Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

Thanks for the pics! I honestly don't see the draw in balconies this high. I would probably soil myself if I was out on one of those (kidding/not kidding). It must be super windy up there!

aren't they essentially about neck-high (for average-ish height folks)? it'd take some serious wind to induce an elevated somersault over the railing.

ah, good call (was looking on my phone). still -- that's well above waist-high, i don't think i'd worry about accidentally taking a header. if any of these super-rich tenants are morbid, though, it'll be interesting if 1 dalton becomes the golden-gate bridge for boston's elite-and-depressed.

Thanks for the pics! I honestly don't see the draw in balconies this high. I would probably soil myself if I was out on one of those (kidding/not kidding). It must be super windy up there!

Having been up there on that top floor balcony a few months ago, yes its hella windy up there. Apparently they are installing heaters on the balcony to make it more habitable. Here's a video of the wind up there when I was walking around, I must remember to upload the rest of those videos... https://youtu.be/jE-_LK24n7Y

ah, good call (was looking on my phone). still -- that's well above waist-high, i don't think i'd worry about accidentally taking a header. if any of these super-rich tenants are morbid, though, it'll be interesting if 1 dalton becomes the golden-gate bridge for boston's elite-and-depressed.

42" is the standard height (by code) for all guardrails. Guardrails are engineered to this height and the likelihood that the have made them taller than that would be surprising. HOWEVER, as few as they have and at the cost of the building ... making custom guardrails would not be prohibitive.

cca

good to know! your expert, in-the-know angle on these types of things is one of my favorite aspects of reading aB posts and interacting with posters.

not sarcasm at all btw.

I can only imagine the racket from the wind swirling through those balconies, given how windy Boston is.

My apt is pretty up and the wind hits the window seams and some architectural flange things to create a wild howling sound almost constantly when its windy. When me or my wife work from home, people will ask on phone calls what that noise is.

After that is the pirate-ship creaking noises when the building sways on windy days. Sometimes wakes us up at night.

First world problems, I know. Sort of like when my ears don't pop and I get a headache when the elevator goes past the 40th floor.

good to know! your expert, in-the-know angle on these types of things is one of my favorite aspects of reading aB posts and interacting with posters.

not sarcasm at all btw.

Thanks friend. I try to be informative.

cca

I wish I didn't zoom in. That makes me nauseous looking at that just imagining walking up to that haha.

I’ve been on a few residential balconies likes these in Tokyo, at about the same height. It depends on how the balcony aligns with prevailing winds. They can be surprisingly calm inside, and they’re usually oriented to be parallel to prevailing winds (so, never facing north in Tokyo). But yeah, if you get vertigo when you’re at the edge of height, the transparent guard rails won’t do you any favors here.

^Plus, if you factor in the actual height versus "story" height, (building rises to 61 floors if I remember correctly, but it's 742' tall) so those balconies are actually in the 70+-story range, not in the 60's if one uses the generally accepted 10'/floor. It's really equivalent to a 74 story building isn't it?
(example: Harbor Towers is 400' and 40 stories)
I know it's apples to oranges but I figured I'd give us a new 74-story tower here. :)

Boy, is that a waste of energy!! The perimeter lights are on at the top of the Pru even during daylight!!

1) wtf are you talking about? the lights aren't on in that pic and i was by the pru both yesterday and earlier today -- during the day -- and can tell you, first-hand, they were not on.

2) those lights were retrofitted with LEDs years ago and even if the whole bank was on during the day it'd take up about as much energy as changing the channel a few times on your television.

3) maybe you're making some joke or inside reference i'm not privvy to or savvy enough to get, in which case: ignore points 1 and 2.

Back