Fort Point Infill and Small Developments

...I think the only thing that really works is physical separation. Put the bike lane at a different level, put a curb between it and the sidewalk, etc. Make the pedestrian trip if they inadvertently enter the bike lane.

Yeah, but this is the fundamental debate. Physical separation impedes cyclists being able to pass each other (or necessitates wider cycle tracks than this). As an occasional cyclist, I'd take protection over speed, but many of the more avid cyclists disagree.

Those of us who want speed still have the option of riding in the street. For example, I generally prefer the parking protected lane on Columbus, but if there are a lot of cyclists in it, I'll opt for the car lane instead, until I get ahead of the bike traffic, then move back in to the protected lane. But yes, no solution is ideal for all road users. The goal should be something that works for most, which in my opinion is physical separation, even though a few higher speed cyclists might not find that so useful.

Absolutely what I was thinking as well, similar to the colored asphalt used in tennis courts, running tracks, etc.

Kermit is insanely expensive and doesn't last. But they won't even do asphalt for the new (or even old) bus/bike lanes that are the approximate color of reddish asphalt.

Yep, which is why it was stupid to add another lane for cyclists instead of for buses.

Those of us who want speed still have the option of riding in the street. For example, I generally prefer the parking protected lane on Columbus, but if there are a lot of cyclists in it, I'll opt for the car lane instead, until I get ahead of the bike traffic, then move back in to the protected lane. But yes, no solution is ideal for all road users. The goal should be something that works for most, which in my opinion is physical separation, even though a few higher speed cyclists might not find that so useful.

I always assumed a Whole Foods would end up on the ground floor of the new Amazon building(s). Think the two could co-exist? As much as I love TJ's I'm not sure it's big enough to serve a fully built-out Seaport.

This may a bit off topic but I was very curious when they were constructing this part of the big dig if it was a possibility to dam a portion of the fort point channel. I'm guessing the channel is just a small inlet that doesn't have any appreciable benefit with respect to marine life. If they did construct a dam just north of where they submerged the mass pike extension, that would have greatly simplified construction, eliminated huge cost, not to forget preventing tunnel leaks and open up very valuable land for building and/or recreational purposes. The historical significance of the channel would still have been preserved, the tea party boat, museum etc. would remain intact. just musing on this I guess. It there is another (old) thread on this, let me know. thx

Last edited:
This may a bit off topic but I was very curious when they were constructing this part of the big dig if it was a possibility to dam a portion of the fort point channel. I'm guessing the channel is just a small inlet that doesn't have any appreciable benefit with respect to marine life. If they did construct a dam just north of where they submerged the mass pike extension, that would have greatly simplified construction, eliminated huge cost, not to forget preventing tunnel leaks and open up very valuable land for building and/or recreational purposes. The historical significance of the channel would still have been preserved, the tea party boat, museum etc. would remain intact. just musing on this I guess. It there is another (old) thread on this, let me know. thx
Citydweller --- below the bridges the channel is of minimal use for navigation as the clearance is just about enough for a motor launch or a canoe

However -- there is a lot of water taken out of the Fort Point Channel and used to cool machinery in the manufacture of Razor Blades by the Gillette South Boston Manufacturing Center [near the end of the wide part of the channel] -- the water circulates through heat exchangers and so it never comes into contact with anything to pollute it -- it just comes out a little bit warmer

Great point, I always wondered how that Gillette system worked.

Citydweller --- below the bridges the channel is of minimal use for navigation as the clearance is just about enough for a motor launch or a canoe

However -- there is a lot of water taken out of the Fort Point Channel and used to cool machinery in the manufacture of Razor Blades by the Gillette South Boston Manufacturing Center [near the end of the wide part of the channel] -- the water circulates through heat exchangers and so it never comes into contact with anything to pollute it -- it just comes out a little bit warmer

Very interesting indeed. thanks for the response and insight.

Really wish the Fort Point Channel could have been set up Venice style. It would have been a great attraction for our old city.

How do you mean?

Filled in a little with small boats. Not completely like Venice but built off the idea. Maybe have a small island strip in the middle with a park and/or ferris wheel. Add little light features on all the bridges and along the channel.

Hopefully it would become a tourist destination/landmark for the city like the Boston Commons and Faneuil Hall. It would be a great way to link the Seaport and Fort Point neighborhoods to downtown Boston.

Filled in a little with small boats. Not completely like Venice but built off the idea. Maybe have a small island strip in the middle with a park and/or ferris wheel. Add little light features on all the bridges and along the channel.

Hopefully it would become a tourist destination/landmark for the city like the Boston Commons and Faneuil Hall. It would be a great way to link the Seaport and Fort Point neighborhoods to downtown Boston.

That would be something, like the Tea Party museum x20. Now you've got me thinking about Venice, a true (car-free!) architecture nerd's Valhalla.

The single most important development is to get rid of that Damned Post Office factory -- its presence makes the Dorchester Ave have a half mile or so of dead-zone and there is nothing on the Boston Side of the Channel from Fidelity [old Stone and Webster building at Summer St.] all the way to Gillette and 2nd Ave.

Get rid of the P.O. and ideally redevelop the site as a strip of retail [at ground level with mid-rise towers behind] bordering a medium width sidewalk and then a functional Dorchester Ave. bordered by a narrow Esplanade like strip right along the water's edge

Cars, bikes, Buses, people could all use the extra connection between downtown Boston and the Seaport / Fort Point / Broadway area

Back