General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

MassDOT's presentation just now on Mattapan HSL options didn't even evaluate Red Line conversion, only LRV or bus options.

Sounded like the preferred option is to maintain the PCCs until the mid/late 2020s and then shift the now-new Type 9 Green Line vehicles over once the Type 10s come online.

Don't appreciate the lack of imagination shown by not considering the Red Line, though.

A RL conversion is certainly a nice idea and may make sense, but it's also a pretty substantial undertaking. LRT conversion is a cheap by definitely helpful upgrade. It also keeps options open for some kind of M Line extension. I'm okay with this for now, but yes, a RL study should also happen.

I dont get the Route 1 proposal. Are they eliminating Ct1? How does the save time for folks using that route?

Shortening the loop at Harvard Square is a great idea. I only recently realized that wasn't how that bus looped. It's ridiculous that it goes around the entire perimeter of the campus rather than simply turning at Harvard Square. As for CT-1, aside from the BMC loop, the rest of it's route is completely duplicate to Rt 1. I don't know that the loop is required, as it's a pretty short walk from Washington/Harrison to the areas served by it.

A RL conversion is certainly a nice idea and may make sense, but it's also a pretty substantial undertaking. LRT conversion is a cheap by definitely helpful upgrade. It also keeps options open for some kind of M Line extension. I'm okay with this for now, but yes, a RL study should also happen.

The mattapan line doesn't have the ridership to require a heavy rail extension, light rail serves its ridership needs just fine and can run smaller more frequent trains. A heavy rail extension just doesn't make sense for this corridor when you take into account the multiple grade crossings, bridges, short platforms etc that would all require a full rebuild, combined with a full Ashmont rebuild, and all for what, longer headways and empty running way oversized trains, in exchange for a one-seat ride?

Shortening the loop at Harvard Square is a great idea. I only recently realized that wasn't how that bus looped. It's ridiculous that it goes around the entire perimeter of the campus rather than simply turning at Harvard Square. As for CT-1, aside from the BMC loop, the rest of it's route is completely duplicate to Rt 1. I don't know that the loop is required, as it's a pretty short walk from Washington/Harrison to the areas served by it.

Right Im all for the loop removals. Its just that CT1 is an express version of the 1.

The mattapan line doesn't have the ridership to require a heavy rail extension, light rail serves its ridership needs just fine and can run smaller more frequent trains. A heavy rail extension just doesn't make sense for this corridor when you take into account the multiple grade crossings, bridges, short platforms etc that would all require a full rebuild, combined with a full Ashmont rebuild, and all for what, longer headways and empty running way oversized trains, in exchange for a one-seat ride?

That's a huge overexaggeration.

There are 2 grade crossings: Central Ave. and Capen. Bridges are fine for load-bearing with possible exception of the second Neponset crossing. Ashmont would not need any rebuild whatsoever as trains running thru to the yard would simply S-curve onto the Mattapan Line at Gallivan Blvd. And the only platform builds of any kind would be at Milton and Mattapan stations as all other stops would be retired for HRT stop spacing.

It is not zero-cost, but it is hardly as difficult as you're making it out to be. And you can't project accurate ridership going 1:1 with an 8-stop, 9-minute long trolley trip requiring a transfer vs. a one-seat continuation to 2 stops at 6-min. Ashmont Branch frequency at far shorter travel time. You can be optimistic or pessimistic about the ridership potential, but don't claim to know with any surety how it projects because no estimates have yet been made for Milton + Mattapan as one-seats fed through Red Line performance metrics.

Does anyone have any idea why the advertisement space on the MBTA trains, especially the OL, is so underused? On Orange, it's often downright pitiful, with a single ad panel sliding around on an otherwise empty panel-space above.

The only platform builds of any kind would be at Milton and Mattapan stations as all other stops would be retired for HRT stop spacing.

It is not zero-cost, but it is hardly as difficult as you're making it out to be. And you can't project accurate ridership going 1:1 with an 8-stop, 9-minute long trolley trip requiring a transfer vs. a one-seat continuation to 2 stops at 6-min.

