General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Essentially, the Pope plan was that a shit ton of suburban people would drive to the stations with the most parking, pack the train, and thus there was no point stopping on the way as no one could get on.

Which is exactly what happened with the Pats parade, so yes, it makes sense to copy that. Pre-planning the express runs avoided people being left behind on platforms and also allowing trains to finish their runs faster and thus go out for another round.

HOWEVER, the Pope plan completely screws over regular transit riders who do not have the luxury of driving to a park and ride because they walk or take the bus to their local station. In that regards, it is incredibly unfair because advance notice does not solve the "I dont have a car" issue.

It seems that the really simple solution to that would be to make ever other (or every third) run an express run.

Since the T put on extra runs they should have made those runs express. Not sure why they didn't do that.

My biggest gripe with Keolis on Tuesday was the lack of communication. They could have told people on the Anderson platform that there wouldn't be a train picking up there anytime soon, or any other part of the system in a similar situation.

Your 9-5 monthly pass holders were unable to get to work, and they want to raise prices :rolleyes:.

What's the rationale behind an 11am parade? What if it were pushed back to, say, 2pm with additional trains running at peak frequencies later into the morning? Would lessen the burden on the earlier trains for the 9-5 holders.

^ To be honest, I doubt it. I understand trains were filling up at 7, which I interpret as people showing up pretty much as early as possible. A 2pm parade would have just meant that many more people trying to leave during the afternoon rush.

I think it's fair for Keolis to take some blame for the conditions on the commuter rail during the parade. I tried unsuccessfully to get into work via train from about 8 to 8:30 a.m. I live on the Worcester/ Framingham line. The trains filled up way out by Worcester etc. after the first stop or two. People were not allowed to board trains due to crowding anywhere east of Natick. As a back up, I drove to Riverside, but the parking lot was full and the streets were gridlock around the station. I then returned home.

The trains only have so capacity so I get that, but communication to passengers leaves a lot to be desired. Also, from what I understand, the trains were chaos, chuck full of high school kids in mob mentality mode, quite a bit of drinking and smoking pot, etc. Trains were trashed early in the a.m and not cleaned all day. Afternoon commute only got worse, trains were still a mess from the morning but now add in quite a few drunk teens and adults etc. Most of the trains had extremely long delays. On the Worcester/Framingham line a few fights broke out on some coaches, bathrooms were locked to avoid problems, apparently people were apparently pissing in bottles, some on the floor, and allegedly someone even took a crap inside one of coaches of one of the worcester trains.

The conductors are stretched very thin on a normal commuting day, there is no way at normal staffing can they adequately handle an influx such as this. Perhaps Keolis needed to have the functional equivalent of school bus monitors on each train car to avoid some of these problems. Anyone that started a fight or became extremely disruptive should have been removed at the following stop. Not to mention, despite record breaking crowds, little to no fares were collected on the trains that day so the commuter rail actually collected much less fare revenue that a normal commuting day. With adequate staffing, they could have mitigated the most disruptive behaviors and collected fares to boot.

Last edited:
Am I remembering correctly that there is a substation under City Hall? Would that be the source of the problem?

Was just on some Orange Line platforms as I walked to the Red— definitely crowded. One train was stopped midway up the platform when I arrived. It eventually slowly moved forward.

And the icing on the cake for Friday evening's commute... now Red Line delays due to a medical emergency at JFK/UMass.

There's a substation near Government Center, I believe. Unclear if that's the source of the issue

Last edited:
It seemed like from my commute that the third rail was working fine, but the power outage shut down the signal system. There were workers waving flashlights at State and Haymarket that I believe were acting as a human signal system. DTX had full power but State and Haymarket looked dark.

Orange Line was slow and packed, but I got home. I guess the green line might have been worse, probably because the central subway is congested even without signal issues. Orange Line has trains that come every 6 mins or so during rush hour so the signal issues weren't as bad.

Correct, they lost power for the signals system, and trains were still operational (though other systems also don't have power and stations are pitch black). They switched over to manual signals as you note. Quite a shit show. Should also note that the electrical systems that don't deal with third rail power are an absolute nightmare to deal with. They've followed the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" rationale because the countless repairs, alterations, quick fixes to power supply nightmares like tonight, and whatever else has happened over the past 40/50 years have made it nearly impossible to understand what's going on.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0d/Type_9_MBTA_Green_Line_Train.webm

Spotted the a Type 9 (#3901) testing on the B branch and C branch today which is cool, only seen in revenue service on D so far...

