General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

^^Probably because the stops are not that far apart. Regardless this is a stupid idea. I wish the city can collectively boycott the MBTA for a month until the incompetent management team gets fired. Every single one of them. They spend more money giving raises than saving money.

So, why the cuts for BU West and East ? This can't be based on ridership.

Look at the number of MBTA job losses vs. the ridership loss. There was no objective proportionality analysis in all of this; whatever the cost to ridership/service/Boston's ability to be a functioning city, T patronage will go on.

A few thoughts...
1) The T could afford to lose some workers, I think doing so would make the ones that remain have to be more efficient.

2)Mass transit is a horrible thing to cut, because even if it runs at a loss, the economic (dare I say) stimulus it causes are huge. Developments around stops, restaurant patronage, commuters, tourists. The people that get hurt by this the most will not be suburbanites that can say 'this sucks I'll just have to drive in a park in case I run late at work' No, it will be the hardworking people within city limits, without cars that work as service workers. if they can't get to work, the employer wont/can't keep them

3) The station skipping on the B line is actually a right move by efficiency standards. Having taken the B line countless times, those stops are just train lengths apart. The T creeps up, stops, misses a light and adds 4 minutes to its trip at several stops that are totally unnecessary. The driver might as well hold the BU kids hands crossing the street.

4) The T's prices have been kept artificially low, and I am not opposed to a rate increase, though only moderate. I think monthly cards for Boston and Cambridge residents should be set lower than others because much more people rely on it for more than just commuting. I am thinking mainly about inner city poor here, where fare increases would be felt most. The Hingham people can suck it up for all I care.

That being said, I do think this is largely an idle threat made by the T to pressure legislators to give money, which it may not deserve (talkin to you Dan G.) but it does need. Ideally, the state should properly fund the T so it can maintain and run itself, while expanding to more areas. When this is properly done (if ever) the state should make it cost prohibitive to drive into the city proper. (smart tolls? or London-esque rates?)

The T has a fundamental flaw, that I hope the state will recognize and resolve in all this mess, and that is that its current focus is about jobs, and not about THE JOB of moving people to where they need to be efficiently. (I mean seriously, Copley, Arlington and Kenmore are beyond embarrassing in their overruns)

/\ I agree with everything he said. /\

(I mean seriously, Copley, Arlington and Kenmore are beyond embarrassing in their overruns)
It's just a cynical ploy to plunder the public treasury. But you know, it's always been that. State functionaries enriching their racketeer friends and collecting kickbacks for their efforts. There's plenty to go around.

For most transit agencies in the United States, which are heavily unionized, if they were to write a mission statement that is reflective of what they do, they would indicate that they exist for the purpose of serving their employees and vendors. Providing quality transportation for the public is usually toward the bottom of their list of priorities.

For most transit agencies in the United States, which are heavily unionized, if they were to write a mission statement that is reflective of what they do, they would indicate that they exist for the purpose of serving their employees and vendors. Providing quality transportation for the public is usually toward the bottom of their list of priorities.

What's sad is that there's no cynicism at all in this statement.

All I've heard from acquaintances within the MBTA/MBCR the last few days is how unfair it is to "them" to be even discuss employee separations in this economy.

When I asked one mid-level manager, "What about the cuts in service to the public?", I got an awkward silence, followed by an, "Oh. Of course, well that would be awful too."

The disassociation with reality at the T is shocking, even to me.

i agree with the cuts of some of stations on the B and E branch. the few times i have taken a ride on them it was painfuly slow. There are just plain to many stops on them, and if you can save some money by re-orgainzing those branches, be my guest.

(I mean seriously, Copley, Arlington and Kenmore are beyond embarrassing in their overruns)

I think we can add Maverick to this list (initial proposed completion in 2005). And the outdoor portion of the Blue Line, person-sized chunks of concrete have spalled onto the track-bed.

Eliminating stops doesnt speed things up. Making the traffic lights respond does.

