General Boston Discussion

State Street would be a great place to start converting buildings to residential, but definitely keep the first floor retail.

Just a note; Its funny how the comment section gets hy-jacked into the bike lane complaints in every development story in the Globe. So sad that the people have negative comments about the future of Boston. I enjoyed downtown Boston with thousands of others this past holiday week, even with all the (Blue) bike traffic!

Boston to try to convert empty downtown offices into residences by slashing their property taxes for three decades

“Mayor Wu today announced a proposal to open up empty commercial space downtown to residential use by offering 75% off standard residential tax rates for up to 29 years for building owners - and by setting up a new office to speed conversions through the city's normal development approval process.

The "Downtown Office to Residential Conversion Pilot Program, " which will begin accepting applications from owners of empty office space this fall, will require building owners who are accepted into the program to rent or sell up to 20% of units as affordable - and to give the city 2% of the revenue they receive if they sell their buildings.

The city would collect the reduced taxes through a "payment in lieu of taxes" agreement, of the sort more typically used to collect at least some tax-like money from non-profit organizations that own buildings in Boston - in a process that would require approval of specific building conversions by the BPDA and possibly other city agencies, such as ISD. The BPDA will set up an ombudsperson's office "to help with streamlining the approvals process" through City Hall.

In a statement, Wu said the move would not only add to the city's housing stock, it would help generate new foot traffic for all the downtown businesses that once relied heavily on such traffic from office workers who now increasingly work at home…”

https://www.universalhub.com/2023/boston-try-convert-empty-downtown-offices

Condo development has fallen off a cliff in Boston.
mount-carmel-church-13900xx4485-2990-92-0.jpg

“New condo development in Boston has slowed dramatically, with real estate developers unable to find lenders to fund their projects. Some are resorting to selling their properties, or to converting their units to rental apartments in order to land financing.

Higher interest rates and economic uncertainty have hurt all kinds of housing development, but the fall-off in condo projects has been especially pronounced.”

https://news.google.com/articles/CBMigAFodHRwczovL3d3dy5uYmNib3N0b24uY29tL2Jvc3Rvbi1idXNpbmVzcy1qb3VybmFsL2NvbmRvLWRldmVsb3BtZW50LWhhcy1mYWxsZW4tb2ZmLWEtY2xpZmYtaW4tYm9zdG9uLWJsYW1lLWhpZ2hlci1yYXRlcy8zMDkwODc5L9IBhgFodHRwczovL3d3dy5uYmNib3N0b24uY29tL2Jvc3Rvbi1idXNpbmVzcy1qb3VybmFsL2NvbmRvLWRldmVsb3BtZW50LWhhcy1mYWxsZW4tb2ZmLWEtY2xpZmYtaW4tYm9zdG9uLWJsYW1lLWhpZ2hlci1yYXRlcy8zMDkwODc5Lz9hbXA9MQ?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US:en

Only the rich or the poor can afford housing, but not the middle class, has been the case in Cambridge for decades. The rest of the area inside I-495 is catching up and becoming that way, as you said. Maybe eastern Mass will become a specialized niche community.

How can the poor afford housing but not the middleclass in Mass?

I don't have any photos because my phone died. However, I walked from the Theater District to the South End and back to Downtown Crossing last Friday. The city was beautiful and full of people. I had a beer at the new Trillium Beer garden on the Common, and just sitting there watching the squirrels and enjoying the shade was excellent. I had a burger at Back Deck in Downtown Crossing while sitting outside on their street dining area, and the people watching was perfect! I was extremely impressed by how many people were out and about walking around and just enjoying the afternoon. There were a few empty storefronts, but most seemed occupied. I think I only encountered one or two homeless people. In general, Boston seemed clean and vibrant, and I was really happy to enjoy that.

I don't have any photos because my phone died. However, I walked from the Theater District to the South End and back to Downtown Crossing last Friday. The city was beautiful and full of people. I had a beer at the new Trillium Beer garden on the Common, and just sitting there watching the squirrels and enjoying the shade was excellent. I had a burger at Back Deck in Downtown Crossing while sitting outside on their street dining area, and the people watching was perfect! I was extremely impressed by how many people were out and about walking around and just enjoying the afternoon. There were a few empty storefronts, but most seemed occupied. I think I only encountered one or two homeless people. In general, Boston seemed clean and vibrant, and I was really happy to enjoy that.
Boston is beautiful, vibrant, and clean compared to San Francisco, Portland OR, Seattle, Baltimore, Detroit and some others.

