Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

they may never "officially" admit it -- for whatever weird, boston-crazy reasons -- but after having been to the site yesterday, i'm pretty convinced this will ultimately wind up being taller than the Pru.

Title 18, United States Code, Section 1001 makes it a crime to: 1) knowingly and willfully; 2) make any materially false, fictitious or fraudulent statement or representation; 3) in any matter within the jurisdiction of the executive, legislative or judicial branch of the United States.

IMO, for the Four Seasons to fib about the true height of the building to the FAA would be a violation of 18 USC 1001, which is a felony.

The Pru is almost certainly taller in the eyes of the FAA, because of the antenna mast. IIRC, the pinnacle height for the Pru is over 900 feet.

The pinnacle height for this one is 856'. However, from an "Official Height" perspective, antennas don't count, so the rest of us are leaving it out of our arguments. In that case we're putting 756' 1 Dalton vs 750' Prudential.

I have no idea where the 742' number comes from and it seems dishonest to not be forthright about this being the 2nd or 3rd tallest building in Boston.

The pinnacle height for this one is 856'. However, from an "Official Height" perspective, antennas don't count,
so the rest of us are leaving it out of our arguments. In that case we're putting 756' 1 Dalton vs 750' Prudential.

Still too early to know. Fingers crossed. i posted a half dozen links 2 years ago quoting 740'.
Then last fall, we came to find out, in fact it's going 742'.
At some point what is presented as fact becomes tough to walk back.

There's no reason it couldn't have gone 765~789'....
Except for the incredible amount of attention and push back it would have received.

Whether it turns out to be 742' or 756', they cleverly used the Pru as cover.

"Will it rise taller than the Pru?"

"No, the height is set for 699'."

Oh, not even a 700' tower: back to sleep.

But to build something that will blatantly surpass the Pru,

at some point you will have to admit it: "Yes, it will be taller than the Pru."

This still may, in fact go all the way up to 756'.

I have no idea where the 742' number comes from and it seems dishonest to not be forthright
about this being the 2nd or 3rd tallest building in Boston.

Isn't the top of the Pru's latter-day-antenna's base taller than 749'?

We have a bunch of old photos with that red antenna podium clearly not there.
That's not an antenna. That's a podium.

In any case, what developers have to do to get a 750' building up in this town proves
we are the #1 nimby-friendly, anti-height city, without peer.

Last edited:
^Odurandina...what year was that black and white pic taken??? Looks ancient, lol.

Sometime between 1971 and when the first windows popped out.

or possibly around 1976 or shortly after.

This is dystopian.

+1 - - I fully agree. Dear Lord, look at the streetscape/humanoid experience on Huntington Avenue there. It screams "If you are on foot, go away, scram!!!".

But, I'd imagine, Odourandina loves the building heights.

Last edited:
Still too early to know. Fingers crossed. i posted a half dozen links 2 years ago quoting 740'.
Then last fall, we came to find out, in fact it's going 742'.
At some point what is presented as fact becomes tough to walk back.

There's no reason it couldn't have gone 765~789'....
Except for the incredible amount of attention and push back it would have received.

Whether it turns out to be 742' or 756', they cleverly used the Pru as cover.

"Will it rise taller than the Pru?"

"No, the height is set for 699'."

Oh, not even a 700' tower: back to sleep.

But to build something that will blatantly surpass the Pru,

at some point you will have to admit it: "Yes, it will be taller than the Pru."

This still may, in fact go all the way up to 756'.

Isn't the top of the Pru's latter-day-antenna's base taller than 749'?

We have a bunch of old photos with that red antenna podium clearly not there.
That's not an antenna. That's a podium.

In any case, what developers have to do to get a 750' building up in this town proves
we are the #1 nimby-friendly, anti-height city, without peer.

The Pru is 749’.

Sometime between 1971 and when the first windows popped out.

or possibly around 1976 or shortly after.

Gotta be late 1970s... Sheraton's south tower is up and looks to be completed, but no Copley Place yet.

Wow, looking at this pic without Copley Place and a whole bunch of stuff makes me wonder how many buildings were knocked down to put in the MA Pike and the Pru, etc. I am very pro-development, but seeing that would have brought the NIMBY out of even me back then. :)

Gotta be late 1970s... Sheraton's south tower is up and looks to be completed, but no Copley Place yet.

Just before my parents moved to Fenway then. So thats what the Back Bay looked like when they lived there.

What is that black cubed building on Huntington? Thats not there anymore is it? Looks like it was torn down and 111 went up in its place...

Back