Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

Wow, looking at this pic without Copley Place and a whole bunch of stuff makes me wonder how many buildings were knocked down to put in the MA Pike and the Pru, etc. I am very pro-development, but seeing that would have brought the NIMBY out of even me back then. :)

The Pru was done as air rights over the large rail yard, so, pretty much 0 buildings were destroyed for it, and it filled in an existing huge gap/hole in the area.

What is that crane for on top of the Pru Tower, to make it even taller?

Four Seasons may fight back and get a taller spire.

Just before my parents moved to Fenway then. So thats what the Back Bay looked like when they lived there.

What is that black cubed building on Huntington? Thats not there anymore is it? Looks like itRendering for 101 Huntington, then known as the "South East Office Tower":

Haha na thats 101 huntington. Thats what it used to look like before they added the fins to the roof. Zoom in you can tell its the same, the roof is just throwing you off.

Looking at the pics I think I liked it better before. It had better verticality. Now it looks kinda squat. I wonder if theyd ever change it back haha.

Now:

101huntington.jpg

Past:

img2500au3.jpg

bostoncpru1969ishr100hu.jpg

Last edited:
What is that black cubed building on Huntington? Thats not there anymore is it? Looks like it was torn down and 111 went up in its place...

That's 101 Huntington offices; 336' abysmal blight w/ roughly the same floor plate as the Pru... topped a few months after the JHT in 1971.

The original 101 was perfectly fine, if unremarkable. Ruined by that awful PoMo makeover.

Exactly somehow they literally made it look shorter. It actually looked good before I like how the roof looked. They should go back...

+1 - - I fully agree. Dear Lord, look at the streetscape/humanoid experience on Huntington Avenue there. It screams "If you are on foot, go away, scram!!!".

But, I'd imagine, Odourandina loves the building heights.
Even though it's much better now, that stretch of Huntington is still pretty pedestrian unfriendly.

Fantastic work on a clear day DZ!

We've seen mechanical floors added after topping out ceremonies on various other towers.

2 additional floors might be still coming, no?

Curbed is reporting this topped out today.

Yeah, but topped out doesn't mean it has hit its highest point. It hasn't. The core is still sticking above and will be hidden by the cladding envelope. It most likely means that the concrete pour is done and only the steel top remains.

"While many American buildings skip the 13th floor on the elevator panel, the Four Seasons Hotel and private residences at One Dalton will also omit the 4th and 44th floors."

65 levels total minus levels 4, 13, 44 = 62 levels.

can anyone do a count? :D

Ah, removing the "4" and "44" as the sound of the number 4 in Cantonese sounds like the word for "death" - trying to attract Chinese investors. The lack of 13th floors in so many buildings is also strange as there is always a 4th, 13th or 44th floor, it just isn't numbered that way.

Well, there rarely a 44th floor in buildings in Boston, cuz they never get that tall, HEYOOO!!

Sorry, I'll show myself out.

when the mech screen is wrapped up, this'll be essentially the exact height of the pru -- whether it's ultimately three feet shorter or five feet taller or whether people nitpick about what point on either should be considered the pinnacle, meh... it's not going noticably taller (or shorter) than the pru and, at the end of the day, even if with the screen it's 20 feet taller than the pru (it won't be), that still doesn't challenge JHT, so -- a tall tower that still wouldn't stand out in any cities that really embrace height.

does it matter? the only way i think it does is that, while i've heard some (usually older) saying that it "ruins" the classic boston skyline with the (former) twin peaks, what bothers *me* a little is that those three are soooo close in height to one another that there's no motion to that portion of the skyline. having two towers of roughly equivalent height creates a symmetry and balance which works fine. having three creates a static dynamic. had 1 dalton gone noticably taller than JHT i think the overall effect would've been more aesthetically pleasing in context.

all that said i think 1 dalton looks neat and i'm psyched to have finally actually been alive for a truly tall-ish tower going up in boston.

when the mech screen is wrapped up, this'll be essentially the exact height of the pru -- whether it's ultimately three feet shorter or five feet taller or whether people nitpick about what point on either should be considered the pinnacle, meh... it's not going noticably taller (or shorter) than the pru and, at the end of the day, even if with the screen it's 20 feet taller than the pru (it won't be), that still doesn't challenge JHT, so -- a tall tower that still wouldn't stand out in any cities that really embrace height.

does it matter? the only way i think it does is that, while i've heard some (usually older) saying that it "ruins" the classic boston skyline with the (former) twin peaks, what bothers *me* a little is that those three are soooo close in height to one another that there's no motion to that portion of the skyline. having two towers of roughly equivalent height creates a symmetry and balance which works fine. having three creates a static dynamic. had 1 dalton gone noticably taller than JHT i think the overall effect would've been more aesthetically pleasing in context.

all that said i think 1 dalton looks neat and i'm psyched to have finally actually been alive for a truly tall-ish tower going up in boston.

Well said.

Back