Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

Do you think this will have an adverse effect on the Simon Tower at Copley? It seems to me that both aspire to be the "most" luxurious premium building. I feel like this takes wind out of the Simon sails (and sales).

Copley is part apartment, part condo. Heavy on the apartments I think.

Re: Christian Science Church Center Renovation/ New Towers

Double-checking with the other thread - they asked for "691' with mechanical penthouse." I don't know where the Globe got their info, but the 699' has never appeared with this project before and 8' is way too short for a mechanical penthouse.

Your answer can be found in the Boston Zoning Code. The project as approved was to be "in Substantial Accord" with a height of 691 feet. Article 41 of the Zoning Code governing this area defines "Substantial Accord" as follows:

"Substantial Accord" means, with respect to building height, that the vertical distance from grade to the top of the structure of the last occupied floor shall not exceed the specified height limit for the applicable district or subdistrict by more than the lesser of (i) ten (10) feet or (ii) two-thirds of the average floor-to-floor height of the building, excluding the ground floor. "Substantial Accord" shall not be interpreted as allowing a Proposed Project to exceed the maximum permitted FAR.

It would make sense to move the recent discussion on this thread to the new Four Seasons Tower thread.

this tower looks nice, very excited about this..add the Copley tower and back bay is going to look awesome

I like how the architects added some cutouts at the top sides of the tower instead of a 'hat' to end the high rise. Nifty.

Tidbit from ChristianScience.com, June 11th - "Progress on the mid-rise rental apartments continues with final approvals currently under review. The Pritzker Realty Group has indicated that construction of the mid-rise apartments is expected to commence prior to the start of high-rise development and be completed in less than two years".

Walking down the street here you'll feel like when the gang in the Millennium Falcon came upon the Death Star for the first time.

7cs1.jpg

Its perfect how this and copley line up in the skyline. Until this point its been pretty legit having the Pru and Hancock both in a perfect line standing above the rest. It could have got messy but instead adding this and copley along with 111 hunting creates a row of 3 shorter towers in a line next to the big 2. Hope this all pans out and comes to fruition.

Yeah, props to the St. Germain folks for not trying too hard to kill this. I think the view down their street looks unique and awesome, but I doubt that's the aesthetic they were looking for when they moved there.
I think St Germain is entirely owned by the Christian Science church.

I was surprised how few people from here showed up on Skyscraperpage. I would have thought that thread would blow up yesterday - the first Boston thread over there to top a page...

I would show up, but the site has disabled registration fro the moment.

In the meantime, can anyone PLEASE set "Timothy R' straight?:
_________

"The financial district, yes - but Back Bay should not be in a state of permanent development.

Back Bay will be unrecognizable as these plans become more and more ambitious. That part of Boston is known and loved not only for its buildings but for its wide plazas and small open areas. You have Boston next to your name - you know it yourself.

I love BOTH NYC and Manhattan. But Boston is a city of the 17th and 18th centuries and has an integrity that is being disregarded. Of course this will bring in revenue. And there is nothing that can be done about it. I would like an administration that has more respect for and awareness of the city's unique identity."
________

Can someone educate this poor soul that;
1) Boston is most definitely a 21st century city - - far more technologically cutting edge than his beloved Manhattan
2) the Back Bay site in question was MARSH LAND in the 17th and 18th centuries

Last edited:
Excited to hear this thing is pretty much a lock now. And surprised to hear about the 26 story tower getting underway so soon. I always thought of that as a second phase of the project, and it would be a few years before it got off the ground. From the Christian Science article it seems we will see construction start later this summer on the shorter tower and then the taller one later in the fall. 888 Boylston will be underway by then so there will be a lot going on in the area.

I would show up, but the site has disabled registration fro the moment.

I'm pretty sure it's been disabled for years.

It's a thing with architecture and transportation forums. You'll never get an account on Wired New York. Good luck with The Transit Coalition.

I've been an admin at Skyscraperpage since 2000. Who wants to sign up but can't get in? I'll fix that for you ASAP.

More importantly, this tower looks gorgeous. I'll echo the point that this is basically the first tall tower in Boston to embrace its height by emphasizing its vertical lines.

That thing is going to dominate Fenway's right field view!

What's the tallest residential tower in the area at the moment? One of the Northpoint area towers? Jamaicaway Tower? Alewife projects? The Clarendon?

What's the tallest residential tower in the area at the moment? One of the Northpoint area towers? Jamaicaway Tower? Alewife projects? The Clarendon?

I think Harbor Towers, followed by Longfellow Towers. Are either of the original Millennium Place towers all residential? Because then that would top the list.

I've been an admin at Skyscraperpage since 2000. Who wants to sign up but can't get in? I'll fix that for you ASAP.

More importantly, this tower looks gorgeous. I'll echo the point that this is basically the first tall tower in Boston to embrace its height by emphasizing its vertical lines.

That thing is going to dominate Fenway's right field view!

I'd like to sign up. Tried a few times to no avail so I just gave up.

Now that I actually try it (there wasn't much to comment on on Wednesday), I can't get in either... no record of my address. Have I really been lurking that long? :)

At some point this might need to become it's own thread... ;)

Back