General Infrastructure

Yeah, nobody wants to ride the MBTA because you get charged a "toll" every time you pass through the fare gates.

You got a point. Though, people already in Boston can easily walk, buy a car, bike, taxi, uber, etc to many of the areas because it is already so density populated. The subway fare isn't a "toll" per say. Trade/Services/Goods exchanges can still happen.

For people outside of Boston in the outer ring of the tolls, don't have much options. Their reliance on cars is more inelastic than a city person's reliance on the subway. More many, car is the only option, so if that price of the toll is increased, it is essentially a tax on movement of goods/services, which is why those people are more angry, when tolls are increased by $0.25, than city people, who get a Subway fare increase of $0.25.

Uh, we're talking about highway tolls right? Pretty sure people in other towns can move plenty of goods and services without passing through a highway toll booth. Just as easily as someone in Boston can walk around without using the T. Maybe more so.

Transportation costs money. It ain't free. Cars cost money to own and operate. Hasn't stopped people from using them.

The idea that somehow tolls are a "tax" is the same as saying that T fares are a "tax". They're part of the cost of transportation. If you don't pay it through tolls/fares then you pay it some other way. Probably through higher income or property taxes.

Uh, we're talking about highway tolls right? Pretty sure people in other towns can move plenty of goods and services without passing through a highway toll booth. Just as easily as someone in Boston can walk around without using the T. Maybe more so.

Transportation costs money. It ain't free. Cars cost money to own and operate. Hasn't stopped people from using them.

The idea that somehow tolls are a "tax" is the same as saying that T fares are a "tax". They're part of the cost of transportation. If you don't pay it through tolls/fares then you pay it some other way. Probably through higher income or property taxes.

Yes. Highway Tolls. I wouldn't say it is a "tax" per say, but it kinda acts like a tax on movement of goods. People can take the other roads, but there are also tolls on the exits of Pike as well.

When you buy food from a grocery store, do you call the cost of purchasing groceries a "tax" too? A tax on eating!

There has to be a break even point in the price you charge. Where the price of the toll doesn't disuade people from coming into town or hampering business, but is enough for them to consider alternate modes of transportation. For those inside 128, they likely don't need to get on a highway, they can move around on state routes & local roads, and where feasible, on mass transit. For those that live outside of 128 & are reliant on the cars, my hope would be that the commuter rail, or outskirts of rapid transit, become more attractive as park & ride option. Ideally, I'd like to see rapid transit extend out to 128 in all directions to make this a more viable option. Lastly, I would think you could charge a cheaper toll for the HOV lane (or re-engineered carpool lane) that would encourage fewer single occupant vehicle trips. This would make commuter buses a more attractive option & encourage people to carpool, which would hopefully consolidate the number of cars entering the city & requiring parking. All in a little pie-in-the-sky, I know.

Precisely.

This discussion has gotten asinine.

I didn't mean that it is fully a tax. It can be treated as one for some people like how tariffs reduce trade. Of course, not every barrier is a tax, but since tolls are collected to the government and then it is distributed via maintaining or financing infrastructure projects. Then, yes....It is similar to a tax, but not a tax.

A promising start to fix the MBTA's problems?

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/02/20/gov-baker-to-announce-mbta-recovery-plan/

"Gov. Charlie Baker has assembled a special commission to spearhead recovering the MBTA which has struggled to provide consistent service through the brutal stretch of winter weather.
“We haven’t yet dug out from this storm, but it’s time to dig in as to why this happened,” Secretary of Transportation Stephanie Pollack said at a press conference Friday.
The all-volunteer commission is tasked to provide diagnostic review of the MBTA’s operations and compare them to other transit systems. The commission will report its findings by March 31.
Baker said the panel’s findings will help fix the MBTA’s ongoing problems and create “21st-century transportation that we all deserve.”"

Baker is right on a 21st century transportation. It looks like we are on our way there soon :rolleyes:

IDK if there is a thread for it but they blew up the Long Island Bridge today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGnoBhOdWhI&t=19

All I can think of is Marvin the Martian in that clip.

wheres-the-kaboom-theres-supposed-to-be-an-earth-shattering-kaboom-marvin-the-martian-12-21-12.jpg

I saw 7 News' tweet that they were going to live stream it. I tuned in and the feed (video above) was just a silent helicopter feed. All of a sudden at 11:01 AM poof and down it went.