Not sure what's taking 3901 so long to get accepted for revenue service. They've had to play keep-away with car 3900 during most of the peak period with it being a singlet, so odds of catching a ride on the latest/greatest aren't going to improve until it's got a pair to run with.

So I was thinkin... *IF* Fairmount and maybe even West Station DMU’s running to South Station is a viable idea... Then would not the line running from Lynn-Chelsea-Everett-North Station be as well? Couldnt this be a much easier way to get rapid transit to Lynn than having to extend blue? Then Brandeis-Waltham-Belmont-North Station could be viable too. Lynn, Chelsea, Everett, and Waltham would be major players to get faster service to. It just seems weird they kicked around Fairmount and West station... even track 61, but no mention of North Station lines when Blue-Lynn is such a hot topic.

Urban Rail on the Eastern Route isn't a drop-in substitute for BLX. The audiences are too different.

BLX serves 3 primary functions:

• Fixes the brokenness of Lynn bus ops. Lynn currently has to send every route down to Wonderland to find a rapid transit transfer...and express about half of them from Wonderland to downtown through the Airport tunnels. It maims Lynn Terminal's equipment rotations by preventing Lynn from being restocked quickly enough with buses, and thus headways on the entire North Shore end up suffering greatly from this drain which gets worse at peak as the roads get more crowded. With rapid transit brought out to the bus terminal (like Quincy Center) to end all that distended running down Route 1A, buses can be turned immediately back outbound as additional frequencies. The increase in last-mile frequencies then starts a positive feedback loop of additional ridership coming into the extended Blue Line, such that the multimodal coattails give it a really big bang. Urban Rail on the Eastern Route can't exploit that ridership, because it doesn't touch the bus supply vs. frequencies issue.

• North Shore to Logan demand. There is no easier way to go than direct on Blue. SL3 out of Chelsea isn't nearly as reliable because its one critical flaw is that it's subject to regular Chelsea St. bridge openings. Past proposals for a commuter rail stop near Wonderland got met with very cool reception because of the nearly 1300 ft. walk it would take to get from Purple to Blue at closest pass. Urban Rail options from North Shore to Logan consistency rate out more underwhelming than Blue or bus-to-Blue.

• Intra- North Shore demand. Lots of trip demand to Revere and Eastie by way of Lynn Terminal and all the boosted bus routes coming out of it to points north. Think Suffolk Downs redevelopment, which is going to draw heavily from the North Shore. Urban Rail on the Eastern Route can't touch these areas.
Urban Rail on the Eastern as a wholly unique audience separate from BLX is primarily going to serve. . .

• North Shore to CBD. Obvious constituency there.

• Chelsea/Everett-North Shore. That's a distinct constituency that BLX doesn't touch. And because of the equipment drain on Lynn terminal there's not a lot of bus connectivity between Lynn + points-north and Chelsea.

• North Shore to other bus anchors...if the Sullivan superstation gets a commuter rail platform someday. See also: jobs access to Assembly.

• Salem as a bus anchor. More frequent service to Salem opens up potential to expand the range and frequency of bus routes that touch that station. Would be helped enormously if BLX were built because then the equipment would be available, but you could if some equipment were shuffled to Salem start running more useful last-mile connections out there with that stop acting as a quasi-terminal instead of everything way up there running through Lynn/Wonderland/Downtown before it gets a chance to turn.

Ultimately to tap the whole of the North Shore's potential we need BLX-Lynn, fully-cooking Urban Rail, and an encore Better Bus reboot of the entire 400-series route network with supersized last-mile frequencies and lots of new connections. They're all big, critical cogs in the wheel driving the most proportionately transit-underserved region of Greater Boston. The reason this is so tough is because there's no way to kill more birds with fewer stones and still meet the North Shore's needs. They need it all, and each of these transit projects feasts off the other's bounty in such a way that they're each greatly diminished without the others.

--------------------

Urban Rail is an obvious enhancement. Enough so that we shouldn't wait for things like the currently comatose DMU market to wake up before moving in that direction. If they make a large enough bi-level coach procurement to replace the single-levels, then all they need to do is:

• Set aside the 50+ auto-door equipped cars in the 200-series Pullman single-levels, which are the best-condition flats in the commuter rail fleet and can last the longest in extended-life service if their daily mileage is limited to inside Route 128. Add ASA screens, but otherwise they're up-to-date as-is.

