Franklin Park - White Stadium Renovation

shmessy

Reaction score
Looks like a new NSWL franchise may be starting in Boston before Kraft finally achieves his long awaited new Revs stadium. And this doesn't look like a long shot either: "......The “Boston Unity” group is a female-led group of investors formed last year after the NWSL announced expansion plans. Two teams, from the Bay Area in California and Salt Lake Utah City, have been approved to begin play next year, with Boston a viable contender for one of the remaining two slots. The RFP process is public and open to any private bidder. The Boston Unity group and the city have been in discussions for months, and there is a mutual attraction that makes the soccer group a logical potential partner for the city....."

SPORTS BUSINESSWhite Stadium to get a renovation, with an eye to luring a women’s pro soccer team
By Michael Silverman Globe Staff,Updated April 25, 2023, 31 minutes ago

Mayor Michelle Wu acknowledged that White Stadium has been in serious disrepair for some time.
Mayor Michelle Wu acknowledged that White Stadium has "been in serious disrepair for some time."DAVID L. RYAN/GLOBE STAFF

Last edited:
Wow, this has not gotten any attention. Its almost like everyone has no comment because they don't think it will happen???
You might be right!
But with the excitement of Women's Soccer events going on this week in Australia and New Zealand , the political unveiling of this proposal is going out to the public this month.

There was a public meeting on July 13 and it appears the usual issues are going to get in the way of this partnership.
traffic/ gridlock on game days (20 weekend events a year),
environmental impact
And th ebig one, lack of public access, including Boston Public Schools.

I think the public access issue will be a deal breaker. Being a public facility means open to the public and it appears from the proposal it looks like any event will be under control of the Boston Unity Soccer Patners LLC. Right now I think the stdium is open to the Public during the day under little suppervision, people can run the track and run steps in seating area and use the field when not in use by any other event. But now there will be a controlling entity and it appears the local folks don't like it from the comments in a couple of the local online

Heres the proposal link White Stadium Technical Proposal
The Dorchester Repoter, local coverage link A pitch for White Stadium renovation: Women’s soccer team backers eye a public-private partnership deal
The Bay State Banner, local coverage link Residents voice concern over White Stadium proposal

Untitled5.png

Untitled6.png

Untitled7.png

Untitled9.png

Untitled8.png

Last edited:
lol come on

Attachments

• 03DF880A-67B5-4982-B683-95265DE279FA.jpeg
    03DF880A-67B5-4982-B683-95265DE279FA.jpeg
    362.1 KB · Views: 124
Is that exactly what they did at Foxboro? I wouldn't call the Foxboro commuter rail rapid transit.
I believe that Foxboro is an insane and humiliating disaster. During the 2026 World Cup, the entire planet will see our embarrassment of a football stadium.

How about Parcel 3P on Tremont? Wouldn't that be a great spot for a 10,000 seat Stadium that can be used for other events?
View attachment 40811
That might be a good spot, but why would you build a garage there? That's one block from the Orange Line, Commuter Rail, and major bus station (Ruggles). It's a short walk from another major bus station (Nubian); an even shorter walk to the Green Line; and steps from probably the best and busiest bike path through the city. Plus it would be in walking distance of much of the community it's meant to serve. Why build a football-field-sized parking garage?

Because every proposal on this site has had a garage in one form or another so there must be a need for parking in this area. Also, it is covering the existing parking lot that I think is utilized by the Whittier Health center, the High School and I think it's over flow for the Police Station. It could be public parking facility for the continued use of these three local entities and make a profit off those that attend games including players and such or an option for new local residential that doesn't want to park on the street during winter storms. Also I believe the site is high water table (Stony Brook runs thru the site) and toxic soil as well so the garage will help with capping the site.

I believe that Foxboro is an insane and humiliating disaster. During the 2026 World Cup, the entire planet will see our embarrassment of a football stadium.

What is it about Gillette that makes it an embarrassment? Location and lack of solid transit aside, it stacks up very well when compared to the other soccer stadiums that will be used for the 2026 World Cup.

Confused by this comment. Are you saying that the lack of transit options to Foxboro is embarrassing, or that Gillette Stadium is an embarrassment? I agree the location and lack of multi-modal transportation infrastructure is a massive downside, but the stadium, itself, is fine -- "good," even. It's not like folks in, say, Barcelona watching the '26 World Cup games held in Foxboro are going to watch the footage and be like, "What? There's not much in the way of public transportation to get to/from the stadium?!?!? It's that far from Boston?!?!?!" They'll see a modern, fairly amenity-rich venue with good sight-lines and up-to-date amenities.

Why would you build a soccer stadium with no rapid transit connection?
Because there's already a stadium there! The superstructure and basics are already in place. They can take this opportunity to renovate it properly at the cost of a few days a year of having to exercise elsewhere, or it will just continue to fade into an urban ruin. The city should jump all over this.

I personally think the 10,000 attendance number they're aiming for is ambitious, at least at the outset, anyways. They'll be able to work the traffic/transportation issues out while it grows.

During the 2026 World Cup, the entire planet will see our embarrassment of a football stadium.

Just like the world did in 1994 when the World Cup was in Foxboro? In the worst stadium in all of sports at the time....

Confused by this comment. Are you saying that the lack of transit options to Foxboro is embarrassing, or that Gillette Stadium is an embarrassment? I agree the location and lack of multi-modal transportation infrastructure is a massive downside, but the stadium, itself, is fine -- "good," even. It's not like folks in, say, Barcelona watching the '26 World Cup games held in Foxboro are going to watch the footage and be like, "What? There's not much in the way of public transportation to get to/from the stadium?!?!? It's that far from Boston?!?!?!" They'll see a modern, fairly amenity-rich venue with good sight-lines and up-to-date amenities.
No, I’m saying that a person from Barcelona will be shocked when they go to “Boston” to see the World Cup and find themselves in stranded in a Rodeway Inn on Route 1.

What is it about Gillette that makes it an embarrassment? Location and lack of solid transit aside, it stacks up very well when compared to the other soccer stadiums that will be used for the 2026 World Cup.
The things that you put aside are exactly what make it an embarrassment.

No, I’m saying that a person from Barcelona will be shocked when they go to “Boston” to see the World Cup and find themselves in stranded in a Rodeway Inn on Route 1.

Levi's Stadium is further from San Fran than Gillette is from Boston and they're hosting WC games, too. Are the good people of SF also going to be suffering global "embarrassment?"

AFC Wimbledon plays in Norbiton -- nowhere near Wimbledon. Should they, too, bow their heads in shame?

It's really not so unsual for stadiums associated with whatever "city center" to be nowhere near that city.

I don't think anyone who watches or attends WC games at Gillette will be disgusted by the proximity to Boston. And I don't feel anyone around here will have cause for "shame."

As someone who lives (essentially) in Boston and goes to games of all the time, yeah I'd love it if Gillette was closer to downtown. While we're at it, I wish I had a pony. Big deal.

This seems like a "you problem," which you can choose to get over or not. Whatever you do won't change the fact(s) that this isn't terribly unheard of or embarrassing to anyone (other than, apparently, you. Good luck with that).

Last edited:

Back