Boston is beautiful, vibrant, and clean compared to San Francisco, Portland OR, Seattle, Baltimore, Detroit and some others.

I just came back from a weekend in Philadelphia, and while I do like Philly a lot, it is quite shocking how dirty the city is compared to Boston. I really take it for granted sometimes.

I took a walk around the city yesterday afternoon and couldn’t help but admire how many people were out and about enjoying it. The walkable urbanism is palpable and continues to improve year after year. Having visited a lot of European cities this year alone (Rome, Naples, Dubrovnik, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Kotor, Corfu, Kristiansand, Alesund, Haugesaund, Dublin), the quality of what one sees and experiences in Boston is commendable. I’m so happy to call this place home.
IMG_8853.jpeg

IMG_8860.jpeg
IMG_8870.jpeg
IMG_8868.jpeg

IMG_8861.jpeg
IMG_8865.jpeg
IMG_8856.jpeg

Maybe there's a chance that we'll see something else get built at Bulfinch crossing instead of that lab bulding?

from your keyboard to James Arthur Jemison's ears/eyes (although I guess at this point it's not really BPDA's decision)!

I've been forum member for a while now, and remember when it seemed like the number of "recently updated" threads on new development numbered a small handful. Over the past decade, that list has grown and now it's almost impossible to keep up with everything, good and bad.

However, it's also amazing to see and feel the difference "on the ground" as it were. I commute from Seaport to North Station and I decided to do that on foot last night. What amazed me was how pedestrian-activated nearly every step of that journey was. The seaport was teeming with people, both residents and visitors, with a constant flow coming over the Seaport Blvd. bridge to/from downtown. Once across the bridge, I followed one of the greenway paths to the Trillium Brewery thing, passing tourists and residents a like, and noted a few people having a couple drinks. From there, I continued along the greenway, passing some families playing with dogs, and crossed to the downtown side of Atlantic avenue near Quincy Market and the carousel. From there, I followed Atlantic Avenue, with brief dip on New Chardon to get to Canal Street, and ultimately, North Station.

For almost the entire way, there were other people walking around, ground-level park, retail, and dining options, and a general sense of life and being in an "alive" city. Ironically, the "deadest" area was immediately outside Quincy Market, where the buildings that previously protected the market from the highway now form a barrier to its inclusion in the rest of the city. Canal street was also relatively quiet compared to other places, but the new North Station entrance and surrounding environs have a vitality they didn't before.

When I completed my journey, I was amazed at the contrast from the early 2000's when I previously worked in the Seaport and commuted to Beacon Hill. I frequently made the same walk, or some variation of it back then, and at that time it felt like Quincy Market was the ONLY area of life along that trip.

When I completed my journey, I was amazed at the contrast from the early 2000's when I previously worked in the Seaport and commuted to Beacon Hill. I frequently made the same walk, or some variation of it back then, and at that time it felt like Quincy Market was the ONLY area of life along that trip.

Totally agree! We are NOT perfect, but you have to admit that Boston does a lot of things right for an American City. I've seen the transformation since the late 80's when I moved here, and it's only gotten better and better. (Although, certainly more expensive and less obtainable for the average person to live within the city proper.) However, I'll take the upscale "gentrification" over the Combat Zone and so many other areas that were kind of sketchy back in the 80's and 90's. If we had a stellar functioning urban transportation system, people could enjoy the city from far-flung destinations and take the train home to more affordable places that ring the city. Of course, you can do that right now, but it's not as easy and convenient as it should be.

The whole area near the garden including canal always seems like dead zone outside of game days and some weekend nights. Feel like there's an opportunity to better utilize this area.

Just recently filled out a rental application to rent an apartment and asked the Group how much will rent go up each year based on renewal. 1-5% or maybe 10% (nobody could afford a 5-10% rent increase each year) Corporations could not afford that type of increase in expenses on yearly basis.

The apartments cover no utilities not even water or sewage.

Anybody else experiencing such high costs of living in Mass?

Just recently filled out a rental application to rent an apartment and asked the Group how much will rent go up each year based on renewal. 1-5% or maybe 10% (nobody could afford a 5-10% rent increase each year) Corporations could not afford that type of increase in expenses on yearly basis.

The apartments cover no utilities not even water or sewage.

Anybody else experiencing such high costs of living in Mass?

That must have been a pretty nice rock you were living under.

Back