Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

Re: Christian Science Church Center Renovation/ New Towers

It says "by year's end". That's "close to starting" to you?

In Boston if it's this year, yes that's close to starting. On a side note we/ the city needs to hear more about this. This is a development that will drastically change the skyline/ create a more urban fabric in the back bay.

It says "by year's end". That's "close to starting" to you?

I was disappointed when I clicked that link too. I was expecting a start date. We hear "by the years end" all the time ... unless it's late in the year lol

Still, the part about getting financing in the next few weeks is a huge deal if it happens.

In Boston if it's this year, yes that's close to starting.

That's not true for all developments, and even in the cases where it is I refuse to succumb to that.

I had thought this thread would be at top of the forum after the interruption.

Four Seasons hotel and residences. Will be second Four Seasons hotel in Boston. I think the Four seasons is expecting there will be a lot of foreign money buying the condos.

No expense will be spared.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...ton-skyline/WVLKv4IqrgfCgq8ldup1kJ/story.html

Last edited:

fourseasons1-7758.jpg

cam31-skyline-night.jpg

rendering_4seasons1_biz.jpg

rendering_4seasons3_biz-7750.jpg

rendering_4seasons2_biz-7752.jpg

rendering_4seasons4_biz-7749.jpg

Enough said.

I was surprised how few people from here showed up on Skyscraperpage. I would have thought that thread would blow up yesterday - the first Boston thread over there to top a page...

I was thinking about this project a lot yesterday and how big an impact it's really going to have. There are so many places from which the Pru/Hancock are the only buildings in the city you can see - coming over the I-90 rise in Weston, walking down various streets in Cambridge, Brighton, etc. This building will either join or block the Pru from a lot of angles.

This is going to be huge. Biggest change to the skyline in my lifetime. Really, the only obvious change to the skyline in my lifetime.

I'm excited about this project...now I want Simon to announce so that the skyline won't look lopsided.

Well it's definitely time to break this off into its own thread. I mean gosh, a 700 footer? Let's start at the beginning...

THE OWNER: Christian Science Church
THE DEVELOPER: Carpenter & Co.
THE TENANT: Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts
THE ARCHITECTS: Cambridge Seven Associates and Henry N. Cobb

THE PLAN:

etpe.jpg

hivv.jpg

rwe6.jpg

A couple of Downburst's SketchUp models:

76ic.jpg

85gi.jpg

Renderings from the July 2013 project notification form:

uou1.jpg

gi2h.jpg

vmk5.jpg

8vsn.jpg

kbgpv.jpg

FINALLY, the latest renderings now that Four Seasons has jumped onboard:

4k4m.jpg

03ba3.jpg

7cs1.jpg

na1y.jpg

7j4ta.jpg

7t81.jpg

Last for now, a graphic from the Globe:

m114.jpg

And I didn't like how the panoramic rendering didn't have the Copley Place tower so I went ahead and added it in:

vuk7.png

That looks awesome.

I am surprised (and pleased) that this seems to be moving along with no opposition. The old Boylston Square tower, which was in about the same area, faced major opposition and was killed due to its height.

That looks awesome.

I am surprised (and pleased) that this seems to be moving along with no opposition. The old Boylston Square tower, which was in about the same area, faced major opposition and was killed due to its height.

Yeah, props to the St. Germain folks for not trying too hard to kill this. I think the view down their street looks unique and awesome, but I doubt that's the aesthetic they were looking for when they moved there.

This is going to be huge. Biggest change to the skyline in my lifetime. Really, the only obvious change to the skyline in my lifetime.

I think the Millennium Tower is going to have a much bigger impact than you anticipate. It will particularly stand out from the North and the Cambridge side of the Charles River.

This tower may be larger than that, but it's also right next to an even bigger building, vs being the new clear-cut tallest for a full half of the skyline.

Personally, I'm (not so) secretly hoping that after the taller CSC tower gets built, they come back with a revised plan to bring the smaller one into the 400'-500' range.

I love how the buildings height is highlighted by the vertical lines between the glass. So often the tall buildings we do have appear designed to diminish their true height. This one is embracing it and it's awesome. I imagine because it is aiming for such an over the top luxury client that the glass is going to look nice.

If its like the Millennium Tower, will 699' be the last occupied floor, so mechs. push it over 700'?

It's not a complaint about the building, i love it, but this would be a great place for a building with a spire! Like an exclamation point at the end of the back bay.

I think the Millennium Tower is going to have a much bigger impact than you anticipate. It will particularly stand out from the North and the Cambridge side of the Charles River.

Bring it over to the new thread...

You might be right, but I both live and work in Cambridge and it's really interesting what you can and can't see from where. My apartment has an obstructed view of 1BP, Exchange Place and several other buildings in the Financial District, but I can't see the Back Bay buildings. Go out to Mass Ave. a block away, and the Pru just dominates. Walk down toward Central Square, and it's the Hancock. From my office at Alewife, you can really only see the Hancocks and the Pru, which just tower over the trees.

MT is replacing a view of other lights/buildings. This building will replace empty space.

Not that I'm complaining about either. They're both wonderful.

If its like the Millennium Tower, will 699' be the last occupied floor, so mechs. push it over 700'?

I'm pretty sure 699 feet is only to the top of the last occupiable floor. If the rendering is even close to accurate, there is no way that this new tower will be 50 feet shorter than the Pru, which is 750 feet tall. This looks to be well over 700 feet to the top.

In addition, the article in the Globe talks about the height of Simon's Copley Place tower as 569 feet tall. That height is to definitely to the last occupiable floor. The building, if built, is supposed to top out at 625 feet.

Off topic, but how reliable is that BRA model of the city? There's some obvious things missing, so it maybe isn't up to date, but I'm noticing that the massing in place on Parcel 15 looks quite a bit smaller than what I remember the DOT having approved for the site. What is happening with that project? Up for a BRA vote any time soon?

I'm pretty sure 699 feet is only to the top of the last occupiable floor. If the rendering is even close to accurate, there is no way that this new tower will be 50 feet shorter than the Pru, which is 750 feet tall. This looks to be well over 700 feet to the top.

In addition, the article in the Globe talks about the height of Simon's Copley Place tower as 569 feet tall. That height is to definitely to the last occupiable floor. The building, if built, is supposed to top out at 625 feet.

The old renderings make it clear that the glass cladding extends past the roof to hide the roof junk from view. I assume that's what the bigger hole indicates at the top of each line of portholes, because if you look closely there's sky visible through there.

In that case, it looks like it goes up about the equivalent of four stories beyond the last line of windows. That's about 50'. They've picked vantage points where this is closer to the viewer than the Pru to accentuate its height, but it certainly appears that the heights are about the same.

EDIT: Double-checking with the other thread - they asked for "691' with mechanical penthouse." I don't know where the Globe got their info, but the 699' has never appeared with this project before and 8' is way too short for a mechanical penthouse.

Back