Foundation Medicine (Parcel P) | 400 Summer Street | Seaport

It looks exactly like the render did and people didn't love it then either but Lordy this board can flame anything.

This is in the top 10 aesthetic projects in the city, fake truss or no fake truss. It's not like the ventilation building is going away - that view past it will never look great.

It looks exactly like the render did and people didn't love it then either but Lordy this board can flame anything.

This is in the top 10 aesthetic projects in the city, fake truss or no fake truss. It's not like the ventilation building is going away - that view past it will never look great.

Completely agree. None of the facade is structural, after all. These are steel framed modern buildings that could easily be all glass curtain wall, so like everything else it comes down to aesthetics (that I happen to think are great). I think Morris Adjmi absolutely nailed it here for the neighborhood and a bridge between Fort Point and the Seaport. That group has this great ability to recognize what's appropriate for a changing neighborhood and slot in a statement building (134 Wooster, 414 W 14th, and 837 Washington all in NYC are perfect examples of how they've done this in the past).

Completely agree. None of the facade is structural, after all. These are steel framed modern buildings that could easily be all glass curtain wall, so like everything else it comes down to aesthetics (that I happen to think are great). I think Morris Adjmi absolutely nailed it here for the neighborhood and a bridge between Fort Point and the Seaport. That group has this great ability to recognize what's appropriate for a changing neighborhood and slot in a statement building (134 Wooster, 414 W 14th, and 837 Washington all in NYC are perfect examples of how they've done this in the past).

134 wooster is so good! Thats actually a perfect example of what I was thinking of with the modern twist on old school style architecture thread.

Is there something special it's supposed to be connecting to? Just to the middle of Summer Street?
Don't remember what/if anything planned for that parcel to the south.

Is there something special it's supposed to be connecting to? Just to the middle of Summer Street?
Don't remember what/if anything planned for that parcel to the south.
afaik nothing yet, it's just USPS land. Various BPDA master plans like the Fort Point District Plan envision essentially a continuation of the sort of development we've seen so far in the area but it would all depend on future USPS moves which are closely tied with South Station Expansion.

But even without that it provides the most direct connection from the convention center to the core of Seaport, and just finally brings some pedestrian activity to a really dead section of Summer Street. Depending on where one is coming from it'll also be the most direct route from south station to a lot of the seaport, and looks like a big improvement over the existing stairs over at A Street.

We’ve got trees on the plaza!

IMG_0494.jpeg

I was scouring BPDA and on here for any updates, but couldn't find anything. There's occasional sitework around the area but it's not clear if/when 350 Summer is going to get started.

That makes sense given recession fears and the financing environment for both new biotechs and new real estate developments.

I heard from a reliable source that the second building has been put on indefinite hold. 😑

That's too bad. I was really looking forward to this "canyon stairway" blocking the open highway.

The walk from the convention center right now is terrible. The wayfinding is really bad with the path to World Trade Center blocked off and all the sidewalks blocked.

1684769043231.png

1684769107361.png

Prior to this construction it's wholly uninteresting to attempt to cross a concrete sea to get to the harbor.
1684849994656.png

Last edited:
I don't think these steps were ever intended to be "placemaking," rather an attractive (and new) way into/ out of the Seaport, but I imagine that these will be quite hostile in the winter due to wind, etc until that second building is completed.

Yea even when real trusses are used they still get clad over so when finished theres going to be no discernible difference between this and real trussing besides the fact that you just know in your heart its fake lol.

rapid-7-04.jpg

This photo from another thread just reminded me of this.
Great layering and structural authenticity.

Back