• Touch up a "best of the rest" selection of the 1600-series Bombardier cab cars with a light refresh from parts stripped from the rest of the scrapped Bombardier and MBB coaches. Install auto doors and ASA in them.

• Put together 4-car trainsets of 3 Pullman trailers + 1 Bombardier cab. Add AFC 2.0 tap surfaces to the doors. Comes out to about 16 trainsets total...maybe less if some select schedules need 5 cars instead of 4.

• Lease some additional locomotives if necessary. Amtrak will have plenty of decent-condition GE Genesis units being leased/sold out to commuter rail operators now that it's replacing those with a big new order of Siemens power. Set aside some F40's for these because they'll show more zip on acceleration pulling short, non-full sets. Group the higher-horsepower HSP-46's and Amtrak beaters with the bi-levels pulling fuller/heavier trains out to 495.
On the Southside for Fairmount and Riverside we're of course going to want to maximally push for electrification and EMU's on bang-for-buck purposes...skipping the diesel middleman altogether. But for applying RER practices as a system we don't want to wait on technology before giving the northside any love with similarly frequent service to Salem, Reading, and Waltham/128. Planting the electrification flag doesn't make dollars or sense up north until the southside is nearly all-wired, so that will take awhile. And the market for FRA-compliant / Buy America DMU's is ice-cold right now, so we want to avoid falling into a "The vehicle IS the service" rhetorical trap (which the T was already guilty of once re: Fairmount) by doing nothing just because the shiny thing isn't very easy to procure right now. Push-pull can make the schedule margins. It's sub-optimal cost effectiveness over the long term, but you can absolutely run the service for better part of a decade with equipment on-hand before figuring out some transition to better things. And that's better than having to preface every plan with pause to wonder how many more years it'll take for the DMU market to thaw.

I know that thats what NEEDS to happen and I know blue-Lynn has many more benefits and is the line we ultimately need. I wasnt saying do DMU’s in place of BLX. We both know how this actually plays out. If red-blue is projected for 2040 blue to Lynn is probably 2060. DMU’s obviously arent the ideal solution, but in all honesty its probably the only option that we would realistically do, for now. Transit projects take decades and only come around one at a time. It may not be perfect, but Id much rather have that than nothing. Fairmount as of now only has the DMU option there is not even a real electrification plan yet. The Fairmount DMU plan has atleast been looked into. Its the same with West station and when there is its an entirely separate project with separate funding and construction. That is until the commuter rail network is electrified, again probably 60 years out. So if we were to use DMU’s on fairmount I think it could be a great stop gap to get rapid transit via DMU’s from North Station to Lynn, Chelsea...etc soon.

We could get North Station Dmu’s running in 10 years. That would give these lines an option until the permanent solutions were implemented. The DMU market is cool in the US, but if we were in on it we could do something like what we did with the new red/green/orange cars. In the case of Waltham, Chelsea there are no other plans, yet. I think this would be the most reasonable way to drastically increase rapid transit until they can be replaced by permanent solutions. I know its going to be shit on because of x, y, z, but what better solutions are there right now that could get all of these lines running at the same time this quickly? Just build it all is great, but its not happening currently. DMU’s were at least being explored and can be added to all these different existing commuter rail lines, where the permanent solution means each of these are their own individual massive projects. I think its a completely reasonable idea that at least deserves consideration to see if it could be done. If it can Id say go for it while we wait around for the rest of the expansion to take place.

Last edited:
I know that thats what NEEDS to happen and I know blue-Lynn has many more benefits and is the line we ultimately need. I wasnt saying do DMU’s in place of BLX. We both know how this actually plays out. If red-blue is projected for 2040 blue to Lynn is probably 2060. DMU’s obviously arent the ideal solution, but in all honesty its probably the only option that we would realistically do, for now. Transit projects take decades and only come around one at a time. It may not be perfect, but Id much rather have that than nothing. Fairmount as of now only has the DMU option there is not even a real electrification plan yet. The Fairmount DMU plan has atleast been looked into. Its the same with West station and when there is its an entirely separate project with separate funding and construction. That is until the commuter rail network is electrified, again probably 60 years out. So if we were to use DMU’s on fairmount I think it could be a great stop gap to get rapid transit via DMU’s from North Station to Lynn, Chelsea...etc soon.

