Food Court Closure | Cambridge Center | Kendall Square

ceo

Reaction score
The Kendall Square food court closed last year, and signs said it was undergoing a major renovation and would reopen in the spring. Here we are well into fall, and it appears they've done nothing other than remove the tables and chairs. Anyone know what's going on there?

The Kendall Square food court closed last year, and signs said it was undergoing a major renovation and would reopen in the spring. Here we are well into fall, and it appears they've done nothing other than remove the tables and chairs. Anyone know what's going on there?

To be honest .. I think they are trying to drive the lunch crowd to their new tenants, Clover, Bailey and Sage, Meadhall, Area 4, Catalyst, Champions. I guess that it will be a very long time off before we see that food court again.

cca

Based on all the reworking that Boston Properties has been doing around the former Cambridge Center, I would guess that it will never return.

325 Main (ex-3CC) is slated for a lobby refresh to fit with the one at 355 (ex-5CC). They might take the opportunity to rework the retail in all of 325. Perhaps shift the Coop into some of the former food court space and open a second or third street-facing retail space in some of the Coop's current footprint.

This made me start looking, and what I found answered a lot of questions for me.
I did not realize there was a cap on "fast food" in the Kendall Square MXD district (whatever that is), in that "fast food" establishments are limited to 3. By the loose definition in the area of "fast food" those 3 licenses are Chipotle, Starbucks, and Clover.

The article is full of so much opinion that I can't agree with, but won't get into. People seem to think that 15 fast food joints will cause the sky to fall and kill off all the local brands. I tend to disagree based on the number of people in the area who local, healthy, organic, etc. are all very important to. I'm not sure that I can support the 'residents' who oppose this, as there are not enough of them yet to make that call. That's not being a dick, but it's reminding them that all the mid to high end restaurants in the area are only there because of the incredible amount of businesses and workers in the area. Those workers in the area include many middle and upper class folks, or health conscious people who patronize the existing restaurant stock.

My argument is always to have more equal options. I don't love fast food by any means, but I will eat it once or twice a week, and I feel many others are in the same boat. Many of us have a desire for a 6-8 dollar lunch option in lieu of 10-13 dollar lunches. There is enough to go around in this growing district.

The sheer amount of people that will be added to the area over the next decade will dictate the need for many more food options, and with new residential units hopefully, all those new options can't be 9-5'ers.

The definition of allowable fast food joints also is significantly lacking. No offense to Clover, but a place that is serving a specific portion of the population as a vegetarian food provider, should not take a 'fast food' option for an area. Additionally, classifying Starbucks (all of my hatred for this company aside) as a 'fast food' joint is ridiculous. It's a coffee shop, that has some pastry options.

While I'd love a few more actual pizza/sub type places, or some other neighborhood style options, I know I'll either be disappointed or have to wait for some that aren't gimmicky to show up. But, a BK, Taco Bell, or what have you is not going to kill the area. Particularly when there is no real classic neighborhood to destroy. The arguments made seem to be closer to the ones you'd hear from the North End, where there is a classic neighborhood that has some merit to it's arguments to keep out chains. Kendall was a corporate waste land, that is finally getting better, but the arguments are a bit too much of the new 'Muppie' (yes another awful term someone coined, but it's an accurate description) mentality. The 'we're so socially aware, smart, and health conscious, that we need to change everything else for those less educated than we' mindset only works to alienate these others who would rather live their own lives.

I eat at a number of these places around Kendall, sometimes out of necessity, sometimes just to try something new, sometimes because a rep is paying for it, but I can't do it that often nor would I want to. That's the key point, offer alternatives for all, not just alternatives to the norm (or the old norm that is corporate chains, etc.)

And yes, it is a bit ironic that so much of this mentality exists in Kendall, when the whole place is made up of (or supported by) huge corporations. Huge corporations who are developing new and weirder chemicals to 'save the world' and employ so many people who are trying to eat all natural, and think the rest of us should too to 'save the world'.

Yup, turned into a rant.

Based on all the reworking that Boston Properties has been doing around the former Cambridge Center, I would guess that it will never return.

325 Main (ex-3CC) is slated for a lobby refresh to fit with the one at 355 (ex-5CC). They might take the opportunity to rework the retail in all of 325. Perhaps shift the Coop into some of the former food court space and open a second or third street-facing retail space in some of the Coop's current footprint.
The article I just posted indicates that BP might be looking to put up to 8 of the proposed 15 'fast food' options in the Ames development area.

I think you forgot to post the article, lol.

I enjoyed the rant though.