Hold up you think the locals would support going from 8 stops to 2 stops? They would be out in the streets protesting the racism of it or something. That's about as likely to be accepted (if not less) as BRT. And going from 9 minutes to 6 isn't really worth the money either. I'm yet to see any real *benefits* to converting to heavy rail, can you point them out? The only thing people say is "one seat ride" but that's a minimal impact and could be solved by simplifying the transfer at Ashmont, for example moving the trolley to be behind a common fare gate area.

Also the bridges can't even support a modern type 7 GL vehicle why do you think they can manage a much heavier RL car. Heavy rail transit grade crossings should always be avoided.

Most importantly, why go to heavy rail, there are no real benefits for the area from that change, just lots of negatives. If there's a line that could benefit from heavy rail on the MBTA I would say do GL first. But the old argument that HRT is always better is less true when you include modern LRVs that would do great on this segment and cost much less than a heavy rail conversion.

Hold up you think the locals would support going from 8 stops to 2 stops? They would be out in the streets protesting the racism of it or something. That's about as likely to be accepted (if not less) as BRT. And going from 9 minutes to 6 isn't really worth the money either. I'm yet to see any real *benefits* to converting to heavy rail, can you point them out? The only thing people say is "one seat ride" but that's a minimal impact and could be solved by simplifying the transfer at Ashmont, for example moving the trolley to be behind a common fare gate area.

Since they have not studied this, you can't conclude with certainty what riders will and will not support. Heaping ever-more hysterical hyperbole on top does not make your personal opinion on the matter represent the whole of the corridor out of sheer loudness. The fact of the matter is that Mattapan and Ashmont comprise 76% of the HSL's boardings, the Central Ave. + Milton stops that would be combined into a block-spanning intermediate another 16%, and all 4 of the eliminated stops only 8%. That's a deck stacked extremely heavily to the Ashmont-Milton-Mattapan trio, and the theory that those dominant alpha stops could benefit from the one-seat ride to downtown, run more frequently, run at higher capacity, and run with the mode that encourages more rapid boarding. That's the theory of conversion's benefits to this line. Now test the theory by crunching some numbers in a feasibility study that benchmarks LRT vs. HRT.

No one is making any blanket statements saying HRT is *automatically* best, because you have to have verifiable projections to make that call. I think the odds are good that HRT will fare well, but odds don't excuse the need for a study to PROVE that and to do a deep-dive into demographics that could tell us something we didn't know well enough about this corridor and its needs. Your intensity-of-a-thousand-suns hottakez, however, do not disprove anything by their lonesome or obviate the need for a study. Nor does feigning obtuseness on the supposed benefits debunk a testable theory on "TL;DR" grounds.

Is there a debate to be had there about the value of those intermediates vs. consolidation + enhanced path access (like lighting the trail on both sides of Milton and using one of the vacated track berths over Gallivan Blvd. to give the neighborhood around Cedar Grove direct access to Ashmont)? Sure, absolutely. But are there going to be riots in the streets from those 8% at Capen, Valley, Butler, and Cedar Grove??? No, that's a silly and/or immature pronouncement. Any call they make will be corridor-wide, not tail of the smallest stops wagging the dog for Dorchester, Mattapan, and Lower Mills.

No service metrics have been presented to hang a pros/cons argument on. The state originally presented HRT conversion as a study option...as in, put some metrics to it. Now they aren't. That's a shame, because we could actually be debating this on real numbers if they did so.

Also the bridges can't even support a modern type 7 GL vehicle why do you think they can manage a much heavier RL car. Heavy rail transit grade crossings should always be avoided.
You keep repeating this like it's gospel. It's not. A Breda Type 8 trolley weighs 87,000 lbs. A Bombardier 01800, heaviest on the Red Line, weighs 80,000 lbs. The whole rapid transit roster's weights are listed right on Page 18 of the Blue Book; see for yourself.

All bridges on the Mattapan Line are rated for modern weights with possible exception of the second Neponset crossing outside of Mattapan Station. The others were upgraded during the Ashmont reconstruction shutdown several years ago. The bridges cited for advanced deterioration by the most recent Mattapan report were Gallivan Blvd. which carries BOTH trolleys and heavy rail side-by-side, and a street bridge in Milton that's crumbling onto the tracks below (i.e. not even a lineside structure). But regardless of there being so much as 1 bridge left to go...if they rate it for any 7/8/9 trolley, they've rated it for the HRT fleet.