We could get North Station Dmu’s running in 10 years. That would give these lines an option until the permanent solutions were implemented. The DMU market is cool in the US, but if we were in on it we could do something like what we did with the new red/green/orange cars. In the case of Waltham, Chelsea there are no other plans, yet. I think this would be the most reasonable way to drastically increase rapid transit until they can be replaced by permanent solutions. I know its going to be shit on because of x, y, z, but what better solutions are there right now that could get all of these lines running at the same time this quickly? Just build it all is great, but its not happening currently. DMU’s were at least being explored and can be added to all these different existing commuter rail lines, where the permanent solution means each of these are their own individual massive projects. I think its a completely reasonable idea that at least deserves consideration to see if it could be done. If it can Id say go for it while we wait around for the rest of the expansion to take place.

1. "2040" for Red-Blue ≠ "2060" for BLX as if that were some locked-in sequence. Sec. Pollack just requested like a week ago to put Red-Blue back on the CIP, and the Focus40 document was the nearest/easiest available mechanism to do that with. That was merely the first step (a refreshed scoping study being the second) for getting a not-terribly-complex project put back on the fast-track. It does not follow that every additional project must single-file in line 20 years behind that 2040 placeholder. The bureaucratic meaning of "2040" was discussed extensively in the Red-Blue thread.

Pollack has also said throughout her tenure that the agency has to learn to walk and chew gum at the same time in all facets. We're starting to see the fruits of that in her second term with all these simultaneously moving modernization studies for closing the state-of-repair gap. The move to get Red-Blue and GLX-Route 16 back on the front-burner is the embryonic sign of a pivot towards getting expansion projects back in the queue without needing the whole earth to stop in the process. It's agonizingly slow and fraught with bureaucracy, but you can't say "you know" how this plays out for 60 years in the future when it's already playing out in baby steps no one could've predicted just 3 short years in the aftermath of our big Olympics whiff. Change isn't pretty to watch and momentum is slow to build, but something has clearly shifted in response to the region's mobility crisis.

2. Urban Rail ≠ DMU. Always keep that in mind, because "The vehicle IS the service" fallacy is the very deke the T already used once to punt off Fairmount Line service increases when it canceled its DMU Request for Proposals and subsequently left service levels untouched. The vehicle type doesn't matter for implementing all-day bidirectional headways of 15-20 mins. Push-pull ends up chewing unfavorable costs projected over years because it's less ops-efficient, but it is not a capability drag for Urban Rail service starts as long as the train sizes are kept well-managed. Lines with infrastructure that's up-to-snuff like Fairmount and Salem can take service starts with the existing single-level fleet as soon as the new bi-level order is delivered and they can bum some lease locos from Amtrak to supply the trainsets. We have not yet implemented 30-minute headway Regional Rail to I-495 on top of these intra-128 Urban Rail proposals, so the service layer cake is not yet thick enough to outpace the OTP margins of the old equipment. And there's enough wiggle room at the terminals to do Fairmount + 1-2 northside service starts before terminal expansion becomes necessary, in part because other deferred suburban expansions have not yet gobbled up the last capacity. It's only when you've got things like RER to Forge Park + Foxboro interlining with the intracity Readville turns that you truly can't live without a fleet of world-class acceleration profile for sake of keeping the rapid turns out of the way of suburban trains on the Fairmount Line. The RER study for the whole system is still a long way from completion, but the Fairmount Urban Rail service plan has been sitting in a file cabinet for 10 years waiting for go-ahead...so there's going to be lag time before RER traffic is thick enough that it's mandatory you elbow the push-pull starter fleet aside for something more nimble.

The one great thing TransitMatters has done is scrub "The vehicle IS the service" out of the conversation, because that was worked to divide-and-conquer perfection back during the original Fairmount DMU debate and during the Olympics debacle. What initially was about giving Dorchester and Hyde Park better transit became this warped Shiny Ball Syndrome conversation about "maybe pry some Fairmount DMU's to run to Foxboro because Bob Kraft = dreamy" and "Track 61 because reasons!!!" elbowing any talk of follow-through on Fairmount service to the side. Now, of course for RER it's academic to state "electric > diesel" and "if electric, EMU > push-pull" because of the southside having existing electrification infrastructure to expand off of. But all the stuff in the RER study stays pretty squarely service-oriented where it should be and doesn't get into vehicle warfare...especially on the northside where it's duly acknowledged that electrification is later-coming. DMU is not a service; it's merely one of many things on wheels that can be run for good service or for total-ass service at the operator's whims.

