Former Grampy's Gas site | 290 Cambridge Street | Beacon Hill

Re: 290 Cambridge Street, Beacon Hill

About time!

There's a render on site. I haven't gotten close enough to see the detail, but I'm told its hideous.

If only there were an example of how to build a dignified 5-story building...

Drove by there tonight, it's fenced off and a good portion of the old gas station has been demolished.

If only there were an example of how to build a dignified 5-story building...

SoffuK U havin GOOd one oN canbRige STrasse just up the SARANI from GRUMPY BUZZY land places

Anyone ever eat at the Mexican place that operated out of the gas station?

Anyone ever eat at the Mexican place that operated out of the gas station?

Yes! Villa Mexico. It was some of the best take out mexican in all of Boston and leaps and bounds better than Ana's next door. I hope they find some new space somewhere....

Yes! Villa Mexico. It was some of the best take out mexican in all of Boston and leaps and bounds better than Ana's next door. I hope they find some new space somewhere....

i wouldnt go THAT far. I mean the burritos were ok. Definitely not better than Ana's (and Ana's is by no means mind-blowing).

i wouldnt go THAT far. I mean the burritos were ok. Definitely not better than Ana's (and Ana's is by no means mind-blowing).

Whatever you say. The meat at Ana's is of questionably quality not to mention the service sucks and the prices keep going up every 6-12 months. Boca Grande is a better local chain than Ana's.

MainImage_63.jpg

Boca Grande is a better local chain than Ana's.

This. x100000

I don't understand the obsession this city has with Anna's. Both Boloco and Boca Grande blow Anna's out of the water.

This. x100000

I don't understand the obsession this city has with Anna's. Both Boloco and Boca Grande blow Anna's out of the water.

Boca Grande does blow Anna's away. I'd equate Anna's Taqueria as the McDonald's of the local fast food mexican market: consistently below-average. Everyone with half a brain knows that burger king is far superior. r

Boloco is solid but just feels too sanitary to be good.

just be happy you have any burrito places, Pittsburgh has 2 Chipoltes, 2 Qdobas, and a grease pit burrito place near Pitt. I would kill for any of the places you guys are arguing over.

and a grease pit burrito place near Pitt.

Veracruz on Forbes Ave? I like that place. I try to make a stop there whenever I visit.

Mad Mex makes some excellent burritos as well, although not the traditional take-out version.

I've been loving the burritos at the new(ish) Pedro's Tacos over on Bromfield St.

Has anyone heard any updates on this project? There was a flurry of activity shortly after the gas station and the burrito joint closed. If I remember right they pulled out the underground storage tanks and then filled in the hole. Since then nothing has happened other than chain fencing going up. Even the snow that falls on the sidewalk just sits there unshoveled.

And FYI Villa Mexico is still operating as a wandering caterer, and also sells jars of their salsa in a few stores around the region. They were easily the best burritos downtown, I miss them every time I settle for Anna's or Viva Burrito.

It lives!

The site is active again as of a couple weeks ago. First there was more digging (maybe the soil is bad?), then the Grampy's building was gutted and leveled.

Back