Second, no one said the grade crossings would remain. Capen and Central Ave. would have new rail overpasses installed. Central Ave.'s would be grafted onto the incline that hits peak on the Eliot St. mid-block by bringing in more fill. Capen's would be a very small span, probably moving the ROW a few more feet away from adjacent houses for spacing and straightening out the slight S-curve in the ROW. Neither would be anything to write home about cost/construction-wise, particularly Capen.

Most importantly, why go to heavy rail, there are no real benefits for the area from that change, just lots of negatives.
What are these negatives? You feel they're pervasive enough to riot over, but won't name what they are much less allow possibility of a study that merely compares one mode to another.

If there's a line that could benefit from heavy rail on the MBTA I would say do GL first. But the old argument that HRT is always better is less true when you include modern LRVs that would do great on this segment and cost much less than a heavy rail conversion.
Another argument presented without evidence. You won't consider the testable theory outlined above that HRT would boost the ridership at the Big 3 catchments, but you are resolutely sure that modern LRV's are "great"...because you personally believe it to be true more strongly than running that testable theory through a numbers comparison. Mmm'kay...good to know you're not interested in an actual discussion here.

Heaping ever-more hysterical hyperbole on top does not make your personal opinion on the matter represent the whole of the corridor out of sheer loudness.

Do you ever get tired of starting every post by being such an enormous asshole?

Any time you get the smallest pushback to anything you say you immediately start attacking other posters. It's really tiresome.

Do you ever get tired of starting every post by being such an enormous asshole?

Any time you get the smallest pushback to anything you say you immediately start attacking other posters. It's really tiresome.

This isn't really the best example of this kind of behavior. Calling out hyperbole is not assholish.

And the beat goes on...

This isn't really the best example of this kind of behavior. Calling out hyperbole is not assholish.

And the beat goes on...

It's a long standing pattern. HelloBostonHi is making perfectly reasonable posts. It doesnt call for stuff like this to be sprinkled into every response:

Your intensity-of-a-thousand-suns hottakez, however, do not disprove anything by their lonesome or obviate the need for a study. Nor does feigning obtuseness on the supposed benefits debunk a testable theory on "TL;DR" grounds.

One can disagree on a transit proposal without the constant attacks.

And in case it matters, I have zero opinion on the Mattapan line operations because I have only ridden it as a railfan and know nothing about the usage patterns. I like PCCs, so I hope at the end of the day they are saved for a museum or tourist line, regardless of what happens.

Hold up you think the locals would support going from 8 stops to 2 stops? They would be out in the streets protesting the racism of it or something.

The only stops on the HSL that are in predominately minority areas are Mattapan and Ashmont.

And the only riders in the existing catchment that would be end up with >.5 miles from the new stations, are those who currently use Valley Rd and Capen St (of whom there are 102). And a pedestrian bridge over the Neponset east of Mattapan would get most of that area covered.

Last edited:
The only stops on the HSL that are in predominately minority areas are Mattapan and Ashmont.

And the only riders in the existing catchment that would be end up with >.5 miles from the new stations, are those who currently use Valley Rd and Capen St (of whom there are 102). And a pedestrian bridge over the Neponset west of Mattapan would get most of that area covered.

Yeah. The biggest hold-up to conversion to HRT - after MBTA institutional resistance - will probably be Milton pols who don't want their constituents to lose their boutique tram stops. It won't be social justice fighters. I'd actually expect that community activists in Mattapan would be for RLX from Ashmont.

Yeah. The biggest hold-up to conversion to HRT - after MBTA institutional resistance - will probably be Milton pols who don't want their constituents to lose their boutique tram stops. It won't be social justice fighters. I'd actually expect that community activists in Mattapan would be for RLX from Ashmont.

I'm not so sure, I think RLX would have a lot of gentrification implications, and I think there would be a very mixed reaction from community activists. I think more frequent/accessible service for the trolley is sort of a best of both worlds option.

MUNI doesn't maintain theirs. The Market Street Railway museum, a non-profit bankrolled by private contributions, maintains the MUNI historic fleet at their own shops using volunteer labor. Also...climate does make a difference. Ice and cold are murder on delicate old propulsion, and San Fran has the advantage of not having wild temperature swings.