State outlines improvements to congested I-495-Mass Pike interchange
Sunday, March 29, 2015
By Donna Boynton TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF
donna.boynton@telegram.com

WESTBORO — The state Department of Transportation is considering three alternatives for improving the heavily congested, hazardous Interstate 495-Massachusetts Turnpike intersection, ranging in cost from $165 million to $285 million

They are:

• A one-lane flyover at I-90 West to I-495 South that would connect to I-495 by adding a left lane within the existing median. The additional lane would prevent the need for vehicles to merge into high-speed traffic. The new lane would eventually merge into the three-lane highway on I-495; and a two-lane flyover from I-495 North to I-90 East that would connect with I-90 in the form of an acceleration lane and eventually merge into the existing three-lane highway. This improvement would eliminate the weaving that currently exists in the toll plaza area. The total cost for those two fly-overs is estimated to be about $162 million, not including right-of-way acquisitions, mitigation or construction services.

• A one-lane elevated ramp from I-90 West to I-495 North that would cross over the existing CSX/commuter rail and connect as an acceleration lane before merging onto the existing three lanes of I-90. This design would eliminate weaving at the toll plaza, and modify the existing loop ramp. It is estimated to cost about $216 million.

• A more complex plan that incorporates the previous two as well as three new ramps. Those new ramps are a one-lane flyover crossing over I-495 North to I-90 West connecting to I-495 as an acceleration lane before merging into the existing three-lane highway; a one-lane ramp connecting I-495 South to I-90 West; and a one-lane loop ramp crossing over the existing CSX/commuter line connecting I-495 North to I-90 West. This concept design would eliminate the need for the existing toll plaza connector bridge over I-495, as well as the existing loop ramps at the interchange. This plan is estimated to cost $285 million.

http://www.telegram.com/article/20150329/NEWS/303299822/1116

Wait, wait. Just as important from that article:

The agency expects the work to begin in 2021, with a completion date four years later.

How 'bout dem Olympics!??!

State outlines improvements to congested I-495-Mass Pike interchange
Sunday, March 29, 2015
By Donna Boynton TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF
donna.boynton@telegram.com

WESTBORO — The state Department of Transportation is considering three alternatives for improving the heavily congested, hazardous Interstate 495-Massachusetts Turnpike intersection, ranging in cost from $165 million to $285 million

They are:

• A one-lane flyover at I-90 West to I-495 South that would connect to I-495 by adding a left lane within the existing median. The additional lane would prevent the need for vehicles to merge into high-speed traffic. The new lane would eventually merge into the three-lane highway on I-495; and a two-lane flyover from I-495 North to I-90 East that would connect with I-90 in the form of an acceleration lane and eventually merge into the existing three-lane highway. This improvement would eliminate the weaving that currently exists in the toll plaza area. The total cost for those two fly-overs is estimated to be about $162 million, not including right-of-way acquisitions, mitigation or construction services.

• A one-lane elevated ramp from I-90 West to I-495 North that would cross over the existing CSX/commuter rail and connect as an acceleration lane before merging onto the existing three lanes of I-90. This design would eliminate weaving at the toll plaza, and modify the existing loop ramp. It is estimated to cost about $216 million.

• A more complex plan that incorporates the previous two as well as three new ramps. Those new ramps are a one-lane flyover crossing over I-495 North to I-90 West connecting to I-495 as an acceleration lane before merging into the existing three-lane highway; a one-lane ramp connecting I-495 South to I-90 West; and a one-lane loop ramp crossing over the existing CSX/commuter line connecting I-495 North to I-90 West. This concept design would eliminate the need for the existing toll plaza connector bridge over I-495, as well as the existing loop ramps at the interchange. This plan is estimated to cost $285 million.

http://www.telegram.com/article/20150329/NEWS/303299822/1116

For that kind of money why not just make a stacked interchange with flyover ramps? You can widen the highway to 4 full travel lanes in each direction (with a full breakdown lane in each direction) for a 3 mile stretch - 1.5 before and 1.5 after?

Back