Honestly the trucks are better than the food court, although it would be nice if there was some seating for them.

There's also Ames St Deli and Study, the two restaurants poised to occupy the ground floor of the new 75 Ames St.:

http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2014/...-opening-2-new-restaurants-in-kendall-square/

I used to eat at this food court many times a week; the food's far better at the Koch Cafe (my new go-to), but as noted it's hard to keep lunch under 10 bucks.

I definitely miss the taco bar on Wednesdays at Damon's.

The sheer amount of people that will be added to the area over the next decade will dictate the need for many more food options, and with new residential units hopefully, all those new options can't be 9-5'ers.

The definition of allowable fast food joints also is significantly lacking. No offense to Clover, but a place that is serving a specific portion of the population as a vegetarian food provider, should not take a 'fast food' option for an area. Additionally, classifying Starbucks (all of my hatred for this company aside) as a 'fast food' joint is ridiculous. It's a coffee shop, that has some pastry options.

While I'd love a few more actual pizza/sub type places, or some other neighborhood style options, I know I'll either be disappointed or have to wait for some that aren't gimmicky to show up. But, a BK, Taco Bell, or what have you is not going to kill the area. Particularly when there is no real classic neighborhood to destroy. The arguments made seem to be closer to the ones you'd hear from the North End, where there is a classic neighborhood that has some merit to it's arguments to keep out chains. Kendall was a corporate waste land, that is finally getting better, but the arguments are a bit too much of the new 'Muppie' (yes another awful term someone coined, but it's an accurate description) mentality. The 'we're so socially aware, smart, and health conscious, that we need to change everything else for those less educated than we' mindset only works to alienate these others who would rather live their own lives.

Clover isn't serving a specific portion of the population. They serve things like falafel and gazpacho, both of which have been enjoyed by meat eaters and vegetarians alike for centuries.

The restaurant options in Kendall are way better now than when I lived there just 5 years ago. Things should continue to improve and diversify. You brought up the North End, with its countless generic restaurants serving identical menus of sub par food. Kendall is a million times better for food and drinks than the North End so they are obviously doing something right.

With that said, Kendall is certainly lacking many things, such as pharmacies, grocery stores and liquor stores.

It can't be a real Boston Squayeh without a packie!

I think Tasty Burger was eyeing the space where Bailey & Sage is now. Too bad, because it would have been fun to watch the start of the Herbivore-Carnivore Wars.

You can rationalize all you want. The food options are almost all aimed at the upper classes of the population. Needs to be mixed.

That is in no way a real liquor store. I go back there and grab a couple sixes for the office on Fridays. They give me a few new flavors to try. But, it's a true microcosm of the neighborhood. It has offerings for only the upper classes, the beer snobs, and hipsters. That's fine as long as there were a packed to offset it.

Right next door was the ol bait and switch That is Commonwealth. Again nothing wrong with the place, people like it. But a market it is not. At least not the kind that can support a neighborhood.

You took my comments about clover as negative, and that's your problem. I have no issue with the place (besides it smells awful to walk by both the storefront and the truck but that's my personal opinion). The point is, people want options that are not going to fit that vision. There should not be a plan in place to force people to only have moderate to expensive food options only.

Also thanks for misconstruing my comparison to the north end. I was fairly clear in that I was calling a real classic neighborhood with character, while Kendall is a corporate mess of blank single tenant buildings up until recently. And while it is fixing some of its ills, preventing things like fast food from coming in is not only exclusionary, but also can be somewhat stifling to growth.

We all want ground floor retail almost everywhere in new developments. Does anyone really think they can all survive and thrive if they are all the same type of pseudo upscale/maybe healthy places we already have. 5-10 might be fine and it is, but can 20 more work or will they just cannibalize each other while pricing others out.

As pointed out before. BK and Wendy's never seemed to kill Copley. Works pretty well with them. And not in spite of them. The tedeschi's there would be welcome in kendall as well.

Seamus, I wonder at the real business opportunity in what you are advocating for. It's like the luxury apartment boom - why leave money money on the table if the money is hanging right there? No doubt national chains would love to fill out Kendall even with high rent, but the city has committed to keeping them out as matter of public mandate. As more space comes online I'm sure someone will carve out a crusty corner for an Indian buffet or a simple sub shop.

It is all driven by opportunity cost.

Oh I know. I just don't like how it prices people out who don't want only those options. I feel a true mixed use neighborhood owes it to the users to cover all bases.

FOOD (allegedly) COMING!!

https://twitter.com/TransitMark/status/646093126621351936

CPdgaBnWsAE_4lL.jpg

Back