General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By.... Uhh... Hello? Anybody?

You're probably giving the Kennedy School way too much credit. It's been a hack factory for vanity Blue Ribbon Panel membership jockeying and for vomiting out whitepapers like this into the void for almost as long as it's been producing the occasionally serviceable public sector insight.

I'd put anything Glaeser or the Rapaport Center has produced up against any of the usual hack work from Pioneer (you're recommendation is cut taxes? Again? Wow, that's a new one). Remember that Chieppo's putting this material out as a short term IOP Fellow, not as an actual HKS faculty member, or even as an actual HKS employee. The IOP just brings in people who have been in the news lately that they think will be "fun" for the undergrads to talk to. It's not really a program that's heavy on scholarship.

The January 2016 Boston Magazine has a lengthy piece, "Out Of Service," by Erick Trickey in which he crosscuts rides on the MBTA with Dukakis, Weld, Pollack, and Paola with the the full litany of woes the T is facing and the spectrum of various/conflicting theories for how to ameliorate the crisis.

Can't find the link, but trust me, it's engrossing and entertaining and probably the best that could've been done with the subject matter given the all-to-well-known inherent limitations of BoMag as a platform for thoughtful examination of development/planning issues.

Some more good press: http://commonwealthmagazine.org/transportation/t-maintenance-worker-paid-315000/

2,600 hours of overtime in a year (to date!), on top of a full-time position. So this man is working 90 hours a week (if he works no more overtime), or close to 13 hours a day, every day, for the entire year.

I'm sure he may turn out to be lying (and if not, I question how it would be possible for him to do work of any quality with the level of fatigue that would induce), but it doesn't speak well to the MBTA's oversight in my opinion that it takes THIS kind of ridiculousness before anyone starts asking questions.

Looks like someone has found a future use for MBTA Type 7s when they are eventually retired:

http://emonorail.com/root/

"This invention is based on the time-proven structure known as a "suspension bridge" which has been around for hundreds of years, more than half of the bridges of the world are suspension bridges, simply because they're simplicity, low-cost and ease to build!"

Some more good press: http://commonwealthmagazine.org/transportation/t-maintenance-worker-paid-315000/

2,600 hours of overtime in a year (to date!), on top of a full-time position. So this man is working 90 hours a week (if he works no more overtime), or close to 13 hours a day, every day, for the entire year.

I'm sure he may turn out to be lying (and if not, I question how it would be possible for him to do work of any quality with the level of fatigue that would induce), but it doesn't speak well to the MBTA's oversight in my opinion that it takes THIS kind of ridiculousness before anyone starts asking questions.

This in a nutshell is why we'll never have a nice transit system for this city. What an absolute joke.

This in a nutshell is why we'll never have a nice transit system for this city. What an absolute joke.

There is a lot of animosity from us transit-users. It is very clear that the deficit can not be overcome without reigning in on wages (the MBTA's greatest expense). Yet, the only solutions that are examined put the unions and employees ahead of the transit user. What recourse do we have? Seriously, what recourse do we have? If organized, what can we do?

EDIT: Would a Rosa Parks-esque boycott be possible or even accomplish anything?

There is a lot of animosity from us transit-users. It is very clear that the deficit can not be overcome without reigning in on wages (the MBTA's greatest expense). Yet, the only solutions that are examined put the unions and employees ahead of the transit user. What recourse do we have? Seriously, what recourse do we have? If organized, what can we do?

EDIT: Would a Rosa Parks-esque boycott be possible or even accomplish anything?

Let's be honest - we have none. A mass boycott would be disastrous given how poorly designed and built are major roadways are in this state. Look at how awful traffic was during last winter when a lot of people avoided mass transit and drove to work instead. The MBTA is a money pit with no end in sight and unless someone steps in and puts their foot down (I think we have a better chance at a 95 degree day in January) nothing will change.

So instead we'll have to deal with a transit system that constantly has trains that break down, signal problems, dirty platforms and stations and projects that always go over budget and over time. But hey, at least the workers are getting paid well and constantly abuse the system.

Even if you're right, I refuse to start with a defeatist attitude. It may seem impossible to do anything, but this is the proper forum to brainstorm ways we can influence change. Whether that is through organizing as voters and finding a candidate who is willing to break up the union/corrupt bullshit at the MBTA and backing him/her (for governor, secretary of transportation, etc) and influencing voting results. Or whether it is some other idea.

