Flats on D | 411 D Street | South Boston

Re: Apartment project planned for 411 D Street - Seaport

Such a desolate area for apartments.

It's so desolate that I'd bet you could engage in a variety of illegal activity in broad daylight without fear of being noticed.

Hoping this development, the hotels and the activity at D and First/Second Streets flip this otherwise worthless stretch of street on its head.

Someone has to be the trailblazer for it to get developed at all. Hopefully this sparks something.

No, no! They're putting the finishing touches on a large, windowless self-storage building nearby. BRA planning at it's best:
Approve a giant self-storage facility next door to the new space the State took by eminent domain for a large convention hotel. Then approve a giant above ground garage for more than half the land area of the hotel site. Simultaneously approve apartments next door to the garage.
I don't think the BRA understands what planners mean when they talk about mixing uses...

Skinner: Er, um, we need a name that's witty at first, but that seems
less funny each time you hear it.
Apu: How about, "The Be Sharps?"
[Everyone laughs loud at first, then less, then the laughter
tapers off]
Skinner: Perfect!

Flats eh? Well welcome to merry old (New) England. Pip pip and all that.

10430339023_9e3e05e58c_b.jpg

Why not call it D flat? Appeal to those music types. And then that whole tagline on the left, "Designed for the human scale" could be a whole musical reference too. Also, what the heck does "Designed for the human scale" even mean? "No, I want an apartment that is designed for my cat! Cat scale! Cat scale!"

Derek Zoolander: What is this? A center for ants? How can we be expected to teach children to learn how to read… if they can’t even fit inside the building?
Mugatu: Derek, this is just a small…
Derek Zoolander: I don’t wanna hear your excuses! The building has to be at least… three times bigger than this!

3-zoo.jpg

http://ahelicoptermom.com/funny-movie-quotes-zoolander

any retail going in too?

Also, what the heck does "Designed for the human scale" even mean? "No, I want an apartment that is designed for my cat! Cat scale! Cat scale!"

Things can be designed for many different scales, some things in the built environment are designed at the scale of a car, a car at 30mph, a car moving 65mph. Some things are built to be seen as part of the scale of the city (Hancock Tower), or the scale of the neighborhood (314 Rear), or of the street (every building on Newbury ... kinda).

The people advertising this place are probably trying to distinguish themselves from the Mac-Mansion scale at best. At worst its a euphemism for small.

Great design are crafted to work at multiple scales to avoid "pixalation" as you experience the building from the view of the city,neighborhood,street,front door, and living room.

cca

I'm a bit worried at the pace of the Seaport / Innovation District:

10 years ago we were wondering when anything would happen after the Drew=Fidelity Seaport Hotel & Office Buildings

5 years ago there were lots of plans and it looked as if the build-out would take decades

Now it looks as if the whole place [except for some fringes] will be done Kendall Square / Cambridge Center style in less than 10 years

Hoping that some will be left to have the style soften and evolve a bit

Nice to see this coming along! No doubt this is a desolate stretch, but it'd be great to see some nice infill in the surroundnig area. I know Southie's already doing its best to stretch up in that direction.

Back