FOUR silver line buses (3 outbound, 1 inbound) waiting at the retarded light, which was green only long enough for three to make it

IMG_8556.jpg

And also
IMG_8558.jpg

^ i head that was going to happen, i didn't realize it was so soon.

What was wrong with the current stairs?

What was wrong with the current stairs?

They actually had giant chunks missing from the treads.

Now, the fun part will be to see how long the contractors can take to complete the job, and what delays they'll "discover" along the way. This would be a three week job--at most--in the private sector. They were just iron stairs dropped into place, not concrete or anything. A week to demo, a week to remediate the walls/floor and prep, another week to install new.

I'm betting August.

Now, the fun part will be to see how long the contractors can take to complete the job, and what delays they'll "discover" along the way.

I'm betting August.

I have it from a source that the columns holding up the (historically landmarked) headhouse were in much worse condition than was first observed. Delays, ho!

A few notes on the impending financial collapse of the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
April 13th, 2009
by Bill

This is a crisis I knew had to come,
Destroying the balance I?d kept.
Doubting, unsettling and turning around,
Wondering what will come next.

- Joy Division ?Passover?

What better way to begin a post on the financial ruin of the MBTA than with a quote from the band that made hearing about urban decay and alienation enjoyable.

The T has been doomed for years. That much is certain. While many have, and continue to lay the blame at his feet, Dan Grabauskas could not possibly change the course of the authority?s fortunes. The problems it faces are structural on a level that cannot be easily remedied.

Problem 1: The MBTA is not in the business of moving passengers

Really. The primary role of the MBTA is to create jobs. Jobs for MBTA employees. Ex-MBTA employees. The agency is notorious for letting wages spiral out of control and for offering extraordinarily generous benefits to former employees. Want to retire with a full pension after 23 years, no matter how old you are? Work for the MBTA.

Want to make $100,000 more than the General Manager of the MBTA who himself makes $100,000 more than the Governor of Massachusetts?

Be the ex-General Manager of the MBTA - and manage the MBTA Retirement Fund no less.

The MBTA plans to pay $120,449,427 more in wages during FY2009 than it did in 2001, along with an additional $68,245,737 in fringe benefits. If you adjust that for inflation, it?s an increase of $47,832,325.37 in wages and $43,448,759.15 in benefits, with the current employee commitments well over half a billion dollars at an astonishing $609,864,740 for 2009.

Now I don?t have the breakdown of how many employees have been assigned for the past eight years, but it?s clear that employee costs are spiraling upwards. The two most obvious questions are: does this reflect improved staffing that has allowed for a measurable improvement in service to the public, and how can this be considered sustainable? I?ll leave you to answer those on your own.

Problem 2: The Big Dig

As part of blowing untold billions (as the numbers are still a little fuzzy) on The Big Dig, the state was forced to make legally-binding commitments to mitigate the environmental impact of the highway building frenzy.

A slightly abridged version of the list that can be found here:

? Silver Line Phase I: Washington Street Replacement Service.

? Silver Line Phase II: South Boston Transitway and Airport Extension.

? Silver Line Phase III: Substitution project requirement for failure to gain funding by 2005.If funding
for Phase III of the Silver Line is not secured by 2005, other urban transportation investments must be
undertaken. No substitute projects have been identified despite the failure to secure federal funding for
Silver Line Phase III.

? Orange Line: 18 Additional Cars and Signal System Improvements.

? Blue Line Platform Lengthening to accommodate 6-car trains.

? Arborway Restoration. Restoration of Green Line service along the Arborway Line in Jamaica Plain.

? Construction Equipment Retrofit Program: Massachusetts Highway Department.

? Greenbush: Restoring the Old Colony Line from Weymouth to Hingham.

? Upgrading the bus fleet.

? TF Green Rail Service.

? Promote Signalization Technology. Promote traffic signalization technology to give priority to mass
transit vehicles over automobiles within the metropolitan-Boston area.

? Funding Prioritization.

? Red/Blue Line Connector at Charles/MGH.

? Green Line extension to Medford Hills through Somerville.

