Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

my follow-up response on insta was along those lines. there absolutely are solutions and it's weird that such an expensive project would cheap-out at the very end. although we saw similar with MT not following through on "capping" the roof as per the renders. frustrating, though. it's a minor detail, but i think it'd make 1 dalton considerably more appealling, overall.

So I must ask, did you delete your comment or did they go through and wipe it out? Couldn't help but notice the whole thread is gone without a trace... Maybe that's bad PR... Or we can hope maybe they made a mistake...

Can anyone name 1 major city in the WORLD with a skyline that's darker at night than Boston's?

Guess I gotta bow outta this one, because skyline brightness is not something I'm very invested in.

Guess I gotta bow outta this one, because skyline brightness is not something I'm very invested in.

And for the record, me neither.
I just felt compelled to point out, from a benchmarking standpoint, that before people complain about this one little tree logo...
...they should understand, on a scale from 1-Ridiculous, that Boston's skyline brightness is a 1.01

So I must ask, did you delete your comment or did they go through and wipe it out? Couldn't help but notice the whole thread is gone without a trace... Maybe that's bad PR... Or we can hope maybe they made a mistake...

I commented as well, and they deleted it within minutes. Thin skin over on luxury lane.

i didn't delete it, but you're right: it is definitely wiped from their account.

one thing i noted when they replied -- aside from being surprised that they were being so forthcoming and responding at all -- was that the "fsbostondalton" poster's response to my question had no punctuation or capital letters (like most of my online posts) *and* ended the explanation with a sad-face emoji. my guess is that the powers that be over in four-seasons-land wouldn't approve of such candor and such open expressions of disappointment at their inability to do this signage thing.

given the hour of day (night) when it was posted and all the above, i can't help but wonder if whoever was manning the wheel for their instagram account wasn't perhaps a little lubricated and maybe later on regretted the exchange and deleted the whole thing.

Just wanted to express my thoughts and prayers to everyone who is bothered by the loss of the logo and energy conscious dimness of our skyline.

Just wanted to express my thoughts and prayers to everyone who is bothered by the loss of the logo and energy conscious dimness of our skyline.

F off, you live in Winchester. It's not your skyline.

thoughts and prayers to everyone who has to endure your insufferable and needless snark on a regular basis.

Come on, it's not thaaaaaat bad.

Dotdude, I literally laughed out loud at that.

We dont need more light pollution guys. Stars arent the enemy.

Ah, then it's a good thing One Dalton won't have the lights.

We now get to keep those amazing star filled skies over downtown Boston!!!!! :D

I hate logos in general, so I for one am glad at this turn of events. Moreover, I’m confused as to why so many people seem disappointed in not getting a logo on an otherwise nice looking skyscraper. Am I the only one who feels like logos fuck up otherwise nice pieces of art and architecture?

I hate logos in general, so I for one am glad at this turn of events. Moreover, I’m confused as to why so many people seem disappointed in not getting a logo on an otherwise nice looking skyscraper. Am I the only one who feels like logos fuck up otherwise nice pieces of art and architecture?

For me, the disappointment comes not from the loss of a bit of overtly-visible corporate branding, but at the loss of a visually nice lighting design element on our newest and most prominent tower. I would have preferred an unbranded approach, but what we saw in the renders was almost understated compared to a lot of other corporate signage.

I’m not some height or light fetish dude either - but I do appreciate what a well-lit skyline does for nighttime atmosphere in a big city. No doubt my living through APAC over the past 20 years has influenced my tastes; Boston is dark and this reads as a bit uninviting.

That highly touched-up photo of Hong Kong is not what the city looks like in real life, even when they do the light show, which is NOT every night at 8:00.

For me, the disappointment comes not from the loss of a bit of overtly-visible corporate branding, but at the loss of a visually nice lighting design element on our newest and most prominent tower. I would have preferred an unbranded approach, but what we saw in the renders was almost understated compared to a lot of other corporate signage.

well put.

I’m not some height or light fetish dude either - but I do appreciate what a well-lit skyline does for nighttime atmosphere in a big city. No doubt my living through APAC over the past 20 years has influenced my tastes; Boston is dark and this reads as a bit uninviting.

That highly touched-up photo of Hong Kong is not what the city looks like in real life, even when they do the light show, which is NOT every night at 8:00.

Shawn, you put this very eloquently, and my sentiment is almost identical to what you nicely express in your first two paragraphs.

Your last I must take exception to. Below are entirely undoctored photos from my own phone (obviously, aperture setting will affect apparent brightness, but I was not paying attention to that).
And, yes, the HK Symphony of Lights is now every night and has been expanded substantially in 2017 and 2018 (see here).
Having just been there, I would say the photo upthread does not exaggerate the effect much. HK can be gaudy to some, though many whom I've talked to who've been there have found it beautiful; regardless of one's stance, it is bright AF.

Sorry that some probably view this as a thread derail, but my point is about aesthetic discussion/critique in this thread. This is just about providing a point of calibration about where Boston falls on this luminosity spectrum - which is to say, at the darkest end. My point is that the FS tree logo, relatively speaking, is tasteful and unobtrusive, though I personally don't care much whether it gets put there or not.

88Iu9DF.png

Last edited:

It’s funny to hear so many people talking about how dark the skyline is here, because I have always liked the way Boston looks at night from any vantage. I don’t find it dark at all… it may not be as filled in as other cities, but that is a reflection of the absence of the tall buildings, not the lighting. Most of the buildings are lit up, at least the windows are, and in my opinion that’s how it should be. I don’t need a bunch of specially lit up junk on the tops of the buildings. I’m actually genuinely surprised at this discussion.

It’s funny to hear so many people talking about how dark the skyline is here, because I have always liked the way Boston looks at night from any vantage. I don’t find it dark at all… it may not be as filled in as other cities, but that is a reflection of the absence of the tall buildings, not the lighting. Most of the buildings are lit up, at least the windows are, and in my opinion that’s how it should be. I don’t need a bunch of specially lit up junk on the tops of the buildings. I’m actually genuinely surprised at this discussion.

I'm all for a more bright nighttime skyline, but I find it more important that the STREETS are lit up more at night - - humanoid life! (i.e. when I'm in Times Square, NYC, I'm fascinated by the humans and the first few floors of lively restaurants/retail. I'm not gawking at the top floors of the Marriott - - similarly, a festive nocturnal Boylston Street means much for urban life than the weather color beacon atop the old Hancock). But, ideally, we'd have both!

Back