Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

Re: New tower at Christian Science Church Plaza

Cutting a path across the Reflecting Pool isn't just "something that will only be evident to someone if riding in a helicopter". (I'm reserving judgment on it until I understand the proposal better.)

"evident" can range from screamingly obvious to barely perceptible. If they continue the pool's present edge treatment, it'll tend to the barely perceptible. The diagonal, however, they should lose. Orthogonal all the way.

Can the city/local neighborhood groups dictate to the Church what they can and cannot do with their own property? I had the impression that church property was pretty much immune from government and neighborhood regulations and influences.

If Belmont can dictate what kind of steeple the Mormons can have, Boston can interfere here.

Orthogonal would be much less intrusive, I think, but I still doubt that anything should be done. If a path must be cut, I'd like the walkway to be a few inches below street grade, with gutters to allow for an infinity edge along the pool. I think that would be far less noticeable from either end, and when people walked across it it would create the illusion of mere mortals walking on water (at a church, no less!) (KZ thought of this first).

I'd like the walkway to be a few inches below street grade, with gutters to allow for an infinity edge along the pool. I think that would be far less noticeable from either end, and when people walked across it it would create the illusion of mere mortals walking on water (at a church, no less!) (KZ thought of this first).
I think that's been everyone's assumption all along.

Orthogonal would be much less intrusive, I think, but I still doubt that anything should be done. If a path must be cut, I'd like the walkway to be a few inches below street grade, with gutters to allow for an infinity edge along the pool. I think that would be far less noticeable from either end, and when people walked across it it would create the illusion of mere mortals walking on water (at a church, no less!) (KZ thought of this first).

Honestly I only like the idea of the walkway because I can't wait to take/see this photo.

They should also consider the idea of putting colored lights on top of the mother church, a la Prudential.

Barbara Burley's been saying all along this is exactly how they'll accomplish a cut.

Despite your objection (a reasonable one from a pure design view), the pool is unreasonably long from a person/use perspective. I think the other plan to cut it 1/3 - 2/3 perpedicular to Huntington Ave is a solid compromise.

And to atlanataden, here, yes the city has a lot to contribute due to the history of the site, zoning districts, and the way FCCS accomplished the current facility. Scroll back a few pages for more.

Looks like the make believe even shows a replacement for the MidTown Motor Lodge.

Ugh. the comments section on the herald site from that article is infuriating.

Existential.

Cryptic.

This article.
And considering almost half the comment were pro development, it wasn't too bad.

I hate some people who comment on things.

ugh - "i can have my cake and eat it too."
these people move in somewhere and then demand nobody else does, because that's so fair.
they treat development like a dirty word even though they also live in development. nowhere in their deed does it guarantee them to unchanging shadows, traffic conditions, etc. the BRA treats zoning like crap because it is arbitrary crap.

The Christian Science Plaza Revitalization Project Citizen Advisory Committee (CRAP) is meeting at this very minute, discussing proposals for a new tower and changes to the plaza (including splitting the pool in two).

How much you want to wager the city is in secret talks with developers to build something there or even across the street at the Midtown Hotel (a la Liberty Mutual)?

The Christian Science Plaza Revitalization Project Citizen Advisory Committee (CRAP) is meeting at this very minute, discussing proposals for a new tower and changes to the plaza (including splitting the pool in two).

How much you want to wager the city is in secret talks with developers to build something there or even across the street at the Midtown Hotel (a la Liberty Mutual)?

How do you mean, John? FCCS hasn't kept their development desires a secret. Main campus includes a large tower to round out Belvidere/Dalton Street, a structure above/replacing the Sunday School tower and the plan to bisect the pool with a pedestrian walkway. I've seen renderings and models of what the church -- not private developers -- wants to do.

As for Midtown: it's a profit-generating enterprise for the church. I imagine they'd be reluctant to sell. But: it's a perfect location for something the same height as Harold Brown's Greenhouse. No shadows to cast on anything but the underpass, convenient to the MBTA, Back Bay, South End, and the Pike.

Questioning the tone of your post here. It's confusing since they've been pretty blunt about their goals.

Back