- Blue Line Station Modernization

A lot of these happened, and a lot were simply ignored (keep that in mind the next time the state says Silver Line Phase III must happen). But the ones that did happen cost the state huge sums of money. The costs incurred were transferred to the MBTA as part of its new forward funding protocol.

Not only was the list of absolutely legally-binding commitments cherry-picked for projects The Powers That Be felt like completing, the buck was passed on. What?s a few billion extra in debt service payments anyway?

Problem 3: The Sales Tax

1% of the sales tax goes to the MBTA. You probably already knew this. If you live in Western Mass you certainly knew this and are undoubtably angry about it. That?s fine, but let?s take a second and look at why tying MBTA revenues to a source prone to random variations was a bad idea.

Actually, no. Why bother. This is as bad as taking the time to really ponder why giving out NINJA loans to people was a bad call. NINJA loans at variable APRs no less.

?Here is a ton of debt and a gamble that the economy will never go south. Have fun!?

Problem 4: Fare Collection

Hey look, it?s not happening again. Fare collection does not happen on the Green Line surface branches. A few half-assed attempts are made now and then, but let?s face it. The T does not collect fares on the Green Line and everyone knows it. It plays it off with the tired ?But everyone has a pass!? line that does not hold water. Anecdotal as it may be, the odd motorperson who only opens the front doors to a train causes the line of people to fish around for cash. Something they usually wait and do at the last possible moment. The T is considering CharlieCard readers at the back doors of Green Line trains, but those will be quickly defeated by the devious scam known as walking right past them.

Speaking of which, the failed fare gate design not only cost the T millions, but it ripped a hole in its nearly empty wallet for good measure. It?s rare when I don?t see two or three people go through a fare gate at once. I?ve seen five succeed before. I?ve also been shoved up against a fare gate in full view of an uninterested CSR so a fare evader could steamroll past me.

Problem 5: Ineffective Construction Management

The MBTA hates to build things. That?s why the much of the Urban Ring is going to dump buses on surface streets and call it a day. It costs a lot of money to build infrastructure, and costs more money to maintain it. You can paint ?Bus Lane? on a street for a lot less than it takes to build a tunnel or keep it from surrendering to the elements.

Take a trip on the Silver Line Waterfront and you?ll find lovely stations the likes of which have never been seen before in Boston. If something similar has been seen before, rest assured it was destroyed in the name of progress between 1950 and 1970. But I digress, the stations are huge, expensive and in good shape. That?s because nobody really uses them.

The tunnels are a different story. Buses are constantly driving through them, and through water - which will probably do wonders for the mechanical systems on each vehicle. This is because the tunnels are flooded 24/7. It doesn?t help that the pavement is rutted and it feels as though you?re driving on a dirt road. Very slowly.

Kenmore is nearly complete after tens of millions of dollars in overruns and years of delays, but the lobby has the fit and finish of Soviet housing project, and the tiles are beginning to crumble. The lovely glass bus shelter is supplemented by a collection of standard street corner style bus shelters you would find anywhere else in the city. These are the structures that actually shelter passengers from the elements. The canopy is still incomplete almost two years after assembly began, and the design does not take into account winds coming in off that Atlantic Ocean thing, nor does it shelter passengers waiting for the #57 bus - the most popular by far.

Arlington is a repeat of Kenmore with delays and overruns combined with a lack of progress. The new platform should be open by mid-May, but my Spidey Sense is telling me there is no hope for the escalator arriving anytime soon. The new platform will also mean the side presently open will need to be shuttered for a year or two or whatever. Even though the T did that once already.

Copley nearly destroyed a church when it finally came time to do some work after millions of dollars and a few years spent thinking about it. What more needs to be said? Perhaps that all construction has been halted, not just the religious institution destroying kind. I?m sure there is something that could be done somewhere on some side of the station that does not need to wait for a seismic survey. Maybe finish stripping paint of the walls. The layers of flaking, probably leady goodness that have been embarrassing the city in front of tourists since 2006.

The T has forgotten how to manage a construction project, and each new task results in a rapidly ballooning budget and timeframe. The finished products rarely seem to instill confidence that they will last once faced with normal wear and tear.