3. "Something" ≠ alternate option for nothing. See previous post again: BLX does A, B, C for the North Shore; Urban Rail does X, Y, Z; Yellow Line modernization as follow-thru to A/B/C or X/Y/Z does D, E, F or U, V, W. They're all separate audiences amplifying each other at multimodal convergence points on the North Shore. It's a fallacy to treat one build as a consolation prize for another, because they don't do remotely the same things for the same trip audiences...but the modes do interplay off each other bigtime.

Yes, you absolutely should build Urban Rail to Salem tomorrow if you can...because you probably very much can if as in ^^#2^^ there's a repurposeable single-level fleet to do push-pull service starts. But don't conflate that with relieving pressure on building BLX. It increases pressure on BLX because the brokenness of the bus terminal and its last-mile frequencies gets ever more acute the more train riders you flush (including inability to fill in the Chelsea-Lynn cavity in 1xx and 4xx route coverage). The last time this was a priority build officials used the apples-apples comparison between modes and "good enough" stopgaps to backpedal from BLX. The fallacy didn't work; we're looking at another about-face to re-study the project...at the same time as talking about Urban Rail...because people remembered just how different the demand for these projects are. They're not going to re-forget the difference.

Is it going to take awhile to get BLX sorted, much less build? Sure. Does it matter if Urban Rail gets implemented first? No, of course not...net spare coaches + do a very short list of Eastern Route infrastructure upgrades and it's plug-and-play on a 4-year CIP budget. Does one of these questions have anything to do with the other? NO...that's why both projects are simultaneously on the study hotseat in Feb. 2019.

3. DMU's in X years. The fact of the matter is the domestic market for FRA-compliant DMU vehicles is not just "cool", but in acute crisis in 2019. The most promising supplier, Nippon-Sharyo (who the T almost bought from), has plunged into extreme corporate turmoil over its broken Amtrak coach contract and taken a knee from hawking its self-propelled wares while it licks its wounds. Buy America has scared off most other vendors because nearly all DMU orders under consideration in the U.S. are much too small in quantity to net acceptable price point for assembly at a domestic pop-up factory. You can buy them, but good prices are even harder to come by then they were during the T's cancelled Fairmount vehicle RFP. And it's not at all clear if the recent relaxation in FRA regs is enough to allow the only decent current domestic seller, the ultra-lightweight Stadler GTW, to run without a time separation waiver. Certainly the limited crop FRA-compliants weren't anything special on the performance front because of all the hideous extra bulk they were carrying in the name of FRA buff strength, so availability of something lighter is key. Finally, a number of transit projects nationwide speccing DMU's have been postponed due to fed & state funding issues, with the only ones still proceeding to build being lines using the lightweight/waivered Stadlers and not any FRA-compliants.

Since any vehicle procurement takes a minimum 5 years from RFP to delivery, they're in a bind even for 2025 now. This market freeze will run its course eventually, but probably not for another couple years and until after the new FRA crash regs have sorted themselves out. That means, indeed, it may be outright faster to electrify the Fairmount Line and Worcester Line to Riverside and acquire Bombardier EMU's off of NJ Transit's options than it is to run diesel self-propelleds on Fairmount. No one anticipated the market would go sideways like this, but it has, and it's enough to flip planning for things like the RER study on its head.

Atlantas MARTA took a page out of LA’s book and approved a half cent sales tax in 2016 which is allowing them to add 29 miles of light rail and $2.7 billion in funds. LA did the same and is currently expanding their metro more than anywhere in North America and will have the 2nd most extensive metro system after NYC, going from the least extensive system of all major cities to #2. Im not saying we would have to do this here, but there are options to generate funds. Both cities are building fast. LA will be done in 10 years.

https://youtu.be/u4h_dguTLRU

Repeat:

Public service districts can't set tax rates in MA, only the Legislature.

OK? No L.A.-ish thing is going to happen here, because the T is constitutionally prohibited from doing referendums. Those examples are always going to be structurally irrelevant here. Any action bankrolling a revenue stream for expansion has to come from Mr. Speakah advancing a transit spending bill to the floor for a change.

I think is the general sentiment trying to be conveyed is, "There should be a tax increase with the proceeds earmarked for transit expansion via whatever political process is required."

Back