Flats on D | 411 D Street | South Boston

It's nice that these buildings are aligned with the street. But let's not pretend there's any new urbanism here. Behind them the buildings are still swimming in a sea of parking.

KGn91ve.jpg

There's even another parking lot behind these that I couldn't get in the frame. I grant you these lots may be developed someday. But how will they interact with these buildings.

Unless they extend Cypher St north, the block is good wide to have a decent urban block on the east side. It will be interesting to see if D St ever develops.

The area is a little too isolated. With Summer St, Pike, and hotels blocking off the north, likely USPS or nothing to the east, and BCEC to the west, the only direction a neighborhood can develop is from the south. Which would be great but it will take quite a while.

0UxGfE0.jpg

^ Look at it on satellite. The first parking lot (with the landscaped buffer along Fargo Street) is an old rail yard, with it's lead stretching down to Cypher Street. They currently have it striped for parallel parking. Looking at the assessing maps, it looks like it's actually split into two parcels, both owned by Shorenstein, the same group who owns 70 Fargo St (Seaport Center). Their portfolio also includes Center Plaza at Government Center and 399 Boylston St.

If that mid-block parcel gets redeveloped, I would imagine the lead would be turned into a street, splitting the D-E block in half. Since the parking lots on either side of the north end of E Street are owned by the US Government, I don't see them being redeveloped anytime soon. The issue is Shorenstien is an investment and management group, it doesn't look like they do much if any development; so who knows if the lot's going to go anywhere soon (the self-storage building that just went up on the south side of that property blocking an extension of Cypher Street doesn't bode well...). But, as investors, they might flip it if the price is right.

Rambling aside, you can't really hate on Cresset Development for the sea of parking behind them. They don't own it, and neither Shorenstien nor the USofA seem to be interested in doing something with it. They did the best they could.

Heh, car nuts would be ripping you apart for confusing a Toyota for a Dodge.

Ha, ha. I looked as closely as I could at 1:28 a.m. and thought they were the same. I bet the same guy, he just upgraded/downgraded by 2011.

$2,962 because of 1-month free rent amortized over 12 months. We have a one-bedroom plus den, ~800-square feet, 6th floor.

The entire street has Victorian acorn lights. I don't understand why this project changed those out for the rectilinear ones?

the back of this is awful those parking lots will not last forever.

Received our rent renewal notice. Same monthly rent as last year ... but of course, that's without the one-month's free rent we got last August.

We're unlikely to move because the rent is a little less than many the other new buildings (and a lot less than a couple of them!). $3,000 per month for a one-bedroom plus den on sixth floor.

I believe occupancy here is lower than in the other new buildings (not including Troy or AVA because they're too new) so perhaps we can still wrangle our way into getting a deal. (I am the greatest real estate broker in the world, after all.)

I mean, who wouldn't want to live across the street from a 3,000-person occupancy concert hall.

Received our rent renewal notice. Same monthly rent as last year ... but of course, that's without the one-month's free rent we got last August.

We're unlikely to move because the rent is a little less than many the other new buildings (and a lot less than a couple of them!). $3,000 per month for a one-bedroom plus den on sixth floor.

I believe occupancy here is lower than in the other new buildings (not including Troy or AVA because they're too new) so perhaps we can still wrangle our way into getting a deal. (I am the greatest real estate broker in the world, after all.)

I mean, who wouldn't want to live across the street from a 3,000-person occupancy concert hall.

I'm surprised Flats are still at the occupancy rate they are, one of the more affordable buildings in that area. Not surprising to hear they aren't raising rents, that would be a ballsy move by them. We're getting 100 Pier 4 listings weekly and that place looks like it has barely rented anything. Feel like if a developer takes a misstep down in Seaport they could pay for it big time.

Back