Gables Seaport (née Waterside Place 1B) | 505 Congress Street | Seaport

Are those precast floorplates that get lifted up and bolted in? Thats pretty cool if they are and theyre very thin too saving space.

I like the different elevations here. Dense neighborhoods with different elevation changes make it much more interesting.

The facade looks GREAT. The depth really makes this dynamic. Love having a new-er -ish facade style/mix of colors. This is coming out very good.

The facade looks GREAT. The depth really makes this dynamic. Love having a new-er -ish facade style/mix of colors. This is coming out very good.

Wow, interesting. I actually had the complete opposite reaction. I think this looks uber cheap and terrible. Very unfortunate.

I can see the shed comparison, especially in the closeup on the window. Looks like something you might throw together in your garage with materials from Home Depot. But I really like the contrast. Black muntins always looks good. I think this has the potential to look sharp, especially from a distance.

I can see the shed comparison, especially in the closeup on the window. Looks like something you might throw together in your garage with materials from Home Depot.

Precisely. Checkout the boat shed in the foreground of BeeLine's photo:
Its weathered cladding is infinitely more interesting than this new construction.

But I really like the contrast. Black muntins always looks good. I think this has the potential to look sharp, especially from a distance.

Nothing wrong with the contrast. But there's plenty wrong with the execution. And this is the result of an engineered, industrial process, not some DIY hack-job.

Last edited:
What?? Come on guys, boat shed, seriously? If you look closely enough at most any building, or person, for that matter, you're probably gonna see some flaws. Stand back and those flaws tend to disappear. I'm with Stick on this, the facade stands in nice contrast to it's immediate neighbors and the Seaport in general. The Gables will be a great addition to the neighborhood.

I think this looks good, but the benefits are (as usual, IMO) in the urbanism. The project will add a new staircase between Congress and WTC Ave, which I don't think has been mentioned, plus it already makes Congress and WTC feel more enclosed and urban, even with the huge A-2 parking lot next door.

I can see the shed comparison, especially in the closeup on the window. Looks like something you might throw together in your garage with materials from Home Depot. But I really like the contrast. Black muntins always looks good. I think this has the potential to look sharp, especially from a distance.

I guess anything can look decent if you look from far enough away, but to me, that doesn't mean much. I hope I warm up to it, but I'm just not a fan of the facade right now. Good to see that some people are fans of this though. A divided opinion is better than a universally negative opinion.

If you look closely enough at most any building, or person, for that matter, you're probably gonna see some flaws. Stand back and those flaws tend to disappear.

Fair enough. The Japanese refer to this as wabi-sabi, perfection defined by imperfection.

But take a look at the rippled white panels (top row) in BeeLine's photo:

This isn't an antique bowl or lichen-pocked stone wall. This is new construction. The ripples are evidence of poor material, poor workmanship, or both. Surely, if this were installed anywhere on your home, you'd have a little chat with the contractor.

The contrasting shades and dimension of the facade are just fine.

Last edited:

Beton, what you see as ripples in the panels as poor materials or workmanship, or both, I see as part of the design. Granted, I said if you look closely enough you'll see flaws, but in this case, looking closely at the ripples indicates, to me anyway, that the ripples are not flaws at all but a deliberate decorative design of the panel. I might be wrong, I'm certainly not an expert in construction, but it's just how I see it.

The ripples do seem to be the design intent but appear to me to be extremely poorly executed/installed. Can't imagine this would pass BPDA inspection, is the VMU on site?

Back