Late to the party, but your first sentence is completely untrue. The cars used for regular E and F service (the PCCs, ex-Milan cars, and a few oddballs) are maintained by paid Muni workers at Muni-owned shops. MSR does advocacy, funds occasional acquisition and repairs of streetcars, and has volunteers that clean the historic streetcars during service.

You are very correct about climate being a factor. Muni also has several other advantages: a much larger fleet of active streetcars and parts cars than the MBTA, an well-funded advocacy organization that keeps Muni on their toes for even the smallest issues, and that their PCCs are used in a highly-visible place where they serve as a tourist attraction as well as a trunkline transit service.

As for the commuter rail counts: I really wish they'd release the whole set. These CTPS counts are vastly more accurate than the Bluebook counts, which used conductor counts that are usually estimates and in some cases completely faked.

LA is practically quadroupling their subway/metro network from a half cent sales tax. $860 million annually funding rail transit, bike lanes, pot hole repairs, bus routes etc.. They have a larger population, but would something like this not make sense to be able to electrify the commuter rail here, and add the extensions we need, fund bike, bus lanes, all over the state?

https://la.curbed.com/2016/11/9/13573924/measure-m-los-angeles-public-transit-results

LA is going to go from one of the least extensive to the 2nd most extensive after nyc in 11 years. Imagine what we could do, a state this small could be almost entirely rail transit connected...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/la.curbed.com/platform/amp/2017/8/4/16098474/olympics-transit-future-subway-rail

It just blows me away to see things like this and what Seattle is doing and we cant even do red-blue. Theyre both doing tens of miles of tunnels as well and we all know we need NSRL, but as of now its a pipe dream, kind of crazy.

Last edited:
LA is practically quadroupling their subway/metro network from a half cent sales tax. $860 million annually funding rail transit, bike lanes, pot hole repairs, bus routes etc.. They have a larger population, but would something like this not make sense to be able to electrify the commuter rail here, and add the extensions we need, fund bike, bus lanes, all over the state?

https://la.curbed.com/2016/11/9/13573924/measure-m-los-angeles-public-transit-results

LA is going to go from one of the least extensive to the 2nd most extensive after nyc in 11 years. Imagine what we could do, a state this small could be almost entirely rail transit connected...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/la.cur.../16098474/olympics-transit-future-subway-rail

It just blows me away to see things like this and what Seattle is doing and we cant even do red-blue. Theyre both doing tens of miles of tunnels as well and we all know we need NSRL, but as of now its a pipe dream, kind of crazy.

You brought this up exactly last week in another post, and it was clearly explained why the L.A. example can't translate here. See the headline of the first article you posted:

"Measure M: Angelenos vote to tax themselves for better public transit"

"Measure M." California government is more heavily weighted towards local ballot measures than out here...so much so that they are the national outlier amongst states that do allow such things. They can put a referendum out to popular vote on an extremely broad range of initiatives, tax themselves to the initiative, and segment the measures by locality, county, or public services district. It's great for things like this. It's also chaotically awful for municipalities impaling themselves on astroturf legislation. But it's how they roll in Cali.

We literally can't do something like Measure M. And not for "we can't" due to lack of will. It is flat-out illegal in Massachusetts government to float a public transit taxation measure locally. That all has to originate top-down in the Legislature. What ballot initiatives we do have are wholly statewide, and generally advisory in nature to an already- passed or considered Legislature bill. It's how the state constitution is set up. Even taxation within the MBTA district is ham-fisted at best and ineffective at running up large wads for expansion money because the district was born under Massachusetts law. We would have to change the state constitution to loosen it up for Cali-style ballot measures, and I'm not sure that's power we'd want to hand our already balkanized towns for the chaos that could ensue. Some forms of government are just different, not better or worse.

This isn't a transit issue; it's the difference in how one state's constitution is organized vs. another. The "will" to improve issue has to come from within our Commonwealth's organization...like taming an autocratic Legislature leadership so bunkered in it's not required to give two shits about popular will. It's not going to come from emulating Los Angeles, because we legally cannot do that.

Back