General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

I was at DTX from 10 min after the fire was called in until just now. It was really, really bad at first. Thick smoke pouring out. You could barely see the base of the Filene's building.

Interesting to hear the hybrid 60LFRs have multiple power axles. The backbone of Ottawa's bus system are on older 60LFs that are more or less rendered useless once more than 6-9" of snow have fallen. They jackknife going around corners and struggle to get up even slight inclines once the roads get a good coating.

The Ottawa transit committee just agreed to take over the CTA's order for 200+ LFRs because funding from the Illinois government didn't come through and New Flyer needs to fill the slots.

But yes, you're right about the seats in the accordion. They are just as much a PITA to sit in them as they are to try and get through them when all four seats are occupied.

That said, they're pretty sexy looking buses as far as North American buses go. It's too bad that the 60LFRs couldn't get the borderless glass that the 40LFRs have.

From today's globe

Grace notes from the underground
MIT students restoring ingenious, outlandish Kendall T stop sound sculpture
Boston Globe
By Eric Moskowitz

CAMBRIDGE ? Seth Parker stepped off the subway at Kendall Square, pausing amid the rumble and hiss of the departing train.

He was on his way to meet old friends for lunch, but that could wait for the joy of the bells. As people moved about him on the platform, Parker reached for a polished handle on the grime-flecked wall. He gave it a tug, but felt none of the familiar resistance.

The connection was broken. Across the tracks, the bells were still and silent.

In better days, Parker knew, the sculpture that spans the station had made music: resonant, harmonious, even rumbling music, capable of bringing strangers together across the tracks and making people wish, for once, that the trains might arrive just a little slower.

But the massive, carefully tuned elements that hang between the inbound and outbound tracks and comprise the Kendall Band ? ?Pythagoras,?? a row of pendulous, pipe-like bells and mallets; ?Kepler,?? a hammer and a ring big enough for a dolphin to leap through; and ?Galileo,?? a metal sheet the size of a barn door ? have been quieted by disrepair.

The elegant network of rods, cables, and gears linking the sculptural elements to levers on the subway platforms has eroded, and sculptor Paul Matisse, Henri?s 77-year-old grandson, no longer has the time and energy to maintain the work.

Others had lamented the loss of the music, but it was Parker, a 57-year-old energy consultant, who got the right people to pay attention. Last summer, he started making calls, to the MBTA, to MIT, to anyone he could think of who might be able to help.

His pleas reached the ears of a sympathetic music administrator at MIT, who alerted a materials science instructor at the university, and together they assembled a group of students intrigued by the challenge. Now the Kendall Band Preservation Society, as members dubbed themselves, has begun to dismantle the sculpture, haul its parts to MIT?s Rapid Fabrication Laboratory, and painstakingly repair a beloved sound sculpture that has been broken for so long most of today?s students have never heard its music swell in the station or rise faintly above ground.

Parker, a Newton resident who passes through Kendall Square from time to time, has receded into the background.

?Basically, I got the ball rolling, but I haven?t had to do anything since, other than get the occasional e-mail,?? he said, sounding sheepish about his role in the restoration.

But his initial calls were like pulling a lever on the Kendall Band, when it works: a little effort, carefully timed, can have a powerful effect.

Moving parts
Paul Matisse has been labeled an artist, an inventor, and an engineer, but he is uncomfortable with titles. He has an unhurried way of speaking, a bohemian air, and a boyish sense of wonder.

?This business of making things is the heart of it,?? he said, between sips of pomegranate juice, at a table fashioned from the baptismal font of the restored church in Groton where he lives and works. ?My greatest interest is in life itself, and working that out properly, and keeping the window open for the ideas that are inside.??

Matisse is not only a grandson of Henri Matisse, but a stepson of Marcel Duchamp. If his works echo theirs, it is in their playfulness, Henri Matisse?s love of color and fluidity, and Duchamp?s freedom from the past.

Paul Matisse is twice a dropout of the Harvard Graduate School of Design, where he studied to be an architect. For a time, he worked building geodesic domes for Buckminster Fuller. He spent a year turning an 18-inch Alexander Calder model into a 76-foot, 920-pound mobile for the National Gallery of Art.

He devoted the 1960s to fabricating something he called the Kalliroscope, a glass-encased mix of fluid and crystalline powder that, when shaken or warmed, creates a swirl of graceful, mesmerizing currents. He made thousands, selling small versions at book shops and department stores and larger ones at galleries, but said he lacked the business acumen to turn a profit.

