramps are unnecesary to begin with, and the bridges emphasize the chasms rather than uniting the parts.

- Kiosks on every parcel idea should be implemented immediately. There should be temporary enclosures for seating in winter.

Thanks for the post!

Love it, Jackson. Some scattered thoughts:

- Greenway tram: yes. Some people on this forum have called this idea a tourist attraction gimmick, but I disagree. It can be extended in both directions, north to Navy Yard or further, and South into the Silver Line tunnel and beyond towards residential Southia (although I think a Green Line branch from Boylston Street to South Station could fulfill this role as well and perhaps more usefully)

- Not sure about the bridges. I think most of the ramps are unnecesary to begin with, and the bridges emphasize the chasms rather than uniting the parts.

- Kiosks on every parcel idea should be implemented immediately. There should be temporary enclosures for seating in winter.

Thanks for the post!

Thanks Shepard. I too think the addition of a tram/trolley line is almost necessary. Along with the lack of a direct connection between the Blue and Red lines, I think that the lack of a "North-South Station Connector" or something like that is a very pressing need for this city's infrastructure.

As far as the bridges go, if there are other ways of better uniting the parcels, then I would be all for it. And I agree that the ramps are totally unnecessary...unfortunately we're stuck with them. Just out of curiosity, what would you propose (besides totally obliterating the ramps, which we'd all certainly love to do)?

Just looking at the potential for this area, I would've loved to have just twenty minutes at the drawing board with architects/designers. There are so many components they just totally missed on.

Why NOT obliterate most of the ramps? There's no need for that many exits at such short intervals in the midst of downtown Boston. One at either end of the tunnel would do.

This and narrowing the streets on either side of the Greenway are by far the easiest and most substantial solutions to its problems.

Why NOT obliterate most of the ramps? There's no need for that many exits at such short intervals in the midst of downtown Boston. One at either end of the tunnel would do.

This and narrowing the streets on either side of the Greenway are by far the easiest and most substantial solutions to its problems.

Oh I'd LOVE to obliterate the ramps. I'm just banking on the fact that it's never going to happen. Although I suppose, if I was playing God, I could take care of that.

And I completely agree with you, getting rid of the ramps and narrowing Atlantic Ave. would deal with half the problems of the Greenway just like that.

If we're working off the Sim City premise (unlimited funds and omnipotence), why not just scrap the unnecessary suburban lawn that is the Greenway -- or has it now been renamed the Grand Backyard of the Waterfront District? -- and rebuild the streetgrid and neighborhood that were once there?

To really re-connect the neighborhoods, and address the overabundance of parks in the area (and the underabundance of places where people actually live and work), we'd do better to build on the Greenway. We don't even need a Libeskind to do this; we need merely look at photographs -- for a sense of what this would look like, check out Ablarc's fantastic post on "Medieval Boston":

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10814

Following that model, we would even have the a rail line connecting North Station and South Station. Of course, an elevated rail line may remind people of the Central Artery -- though that may not be such a bad thing after all.

I finally read this thread and it all sounds very exciting.

Two things:

I think the Parkway north is more like 2 lanes for most of it whereas the south-bound traffic is definitely three lanes. Going north the right lane is sometimes used for parking and the whole route seems less congested. Going south, however, especially during rush hour, seems to be the route/root of the problem.

Oh, I remember #2: What would happen to the traffic that uses the Parkway during morning and afternoon rush hours? Don't they need onramps (night) and offramps (morning)? You can say, "Just don't worry about it" but they were obviously built for some reason. The problem with the Central Artery seemed to be there were too many of these, causing traffic congestion on the Surface Road and on the Artery, above.

Going south at night, the two options for drivers seem to be entering near Government Center and the North End or staying on the Parkway and entering near South Station or below that at Kneeland Street. I assume people take the Surface Road because it moves faster (hah!) than in the submerged tunnel.

Going north, I think there is less of a problem because people get off using the exit nearest to their office and then move off the Parkway, quickly. Know what I mean?

A small restaurant at Dewey Square might be just the thing for that block. Or, perhaps, a mosque?

