Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

Re: Christian Science Church Center Renovation/ New Towers

Much of the Christian Science property is no longer used for religious purposes. They now lease out both the tower and the colonnade building.

"?The designation itself neither accept nor precludes the current proposal for the site (and) in no way seeks to restrict freedom of religion,? Menino said."

Actually, werent we talking about how the korean church megacube was because theres a law that says that religious buildings are subject to zoning?

That reminds me of the dispute that the Mormon Church on Route 2 had... (I think it was the church Romney attended?)

* Superior court rules on steeple for new temple in Boston
Published: Saturday, March 4, 2000
http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articl...ules-on-steeple-for-new-temple-in-Boston.html

The article makes no mention of what this will mean for the new towers. I'm sure this wouldn't affect the largest tower within the plans, which is on a triangle behind the plaza towards the Sheraton/Hilton. But would it affect the plans for the Mass Ave/Huntington tower?

That historic pool was built in 1972. I think it's great as is but a cross cut section would do some good too. Either way I think anything built in 1972 cannot be seized and regulated by an entity based on the fact that it's historic. Seems to me that would be legally contendable.

Except in this case the property owner appears to have consented to the designation and regulation.

Oh I didn't see that part. Why would one want this designation / regulation? Do they get some kind financial incentives?

I got that from the Herald article, not the Globe article.

Oh I didn't see that part. Why would one want this designation / regulation? Do they get some kind financial incentives?
It may go back to when the site was developed. Much of this area was housing, and there may have been some 'taking' by the city to facilitate the development.

3385113032_4ccfb7caf1.jpg

^ How does that relate to consenting to historic status?

Also, although that housing would have had to have been cleared somehow, I doubt eminent domain was involved...how could the state (which has the gov't eminent domain power, usually...I would imagine it's the same in MA) justify taking on behalf of a religious organization? Usually some broader public benefit has to be asserted, at least.

^ How does that relate to consenting to historic status?

Also, although that housing would have had to have been cleared somehow, I doubt eminent domain was involved...how could the state (which has the gov't eminent domain power, usually...I would imagine it's the same in MA) justify taking on behalf of a religious organization? Usually some broader public benefit has to be asserted, at least.

I would agree, but back in the muscular days of urban renewal, when the West End was cleared out, the Mass Pike built, and the Central Artery right-of-way carved out, there may have been less concern about such issues. I find it harder to believe that the Mother Church had steadily acquired all that property. I find it easier to believe that the state or city had originally acquired it for another purpose, and then sold or turned it over to the Christian Scientists.

The state acquired the land and never fully built the replacement housing which was torn down. Remember that Church Park was originally planned to extend to Boylston Street. It was seen as an extension of the Prudential project.

This day is full of good news...

Christian Science Plaza redevelopment gets city OK
08/17/2011 3:00 PM
By Casey Ross, Globe Staff

Boston officials have approved plans for a sweeping redevelopment of the Christian Science Plaza that will eventually result in construction of three new towers on the property and reconstruction of the reflecting pool and surrounding gathering places.
The approval by the Boston Redevelopment Authority is the first step in reinventing the roughly 15-acre plaza, which is a wide open expanse at the intersection of the city’s South End and Back Bay neighborhoods.

The plans by The First Church of Christ, Scientist call for two new buildings on a triangular plot across from the Sheraton and Hilton hotels along Belvidere Street. One building would be 251 feet tall and the other 512 feet, or nearly the same size of the crown-shaped tower at nearby 111 Huntington Ave.

A third building, of 291 feet in height, would be built near the corner of Huntington and Massachusetts avenues. The exact use and design of the buildings will not be determined until the church hires developers for each parcel, according to a press release posted on the church’s web site today. Allowed uses include offices, residences, hotels and retail stores.

Church officials said in their press release that the redevelopment will improve the appearance and and usefulness of the plaza, as well as helping the church financially.
“The carefully-situated new development will preserve the Plaza’s open space, respect the historic setting of the Plaza, and fit well with near-by commercial and residential neighborhoods,” officials said in the release. “It will also generate additional real estate revenue to help cover the Church’s property expenses, thereby contributing to the Church’s goal of a self-sustaining real estate model.”
In addition to the new buildings, the church is planning to reconstruct the reflecting pool, which is in need of leak repairs, and add a public pavilion near the intersection of Huntington Avenue and Belvidere Street. Other upgrades would include the addition of green space, seating and other landscaping to make the property more welcoming.

The proposals for each new building on the plaza would also need final approval from the BRA, although last night’s vote granted zoning changes that will make it much easier to obtain each approval. The BRA’s decision last night must also be confirmed by the zoning commission, which will take up the matter in next month.

Does the plan still involve making the reflecting pool more shallow? I am concerned about the effect of that.

Stellarfun, does this show the entrance to Oxford Terrace? This is Huntington Ave looking toward Copley Square.

5517497490_dc93ddfbf2.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boston_public_library/

Copyright © Leslie Jones
Mr. Keith, I think Oxford Terrace had been demolished by the time that picture was taken.

Oxford Terrace apparently was more of an alley than anything. One way to get to it was down a big set of stairs from Dartmouth St; I suspect the stairs were opposite of what is now Back Bay Station. The terrace ran behind the big SS Pierce building on Dartmouth and Huntington, and behind the Oxford hotel on Huntington. There was also an alley entrance down to the terrace on the south side of the hotel.

The terrace itself was level with and adjacent to the main line New Haven tracks, which would be to the east. From finding an old advertisement (circa 1881 or so) the houses on the terrace probably were developed by the Oxford hotel. Several became very early fraternities for MIT, but only for a short time.

What happened to the NIMBYs?

They are out of work and are hoping to get a construction job.

I didn't know the tallest was going to be 512ft. I guess the "High" spine actually exist. Or it will start plateauing like downtown. Not complaining though.

Good. The Pru and Hancock still need a couple more 500+ footers to make their fiefdom look filled out.

Back