He once built a musical fence for the city of Cambridge, a set of tuned pipes aligned like pickets, that proved so popular it had to be dismantled and removed because it kept neighbors awake at night. Thirty years ago, he won a commission to create a work for the Kendall T station, part of an ?Arts on the Line?? program to beautify stations along the Red Line.

The other artists, as a rule, produced art that required no maintenance. Matisse, who wanted to make something that would encourage interaction and provide pleasing tones between the cacophony of arriving and departing trains, did not.

?You?d probably have to say it was folly of me to press ahead and present them with something that had moving parts,?? Matisse said. ?I figured it was going to be all right.??

?Please fix it!?
The Kendall Band broke almost immediately after it was installed. Matisse had spent years honing and calibrating the pieces before the new Kendall Square station was dedicated in October 1987. But Pythagoras, the row of bells, failed even before Galileo and Kepler were fully in place.

?The problems all relate to my underestimation of the strength of humanity,?? Matisse wrote in a Nov. 4, 1987, letter to T riders that he taped up in the station as he dismantled the new sculpture for repairs. ?With any luck at all, we will make it last forever.??

By the time Matisse returned to the station, somebody had scrawled, ?Please fix it!?? on the margins of his note. When Pythagoras broke again, Matisse posted a new note, generating a new set of messages from passengers. ?Keep up the good work!?? and ?Thanks for the explanation!??

But there was debate, too.

?If you spent my tax $ on this,?? one anonymous rider wrote, ?then may you DIE SLOWLY!!??

?If you spent tax dollars on this,?? someone else replied below it, ?may you live long + happily.??

Over the ensuing years, joints gave out, weldings failed, bearings slipped. Each fix brought new solutions, like a hidden set of clutches that disengage the levers from the instruments when someone yanks too hard or too fast.

On each visit, Matisse left a note, returning always to find the margins covered with comments, in cramped print and elegant script, in English and French and Arabic, with praise, encouragement, criticism, and advice.

?I can?t stay away from it.??

?Great to do while stoned!??

?Thank you for making me forget the horrors of this day.??

?Try to get a tapered connection from the first vertical to the second on this side and an oversized second vertical linkage with perhaps an internal shock absorber.??

?La mejor estacion del mundo.??

Matisse never tired of the Kendall Band or the messages, but after nearly 20 years, he began to grow weary of the maintenance. He tried to interest various organizations and corporations, but had little luck.

?I just kept it going, and then at one point I decided that I was just going to have to let it go out on its own,?? he said. ?Sort of like one?s kids. The time comes.??

Student repair crew
On a Thursday evening last month, the Kendall Band Preservation Society gathered on the outbound platform to begin removing handles and connectors.

The entreaties by Parker had reached a music and theater administrator at MIT, Clarise Snyder, who in turn enlisted Michael Tarkanian, a materials science and engineering instructor.

?When you?re at MIT, you have a lot of difficult days when you?re a student, especially an undergrad, and the bells always made me feel better,?? said Tarkanian, a Brockton native who earned a pair of MIT degrees and now runs the fabricating lab, a high-tech workshop.

Tarkanian and Snyder put the word out and soon attracted dozens of students, all too young to have been at MIT when the sculpture functioned fully.

They got permission from the T to work in the station, and some traveled to Groton to meet Matisse, who explained the finer points of the Kendall Band, the blueprints for which were lost in a hard-drive crash. The students hope to have the Kendall Band working again by winter.

?There?s a novelty to it, and a great satisfaction in being able to cross those boundaries that you normally cannot cross,?? said Maxwell Mann, a sophomore from Falmouth.

To passersby, the students? work in the station might have looked like an MIT prank-in-progress, or the setup to a joke: seven young men wearing reflective MBTA vests over mismatched street clothes, pushing a cart laden with power tools, duct tape, and plastic ties, huddled around a hand crank.

Two steadied a ladder, two turned wrenches, one took notes on a double-sided clipboard, two observed. All chimed in, talking over one another at times, debating the best way to disengage clips, or the proper nomenclature for labeling removed bolts.

Two MBTA inspectors waved passengers along in nothing-to-see-here fashion. Richard A. Davey Jr., the new general manager of the T and an avowed fan of the Kendall Band, stopped by to wish them luck.

The students toiled late into the night, and returned the next week to start on the inbound side. They taped up notes, just as Matisse had done so many times, explaining their repair project. Already, the margins have filled with messages. Some are scatological, some are cynical, but most are genuine expressions of thanks.

?Hurry,?? someone scribbled, finding room in an upper corner of the page. ?I miss it.??

