Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

Re: New tower at Christian Science Church Plaza

Midtown may be profit-generating, but wouldn't a larger hotel be more so?

Midtown may be profit-generating, but wouldn't a larger hotel be more so?

I guess that depends on their custom base. If they are going for the budget traveler then an existing building keeps costs down. A new building may be able to hold 5-10x more people but may also raise costs so much to price out some customers (though that may be what some people want?)

Still, Church must see this as underutilized land.

Sry. Yes, the FCCS seems upfront and clear on its plans. I just question the city since it had a backroom deal going on with Liberty Mutual to give them the $16-million tax gift and I'm still seething about it.

The neighbors near Liberty Mutual put in hundreds of hours on the Stuart Street Area CAC only to see their plans pushed aside in one swoop.

^ What's a CAC?

Community Advisory Committee?

Those renderings totally show the Midtown Motel redeveloped.

If any one of you had to make a decision, would you renovate and possibily demolish the Reflecting pool, a well loved example of urban design, if it was part of a larger project redeveloping the Midtown?

No. The Midtown is easily ignored, while the reflecting pool is a beloved local landmark. I'm not against adding a walking path through it, but I don't like the idea of making it shallower.

The water recirculates constantly, doesn't it? What would be accomplished by making it shallower? After it was filled, a shallow pool would lose the same amount of water by evaporation as a deeper pool.

The water recirculates constantly, doesn't it? What would be accomplished by making it shallower? After it was filled, a shallow pool would lose the same amount of water by evaporation as a deeper pool.

In the Globe video the architect claims "for sustainability and water use" reasons, but doesn't elaborate. He also says there would be some sort of design on the bottom of the pool. I'm not at all in favor of the shallowing of the pool, I think it will diminish its literal reflecting quality.

The whole point is to reflect, not to look through and see some half-ass design! What is this architect thinking?!

I'm getting sick of "sustainability" being a flimsy excuse for design decisions architects don't want to otherwise justify or admit to doing something because they find it aesthetically pleasing.

The less volume of water = less filtration = lower flow rates on circulation = smaller pumps = equal less power requirements. Also, probably equals less water down the drain when filters are backwashed.

I see money and water to be saved. Although if it is part of the campus cooling system that might defeat some of its usefulness.

Today's Globe article says that the pool has major leaks into the garage below, and uses three times its capacity of water each year.

I see money and water to be saved. Although if it is part of the campus cooling system that might defeat some of its usefulness.

It was supposed to be part of the cooling system, but according to the minutes of the 4/2009(?) meeting, the plan was never realized.

I never knew that -- had always been told that the pool was integral to the HVAC system.

Someone make the reflecting pool historical before they destroy it

Someone make the reflecting pool historical before they destroy it

Any bets that NABB will sue if Landmarks doesn't designate it protected and prevent any changes (even though NABB's memberships normal course of action is to repudiate anything south of Boylston)?

Back