I know these seem impossible, but I refuse to not try. Even if there may be nothing we can do.

Even if you're right, I refuse to start with a defeatist attitude. It may seem impossible to do anything, but this is the proper forum to brainstorm ways we can influence change. Whether that is through organizing as voters and finding a candidate who is willing to break up the union/corrupt bullshit at the MBTA and backing him/her (for governor, secretary of transportation, etc) and influencing voting results. Or whether it is some other idea.

I know these seem impossible, but I refuse to not try. Even if there may be nothing we can do.

We have ballot initiatives in the Commonwealth.

Would a ballot initiative to break the unions be lawful? -- basically bar the T from using unionized labor? How about an initiative to force work rule reform, like excessive overtime.

But hey, at least the workers are getting paid well and constantly abuse the system.

"Constantly"? Like, you ran the numbers and found "the workers" abuse to be "constant"?

Let's pump the brakes on the hyperbole, please.

JeffDowntown: I really like the ballot initiative idea. That's probably the best idea I've heard yet. It's too late for 2016, though, but it's probably just the right time to start exploring a 2018 ballot initiative.

I'm unsure what the initiative would look like. Here's a revolutionary idea:

• Fares can not be raised as long as the median MBTA employee pay (salary + overtime + benefits) is more than twice the state median.

JeffDowntown: I really like the ballot initiative idea. That's probably the best idea I've heard yet. It's too late for 2016, though, but it's probably just the right time to start exploring a 2018 ballot initiative.

I'm unsure what the initiative would look like. Here's a revolutionary idea:

• Fares can not be raised as long as the median MBTA employee pay (salary + overtime + benefits) is more than twice the state median.

Bigeman -- if you read the Financial Boards Annual Report

http://www.bostonherald.com/sites/default/files/media/2015/12/22/FMCB Annual Report.pdf
The burden is on the FMCB to close the MBTA structural operating deficit and that will be a top FMCB priority between now and the next annual report. But even if the operating budget deficit is brought under control, the MBTA’s much greater capital investment needs will remain. The MBTA must increase its capital spending to bring the current system into a state of good repair, to meet critical safety and accessibility goals, and to improve system capacity. The FMCB is doing what it must to end the structural operating budget deficit, but the capital challenge is one the FMCB cannot achieve alone.

In both the operating and capital areas, a top FMCB goal for the next year will be to improve delivery systems throughout the MBTA so that both the Board and the public can be sure that rider and taxpayer dollars are being used wisely and efficiently. The FMCB will want every MBTA department to set a series of five- and ten-year goals toward which each department shall move in their annual operating strategies. By doing so, the FMCB will develop a clearer sense of the MBTA’s capital needs over the next 20 years, beyond achieving SGR.

For most of its first five months of existence, the FMCB faced the enormous task of grappling with the range and complexity of issues facing the MBTA. The Board has also had to react to immediate needs and unforeseen events, such as the Green Line Extension. In short, the FMCB has had to spend much of 2015 playing defense. In 2016, it will go on offense.

and the comments that the Governor recently made re the T [to the Herald ]http://www.bostonherald.com/news/local_politics/2015/12/charlie_baker_implores_t_to_focus_on_issues
-- you will find a lot of common ground

Touching on a story in today's Herald reporting that the T has paid out $75 million in overtime this year, including 27 workers who earned more than $200,000, Baker - who is the waning days of a freshman year for what he termed his "no muss, no fuss administration" - said the public is right to be outraged.

"I think people are right to be concerned and a little outraged by the story that was in the Herald this morning. There are some people in that review that basically worked a full year of overtime" on top of their regular salaries, Baker told Herald Drive hosts John Sapochetti and Adriana Cohen. "That strikes me as physically unhealthy and risky for the system overall."

And the Control Board recommends not filling any of the open ended vacancies, and eliminating overtime. Figure.

And the Control Board recommends not filling any of the open ended vacancies, and eliminating overtime. Figure.

:confused::confused::confused:

There becomes a point where not filling positions and paying out overtime becomes more expensive than hiring to fill positions. We've reached this point and gone far, far past it.

Secondly, my question is this for the guys "working" insane overtime. Is it actually worked overtime, or is it mandatory paid time? I.e. Is he called in for extra work, but no matter how long it takes, the worker is paid a minimum 4 or 8 hours at overtime pay.

I suspect some of this is going on, but this is still an insane number to make that work.

Back