Boston Globe - May 10, 2010
Rider miffed over Green Line, bus hassles

By Christina Pazzanese, Globe Correspondent | May 10, 2010

Brian Clague is a busy musician who makes up to eight trips a day on the MBTA and tells GlobeWatch he?s aggravated by what he calls the T?s ?infuriating?? practice of sending several Green Line trains at once for no apparent reason. Though it happens on the B and D lines, too, the problem most often occurs on the C line, he says.

?C trains outbound [come] in rapid succession, the first being jammed full and the rest being almost empty, and then expressing three of them in a row past freezing passengers waiting for an inbound train,?? he wrote in an e-mail. ?Perhaps rush hour is the worst. Obviously some allegedly professional dispatcher is sending these trains when what we need is simply a train every x minutes, x being a smaller number at rush hour or during sporting events or other large crowd moments. . . . What?s particularly infuriating is when you?ve waited for a long time, can?t get on the first train, squeeze onto the second train, and then they announce that they are expressing that train to thus and so and everybody has to get off and wait for a third train, onto which they may or not get on.??

Clague says the problem also exists on bus lines, particularly the No. 1 bus that travels between Cambridge and Roxbury.

?The T can explain it as a traffic issue but it?s not, it?s a dispatch issue, which you can determine by sitting in Harvard Square and watching the departure frequency of the No. 1 bus. They?ll send four No. 1 buses ? one right after another ? and then not send another for half an hour. I think some of this is the drivers wishing to get to the end of their run for their coffee break, or to sign out and go home,?? he wrote.

European cities use computerized dispatch systems to make sure service matches the appropriate level of demand coverage, Clague says.

?Is it really rocket science to send a train out at regularly scheduled intervals ? perhaps adjusted for rush hour or known traffic jams like ballgames ? to avoid this wasteful use of empty trains? I think the arrival of a new MBTA general manager provides an excellent opportunity to see if the GM intends to look into this as both a resource management and customer service issue.??

THE MBTA RESPONDS
?The Green Line schedules trips on the Beacon Street line every six minutes from Cleveland Circle during the rush hours,?? wrote Lydia Rivera, a Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority spokeswoman, in an e-mail.

?Once a train leaves, many variables like intersections, autos on the right of way, and heavy passenger boarding . . . can take place,?? she wrote. ?Green Line operators never make adjustments such as expressing or holding on their own.??

The spacing between cars is monitored by inspectors and dispatchers who have a better picture of what?s going on by monitoring vehicles remotely on computer screens to gauge train traffic, she said.

?They make adjustments like expressing of trains or crossing back trains at Coolidge Corner and/or short-tripping in an attempt to get trains back on schedule. If we didn?t do that, we would be running behind schedule inbound and outbound. We do not have the luxury to ?go around? a train,?? she wrote.

Rivera added ?every attempt?? is made to get trains back on schedule and to reduce delays by having staffers ?constantly?? review schedules to make necessary adjustments. As for drivers who skip over waiting passengers, Rivera said that?s not allowed and the T ?will interview and possibly discipline employees who are in violation of our rules.??

When I lived at the end of the Commonwealth Avenue line, the cause of clumping was card games among the drivers. The card games were clearly visible from the sidewalk. When the card game could no longer be reasonably prolonged, the drivers scattered to their various trains and formed a nice clump of three or four trains in a row.

Dispatchers? Heck, they were part of the card game.

"Fuck everybody!" was clearly their stance. Have you ever seen one of these guys sadistically shut the door and take off when an old lady was hobbling along to catch the train?

What is it that makes Boston's working-class government employees (don't even talk to me about the cops!) so demoniacally obnoxious?

You don't find as much of this even in New York.

Punks.

Boston Metro - May 17, 2010
Newest reason to root against N.Y.

Shortly before the Yankees won two of three against the Red Sox earlier this month, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority threw down the gauntlet on a new front of the East Coast?s fiercest rivalry: transit apps.

During the MTA?s Developers Conference, Chairman Jay Walder said the city?s tech-savvy community needs to ?Crush Boston.?

Following in the footsteps of MassDOT, the MTA recently started unlocking data for software developers interested in building applications and tools for riders.

?Thanks for confirming that we lead the nation,? MassDOT Secretary Jeffery Mullan tweeted on May 7. ?Game on.?

More than a dozen applications helping MBTA riders were built in nine months, making Boston the model for real-time transit information.

?Boston was there before us and people have seen by doing this, there has been quick, affective change,? Walder said in an interview with StreetFilms. ?... We don?t move on anything that quickly.?

Mullan said MassDOT can simultaneously be competitive and collaborative.

?It?s not a zero sum game,? he said. ?... Competition is fun and also fun for workers. They can pick up on the whole sports metaphor. ... I would never hesitate to tell New York transit ?Boston beat you handily.? We?re better looking; and nicer too.?