I think the major problem is the traffic and the length of the park with lack of transport. Many thought it was a waste of space, I think parks this day and age are needed.The road in the middle makes perfect sense, but the park is already done and is very nice indeed. I have walked from South Station to North Station.

I think more vendors/activities should be on the green way. Maybe like booths and carts together. Maybe huts that sell stuff.

I love the idea of a trolley, something small, really small. Like the shuttles in amusement park size. Long and narrow that may travel along the edge or something, maybe even a raised monorail or something would be expensive but cool. It could be boarded at South station inside on a second floor and just go over everything up until North Station.

Bridges or even better, under the road walkways would be awesome. You go down (similar to a subway in Boston) on one side, then come up in the middle of the green way. But I think bridges would be more welcoming over underground walkways to pedestrians. I don't know why, just if I was walking I would feel that way. Probably because one would feel they actually need to go inside a walkway to get to the green way vs. just cross st while a bridge is right there in view.

Overall I think the green way is very nice and they did a good job, but additional transportation and easier traffic free way to get onto the park would be nice. As well as vendors of some sort to attract more people.

If we're working off the Sim City premise (unlimited funds and omnipotence), why not just scrap the unnecessary suburban lawn that is the Greenway -- or has it now been renamed the Grand Backyard of the Waterfront District? -- and rebuild the streetgrid and neighborhood that were once there?

To really re-connect the neighborhoods, and address the overabundance of parks in the area (and the underabundance of places where people actually live and work), we'd do better to build on the Greenway. We don't even need a Libeskind to do this; we need merely look at photographs -- for a sense of what this would look like, check out Ablarc's fantastic post on "Medieval Boston":

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10814

Following that model, we would even have the a rail line connecting North Station and South Station. Of course, an elevated rail line may remind people of the Central Artery -- though that may not be such a bad thing after all.

Haha, Sim City. Like it, but must disagree with the whole scrap it all. I like the green way. I am one all for development, but I love parks and natural space. Balance and moderation. We can not develop everything.

I think of the park as a reminder of the shit that use to be standing there, the large structure that was ugly and shaded the city. It shows how Boston and society has decided to tear that down and build something better, an underground tunnel and a nice park to enjoy. I think the park in no way separates two sides. It is an actual defined separation, but it is more welcoming than the overpass and aside form traffic, I think it attracts people.

Sorry about two posts.

Bridges onto the Greenway? So now the surface roads are Storrow Drive?

I'll grant you that as a road it's fairly useful, but cutting off the Esplanade from the city was a tragedy. Footbridges to the Esplanade mean that people need to go out of their way to use the park, rather than it being an integrated part of Back Bay and Beacon Hill. Imagine if, instead of Storrow, we had a riverfront boulevard with shops, restaurants, etc that blocked the view of the ugly backs of brownstones?

Even if you like Storrow Drive, what's the point of having a "Storrow Drive" along the downtown waterfront ABOVE a submerged highway that plies the same route? It doesn't make sense. It's the primary reason why the wide auto-oriented surface roads are absurd.

Which is why I think implicating better public transportation routes throughout not only the city but NE in general will assist.

And I do agree with you about Storrow dr. This is why pedestrian friendly roads are more attractive now, but they are a thing of the past and are now being looked at strongly again, but it costs money to develop and a bridge is cheaper for short term.

To be honest I didn't even know there was an underground rd there under storrow dr. I have never been on it. I always use storrow. Maybe the city really should rethink of creating a better suited rd. above ground. One that is less of a "highway" next to a park and a place where there is good potential for a nicer part of the city. Now you think the housing there is not sightly?

I think it is fine.

Sorry, I was referring to the newly annointed "Storrow Drive"-like road of the Greenway, under which there is of course the underground artery. Except for a short tunnel by Arlington Street, a few underpasses, and some elevated areas by Charlesgate, Storrow Drive is primarliy a surface road.

So, my point was why annoint a new "storrow drive"-like road around the Greenway when we have the highway underneath. (Also, bridges are probably not cheaper than slowing traffic and removing lanes.)

Last edited:

Back