Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

Only 4 panels of glass to go. (That we can see, anyway - other may be cracked and still need replacing.)

Only 4 panels of glass to go. (That we can see, anyway - other may be cracked and still need replacing.)

COVID or not, the plywood at this point is beyond absurd. This building opened a year and a half ago. How long does it really take to order a few pieces of glass? You would think the most specialized glass order in the world wouldn' take this long. I really don't get it.

COVID or not, the plywood at this point is beyond absurd. This building opened a year and a half ago. How long does it really take to order a few pieces of glass? You would think the most specialized glass order in the world wouldn' take this long. I really don't get it.
Yeah, it's totally ridiculous. I sometimes wonder if the plywood panels left up here are a tongue-in-cheek homage to the Hancock, and none of us are in on the joke.

....You would think the most specialized glass order in the world wouldn' take this long. I really don't get it.

1. Doesn't this actually basically qualify among the most specialized glass orders in the world? I remember something about this going from California, to Europe, to Canada, each for a specialized treatment.
2. Looks like it does, in fact, take this long...

whether it's specialized or not, it's a (bad) joke at this point, and has been for a long while.

1. Doesn't this actually basically qualify among the most specialized glass orders in the world? I remember something about this going from California, to Europe, to Canada, each for a specialized treatment.
2. Looks like it does, in fact, take this long...

I have no information but the more I think about it I am willing to bet this about $ and not about the time it takes to order the most specialized of all glass. Perhaps a legal dispute with the glass supplier and they are refusing to ship the last few specially ordered panels as leverage? And maybe not so easy to just find another supplier who can fabricate these exactly like all the others.

There are 4 plywood panels remaining. And there is one pane of glass still ready to go on the ground.

Worst part? They can only do one panel per day.

The whole thing is ridiculous.

DSC_6367 (2).JPG

From 8/2. There are still 4 pieces of plywood on the west face. I am ready to fully embrace and love this tower, but I NEED THEM TO FINISH IT ALREADY! I would argue this is the most important face as well, as it stands out the most from the west. The lighting looks so good and then BAM(!!!) there's the damn plywood. Let's gooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Click in to view larger.

IMG_1964 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_1965 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_1966 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_1967 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_1976 by David Z, on Flickr

From Savin Hill

IMG_1993 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_2009 by David Z, on Flickr

Has anyone heard an explanation as to why the plywood is still there?

A few (likely dozen) pages ago, there was an in-depth post about the logistics and supply chain issues the window manufacturer is facing between multiple countries and various manufacturing facilities, though it seems to be far more serious/complicated than what they want to admit. 8 months into 2020 and we're still waiting on windows... comically embarrassing...

i get that this is very expensive, unique glass and that the supply chain is extremely complex, but if it's going to be a matter of months -- or, more accurately, years -- why not use regular old heat-strengthened glass on the remaining panels rather than plywood? surely sharp-eyed observers (such as folks on this board) would be able to notice the difference between that and the rest of the panels, but to most people it'd be way less noticably "unfinished" than it is with plywood. more expensive than plywood, sure, but i'd have to think an organization that thrives on image -- such as the four seasons -- would consider it worth the cost.

i get that this is very expensive, unique glass and that the supply chain is extremely complex, but if it's going to be a matter of months -- or, more accurately, years -- why not use regular old heat-strengthened glass on the remaining panels rather than plywood? surely sharp-eyed observers (such as folks on this board) would be able to notice the difference between that and the rest of the panels, but to most people it'd be way less noticably "unfinished" than it is with plywood. more expensive than plywood, sure, but i'd have to think an organization that thrives on image -- such as the four seasons -- would consider it worth the cost.
It is not just a question of glass. These are custom window wall "units" with hidden framing, etc.

You would have to fabricate a fully functional unit, with all the framing interface, that would fit in the same place. Probably not a whole lot faster than getting the real window units.

I guess that makes sense, to a degree, but if they can temporarily (if a couple years can be considered "temporary") secure sheets of plywood without the full "units" with hidden framing that would house the actual finished glass, I'm not sure why the same couldn't be done with sheets of heat-strengthened glass.

I realize I'm quoting directly from my own set above, but it appears most people missed the set (posted just after midnight) and only caught the conversation afterward. So scroll up a bit! Along with the 4 plywood pieces, I still see some tape around 1 of the windows and 2 of the balconies. How long does that tape need to stay there? I actually think this tower is bleeping amazing but it's about time for them to clean up the final blemishes.

I think adding temporary glass to replace the plywood would just be a waste of time, and almost definitely obvious. At least this way it still looks incomplete. That way it would look like they completed it in the poorest manner possible. The glass really is unbelievable, probably the highest quality glass in the whole city.

Last edited:
I realize I'm quoting directly from my own set above, but it appears most people missed the set (posted just after midnight) and only caught the conversation afterward. So scroll up a bit! Along with the 4 plywood pieces, I still see some tape around 1 of the windows and 2 of the balconies. How long does that tape need to stay there? I actually think this tower is bleeping amazing but it's about time for them to clean up the final blemishes.

I think adding temporary glass to replace the plywood would just be a waste of time, and almost definitely obvious. At least this way it still looks incomplete. That was it would look like they completed it in the poorest manner possible. The glass really is unbelievable, probably the highest quality glass in the whole city.

~21 days for the caulking to set

Back