Check out tomorrow?s Metro to see new ideas in the works for MBTA riders.

This appears to be new:

Bike Ports
Covered bike parking is being installed at many stations (at 50 stations by Spring 2011) to provide protection from the elements. The Bike Ports are well located for safety and security. Please don′t forget to lock your bike!

NOTE: These are different from the bike cages as Alewife, Forest Hills, and as of this week, South Station. I have no idea what it is.

Also:
A Bike CharlieCard gives you Pedal & Park access. Bike CharlieCards are free of charge and obtainable from station staff where Pedal & Parks are located. It gives you access to Pedal & Park facilities systemwide ? just tap the card at the Pedal & Park gate. Beginning December 31, 2010, all existing and new Bike CharlieCards must be registered online.

Finally!

Last edited:

Brilliant idea! Hell, I'd even pay for one of those.

No, this is the new name for the bike cages.

No, this is the new name for the bike cages.

Im a dumbass. I pasted the wrong thing, I was talking about this:

Bike Ports
Covered bike parking is being installed at many stations (at 50 stations by Spring 2011) to provide protection from the elements. The Bike Ports are well located for safety and security. Please don′t forget to lock your bike!

The big June changes have been made available!

http://mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/bus/schedule_changes/default.asp?id=19105

Major changes I noticed:

8- The last weekday trips have been eliminated.
25 - SERVICE CANCELLED
29 - The last weekday trips have been eliminated
73 - Electric service eliminated for the next few months, longer headways

Essentially, looks like across the board service cuts.

It's not mentioned there, but NETransit claims the new articulated buses on the #39 are being reassigned to the #28.

Dieseling of the 73 is going to suck especially if they increase headways.

Why are they dieselising the 73? Do they need to make repairs to the wire?

The 25 was an experiment in short-turn 28 buses for morning rush hour only. I guess the experiment wasn't successful.

Some of the service cutbacks just reflect reduced summer ridership.

Why are they dieselising the 73? Do they need to make repairs to the wire?

Construction along the route (but not on the power system itself) will require the lines to be de-energized until at least sometime this fall.

I live on the 71. When the 73 runs with diesel buses only I'm hoping for more trackless trolleys on the 71.

I've always been pissed off that the T replaced 40 of the old flyer trackless trolleys with only 24 of newer trackless trolleys. Service has never been the same.

I'm glad they didn't cut down on the 428 that goes by my neighborhood. I saw it on the list and I was like "Shiiiit!", but it was just a schedule update. It's very valuable when I don't have a car available.

It only has 1 regular rider past Saugus Center. Maybe even just 1 regular past Revere, period. They get off just past the Lynn Fells Parkway. The bus then continues to Wakefield High out of service and then it must go back to the Everett Shops for the night. No complaints here though, keep it comin'. :)

Boston Globe - June 25, 2010
Blaming BC students? Not so fast

By Brian McGrory, Globe Columnist | June 25, 2010

When a sport utility vehicle jammed with Boston College students collided with a Green Line trolley on a Saturday night in late April, outraged MBTA officials wasted no time in placing blame. Barely a day passed before they said they would pursue criminal charges and demanded restitution for their damaged rail car.

Three members of the BC hockey team, which had just won the national championship, were passengers in the Jeep, and detectives found the vehicle strewn with beer cans and a bottle of vodka. ?These students should be held accountable for their reckless and dangerous behavior,?? railed the MBTA police chief the day after the crash.

All of which turned a relatively minor incident into national news, splashed across the pages and websites of The New York Times, USA Today, ESPN, and the Huffington Post, as well as every major media outlet in Boston. The hockey team not only failed to receive the customary White House invitation that national champions receive, it hasn?t gotten so much as a congratulatory sign on the Massachusetts Turnpike.

But since then, the story has taken several striking twists, far from the glare of the cameras. In May, with no fanfare, the MBTA suspended the trolley driver for two weeks after the agency?s investigators determined he was driving 35 miles per hour at the time of the crash, well over the 10-mile-per-hour speed limit, T officials confirmed yesterday.

Then, in a closed-door hearing in Brighton District Court last week, the most serious charges against Jane Stanton, the BC student driving the Jeep, were abruptly dismissed. Her toxicology tests showed she had not been drinking, her cellphone records showed she had not been texting, and she faced only three civil traffic infractions, officials and her lawyer said.

And yesterday, amid inquiries from the Globe, T officials said they were suspending the trolley driver indefinitely and pursuing perjury charges against him for testimony he gave in a hearing about the crash.