Problem 6: The Bubble

When you find out the head of the MBTA doesn?t use the MBTA to get to work you begin to realize that it?s not entirely unlikely that the rest of the top echelon of managers couldn?t find there way to Chiswick Rd. if you asked them to take a train there.

It became clear a long time ago that management is out of touch with the day to day realities of using the system. When you?re out of touch it?s impossible to spend money effectively. If you don?t know how the system works, and how it doesn?t, you can?t hope to run it.

Solution

First and foremost, the transportation agencies in the state need to be merged. I mean come on. A Highway Authority and a Turnpike Authority? How about we create an Avenue Authority and an Alley Authority too, just for kicks and kickbacks.

The state needs to take back some of the debt it threw at the MBTA. It pulled the equivalent of tossing your kids your credit card bills. Time to fix that.

Yes, the gas tax will need to rise. It sucks, but infrastructure is not free, and it?s not as though the roads are the kind of magical self-sustaining entities that are unsubsidized by the taxpayer as anti-transit activists often portray them.

Beyond that there is really there is nothing left but to audit the MBTA. Use an outside firm with absolutely no ties to the MBTA, EOT, State House, etc to do a top-to-bottom inventory of every project, every dollar and every employee. Force a cold, hard evaluation of each person?s role within the organization and how well they perform their duties. Terminate employment as necessary. Reform the pension plan.

Now that may sound harsh, and perhaps unnecessarily so. But there is one thing that I?m certain of, and that?s given the mismanagement, the patronage, etc endemic to the agency, the worst job in the whole world is being a good employee at the MBTA. There is little motivation to really care as the public looks down on you and every day it?s possible to watch the rest of the authority slowly unravel in front of your face.

Link

I think he nails it pretty succinctly here.

That was a well written article with a lot of great points.

I think fare jumpers happen all over the system. I was on the bus this morning and a woman rushed on through the back door and took a seat in the way back. The driver yelled back 3 times that if you entered through the rear door come up and pay the fare. The woman yelled back I'll tap on my way out. When asked again she yells back to the driver, please don't disrespect my like that.

If the bus was not completely jammed and it was rush hour, I have a feeling the driver would have not moved until she paid. The woman then go off 5 stops later and did not tap.

The sad part is that fare evasion has the simplest solution.

Transfer people currently sitting around not doing anything to be inspectors. Have them write the tickets theyre legally allowed to, and suddenly you have them being revenue positive.

It takes only half a ticket an hour for them to make money, and we all know in a single car they could ticket 10.

Jass the MBTA Police Union would have a fit if regular MBTA employees were granted the authority to do so. That was part of their contract negotiations years ago to take those powers away from the rank and file to better butter their own bread.

Public transit in Boston was best run under the BERy, since there is no realistic way for such a private company to make a profit in today's mostly autocentric world and no one wants to buy up eight billion in rotten debt, I wouldn't get any hopes up.

The best the state could do is declare the agency bankrupt, auction off the debt via some sort of bonds, dismantle the unions permanently, and start over with an organizational structure based off the BERy.

In Berlin the U-Bahn is on the honor system, and hardass transit police (the "Kontis") will burst in to the car more often than the begging homeless and demand to see proof of payment. If you don't have any, they drag you to the nearest ATM and force you to withdraw hundreds of euros. There's a cute video that plays in half the stations illustrating how this works using Lego people.

No fare gates needed.

Public transit in Boston was best run under the BERy, since there is no realistic way for such a private company to make a profit in today's mostly autocentric world and no one wants to buy up eight billion in rotten debt, I wouldn't get any hopes up.

The best the state could do is declare the agency bankrupt, auction off the debt via some sort of bonds, dismantle the unions permanently, and start over with an organizational structure based off the BERy.

Are you saying the fact that it was private sector made it work better or its organizational structure? And what was it about this structure that was so great?

Why are unions even legal?

Arent they monopolies? Shouldnt there be a competing MBTA police union?

Back