Framingham Developments

Alta Union House coming along nicely. Great addition to downtown.

Alta Union House coming along nicely. Great addition to downtown.

It will be interesting to see the residual revival of the downtown retail and restaurant scene once all these developments are rented out.

On another note, did the Dennison complex ever get fully built out? As I recall the developer's bankruptcy was pretty complicated and brought everything to a halt there but it was supposed to be revived a few years ago. It didn't look it last time I drove through there.

This building is massive. Great to see lots of apartments going up next to the mbta stop.

Across the train tracks from the building above. Lots of apartments going up downtown.

Last edited:
I count 1,109 apartments under construction right now. All but the 175 in Shoppers World are close to transit and those have a bus stop that goes to the train station. The nobscot apartments are under review now too which also have a bus stop and should bring about 200 more.

I count 1,109 apartments under construction right now. All but the 175 in Shoppers World are close to transit and those have a bus stop that goes to the train station. The nobscot apartments are under review now too which also have a bus stop and should bring about 200 more.

If you call the MWRTA transit, I guess. Bus 1 does stop nearby the Shoppers World site and eventually ends up at the Woodland MBTA stop, and several other buses go by it, so a stop could be added there. There's also Peter Pan bus service and the Logan Express nearby although I don't know how useful to commuters that is.

If you call the MWRTA transit, I guess. Bus 1 does stop nearby the Shoppers World site and eventually ends up at the Woodland MBTA stop, and several other buses go by it, so a stop could be added there. There's also Peter Pan bus service and the Logan Express nearby although I don't know how useful to commuters that is.

Logan express is acutally pretty well used by people working at the airport.

Logan express is acutally pretty well used by people working at the airport.

You know I thought about that, didn't think it was realistic given the regular prices but there is a discounted fare (10 rides for $75 that expires although doesn't say how long).

I was saying theres nearly 1,000 apartments u/c within walking distance of the commuter rail. Then the 175 at shoppers world not within walking distance also have the bus that goes there. So the transit oriented housing is the apartments not using the mwrta.

The Buckley

210 units close to downtown and MBTA commuter rail as well as MWRTA bus stop. Includes standalone restaurant, as well as gym, pool, lounge...etc.

The-Buckley-4.jpg

The-Buckley-3.jpg

The-Buckley-2.jpg

The-Buckley-1.jpg

The architecture of societal malaise

The Buckley is close to the CR stop but probably too far to walk (GM says 1.1 miles). You could of course take the bus. This was one of those eyesore dead retail blocks, so anything new is a improvement. That's sort of the same as to that project in Nobscot.

Still have serious doubts about the viability... it starts at $1800 for a studio.

Yea its on the outer edge of downtown but theres lots being built downtown too. Im not sure what people will be willing to spend on all of these, but 1000 units is going to take pressure off of other units. That should actually make a dent. Im hoping that these absorb the higher rents and the lesser quality buildings that were trying to charge crazy amounts when there was no supply are now forced to charge less because people will just move to these new units. Im hoping some affordble housing starts to come online too, because Framingham should not be getting as expensive as it is. These new units should help though... I hope.

Im hoping some affordble housing starts to come online too, because Framingham should not be getting as expensive as it is. These new units should help though... I hope.

I wouldn't call Framingham cheap; but a studio isn't going to be anywhere near $1800/month.

Should note that Framingham literally had a ban on MUDs from the mid 80s to about 2015 or so when Avalon was able to get it repealed to build near the Wayland border.

Ooh gotcha. I just looked and most studio to 1 beds are $1500, theres a couple for $1,800 as well. Theres a studio as low as $1,000 too, but theyre about $1,500 on avg. So Im hoping with over 1,000 units coming online if people can spend a couple hundred more for a brand new apartment, hopefully people will have to lower rents to make theirs attractive.

We wont know until it happens. Im hopeful though because towns/cities like this along the CR need to keep building and need to give people the option of lower rent at a reasonable commute or people are really going to be screwed. This really needs to work because ppl are running out of options. One good thing though is that framingham has lots of really cheap condos.

EP-180117779.jpg

EP-180117779.jpg

“Developer Vaios Theodorakos proposes building a pair of residential buildings behind the Amsden Building on Concord Street to house 96 units. ”

“Along Concord, Kendall and Frederick streets, Theodorakos proposes erecting a pair of three-story buildings in the existing parking lot. They would hold 96 dwellings — a mix of 45 one-bedrooms and 51 two-bedroom units.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.metrowestdailynews.com/news/20180116/framingham-six-story-building-with-75-units-planned-downtown%3Ftemplate%3Dampart

-The buildings above are going behind the building shown below in the parking lot.

Last edited:
apartments.amsden.downtown.fran_.2019103-1024x683.jpg

“Representatives of VTT Management held a ribbon-cutting ceremony Wednesday for the new Amsden Apartments.”

“Located in the historic Amsden Building at 2 Kendall St., the project offers 24 one- and two-bedroom apartments”

“The apartments are located on the second and third floors of the building, which holds several retail tenants at street level: Vietnamese restaurant Pho Dakao, BRZ Insurance, a hair salon and a clothing store.”

“The Amsden Apartments are one piece of a broad vision to improve the city's downtown. VTT Management controls some 445 apartments in the area, many of which were rehabbed in recent years.”

“In the future, the company will develop another 76-unit building at the corner of Proctor Avenue and Union Avenue. It is tentatively scheduled to open to tenants in September 2020.”
https://www.metrowestdailynews.com/news/20190328/amsden-apartments-hit-market-in-downtown-framingham?template=ampart

68 South st

AR-170507715.jpg

EP-170507715.jpg

AR-181229994.jpg

“As construction is nearing completion on a 16-unit residential development on South Street in Framingham, a new proposal calls for replacing the building at right with a larger building designed to match the first project.”

“Zammuto, of Legacy Construction of Newton, is already building a three-story, 19,000 square-foot residential building at 68 South St. Now, he's proposing an 8-unit development next door at 74 South St.”

http://m.wbjournal.com/article/20181220/NEWS01/181229994/framingham-developer-adding-another-residential-project

The lot:

74 South st goes here which is next door to 68 South st
streetview

Last edited:

Back