Operator Edwin Dieujuste, 34, testified before a clerk magistrate that he had a clean motor vehicle driving record, several officials said, though a subsequent review revealed multiple moving violations in Florida and Massachusetts.

Dieujuste, who was informed of his recent suspension yesterday, could not be reached for comment. He did not respond to an e-mail sent via Facebook.

The case has more jerking turns than a Green Line ride at rush hour. It left Jane Stanton?s lawyer proclaiming exoneration for his client yesterday (and threatening a lawsuit); BC officials blaming the MBTA for rushing to judgment; and T officials saying fault should be shared by everyone involved in the crash.

?I think both parties were responsible,?? said T general manager Richard Davey, adding that Stanton?s SUV was packed with fellow students who had been drinking. ?The T and Boston College students could have done a better job that night existing with each other, on the road and on the track.??

But Stanton?s lawyer, Paul F. Walsh Jr., said his client was performing the critical role of a good and responsible friend: serving as a designated driver.

?Jane Stanton didn?t cause this accident,?? said Walsh. ?They maligned a poor freshman at BC who was doing the right thing. She was the designated driver. She?s a good kid. She feels awful.??

The T pursued three criminal charges against Stanton, according to several authorities: operating a motor vehicle to endanger, a minor transporting alcohol, and leaving the scene of property damage. All charges were dismissed last Thursday in the closed-door hearing before Brighton District Court Clerk-Magistrate Patricia McDermott.

Stanton was held responsible and paid fines on three civil infractions? an open container of alcohol violation, impeded operation of a motor vehicle, and uniform stopping and turning. The impeded operation, officials say, was for having so many passengers in the car, and the uniform stopping and turning was for not having enough caution when she crossed the trolley tracks. Each carried a $35 fine, while the fine for the open container was $500.

All the passengers were also held responsible for the open container violation at a separate hearing.

On the night of the crash, the friends, freshmen at BC, dined at an Applebee?s, then attended a party near campus. There were seven passengers in the Jeep Cherokee, including three members of the national championship hockey team and one member of the women?s lacrosse team.

The trolley was traveling west on Commonwealth Avenue just after midnight as Stanton attempted to cross its path while making a U-turn. After the crash, some of the passengers in the Jeep fled the area, and Stanton drove another 500 feet before stopping. She suffered severe facial cuts and later told detectives she couldn?t remember anything about the accident. Detectives tracked down several passengers in the hospital. No trolley passengers were injured.

Angry T officials immediately said they would press charges and seek damages, and the storyline was indeed alluring: drunken BC kids cause mishap near campus. But within a month, with no public notice, Dieujuste was suspended for 10 days and sent to a retraining course.

Informed by the Globe yesterday that the trolley operator had been suspended and the BC driver had all criminal charges dismissed, BC spokesman Jack Dunn did nothing to hide his anger at T officials.

?The T, particularly the chief, painted it as drunken college students,?? said Dunn. ?The driver doesn?t drink. She was sober and making a legal turn.??

Dunn said the students had always told BC officials that the trolley appeared to, in his words, ?be flying out of nowhere.?? He said they left the scene, dazed, to seek medical treatment.

Of the fact that underaged students were drinking, he said, ?The student athletes are not blameless. While we?re pleased to hear that their account appears to be validated by the investigation, they still face university sanctions for underage drinking.??

Walsh, Stanton?s lawyer, described ?a rush to judgment,?? saying, ?I got frantic calls ? ?We want her medical records. We want toxicology tests. We want her cellphone records.? Clean as a whistle. She was the designated driver. No alcohol, no drugs, no cellphone use, no texting.??

Meantime, Davey, of the MBTA, defended Dieujuste?s hiring yesterday, even though the operator had three separate charges of violating traffic signals in Florida, as well as a speeding violation, since 2003. Under T policy, a driver cannot have two moving violations in the same year within three years of his or her hiring. Dieujuste joined the MBTA in 2008, so his past infractions did not fall within the window of the T?s policy.

Dieujuste had testified in a magistrate?s hearing in May that his driving record was clean. He then failed to attend the hearing against Stanton last week, during which McDermott reviewed his driving record, which included a license suspension.

?Under our policy, this was an appropriate hire,?? Davey said, noting that Dieujuste has had no disciplinary record in his time at the T. ?He had issues five, six, seven years ago. Not being forthcoming about it is something I?m not happy about.??

Brian McGrory is a Globe columnist. He can be reached at mcgrory@globe.com.

Applebees??!?

This is why I love AB. :) Of all the things to be outraged about in that article, it's Applebees that draws out the ire.:D

Back